2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LittleBoxes)
    Goodbye, fantasist.
    Toodles loser (REPORTED)
    Dr B x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brookevesxoxo)
    Tomato Ketchup is my personal fave. All jokes aside I work in line with the exam board so anything you need to ask feel free
    Dr B x
    Do you have a source for your claim?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brookevesxoxo)
    Toodles loser (REPORTED)
    Dr B x
    I would love if you showed us this where you got the information from. I'm quite fascinated.. Does that mean people doing the as physics new spec this year, is doing an new next year for a level?

ReputationRep:
    Can someone explain how and why the amount of diffraction changes when the momentum of a particle is changed???I've tried looking on websites but it still doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _.Iqraaa_)
    Can someone explain how and why the amount of diffraction changes when the momentum of a particle is changed???I've tried looking on websites but it still doesn't seem to make much sense to me.
    larger momentum = larger speed of the particle = smaller de Brogile wavelength = greater diffraction

(Original post by kingaaran)
    larger momentum = larger speed of the particle = smaller de Brogile wavelength = greater diffraction
    doesn't diffraction decrease if the wavelength gets smaller?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haes)
    doesn't diffraction decrease if the wavelength gets smaller?

Not if the wavelength is smaller than the slit width through which the wave is traveling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What are potentiometers?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by kiwifruit99)
    Not if the wavelength is smaller than the slit width through which the wave is traveling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    but i thought that if the wavelength is much smaller than the slit width then diffraction doesn't occur at all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiwifruit99)
    What are potentiometers?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's pretty much the same as a variable resistor. Google for the symbol as it's a little bit difference but not hard to understand. Don't worry about it though because you can always just draw a variable resistor instead

ReputationRep:
    Hey, do you think the grade boundaries are going to be that different/similar to the old spec... I've done all of the old spec's paper and am now consistently getting full ums, so how likely am I to be able to get that in the real thing??

ReputationRep:
    Larger momentum doesn't necessarily mean the particle is moving faster. It could, in fact, mean the particle is just of a greater mass (larger particle).

A smaller de Broglie wavelength will also mean that there's less diffraction and so the interference fringes are less spread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kozmo)
    Larger momentum doesn't necessarily mean the particle is moving faster. It could, in fact, mean the particle is just of a greater mass (larger particle).

A smaller de Broglie wavelength will also mean that there's less diffraction and so the interference fringes are less spread.
    No, I know that, but this is on the assumption that the particle is the same and ignoring relativistic effects.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Whats the difference between line spectra and emission spectra.

ReputationRep:
    No, I know that, but this is on the assumption that the particle is the same and ignoring relativistic effects.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I believe for a smaller de Broglie wave length, the amount of diffraction decreases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    I believe for a smaller de Broglie wave length, the amount of diffraction decreases.
    Yeah that's right, my bad

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blurred)
    Can required practicals come up in paper 1?
    Questions about the theory of the required practicals can come up. I think practical question like methods, graphs and errors are more likely to come up on paper 2.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Someboady)
    Whats the difference between line spectra and emission spectra.
    An emission/absorption spectrum is a type of line spectrum

An emission spectrum is when white light is shone through a hot gas
    Its electrons are in an excited state and so they dexcite emitting photons. These photons are shown as coloured lines on a black spectrum
    An absorption spectrum is when white light is shone through a cold gas
    Its electrons are in the ground state and they absorb the incoming photons to be excited to higher energy levels. These absorbed frequencies/wavelengths of photon are shown as black lines on a continuous spectrum (a pretty rainbow (but don't say that because they don't like that for some reason ehhehe))

:moon:

ReputationRep:
    Last minute tips??

ReputationRep:
    I would say to simply read the question more than twice. You know you've revised well, you know your stuff, just make sure to engage with the question and write everything you know. Go in the exam aiming for full marks! You know it

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 30, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.