• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    RTQ
    Read
    The
    Question

ReputationRep:
    The exams this year don't actually count since its a linear course now its only a way a assessing your progress and in my case going towards my predicted grade

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    An emission/absorption spectrum is a type of line spectrum

An emission spectrum is when white light is shone through a hot gas
    Its electrons are in an excited state and so they dexcite emitting photons. These photons are shown as coloured lines on a black spectrum
    An absorption spectrum is when white light is shone through a cold gas
    Its electrons are in the ground state and they absorb the incoming photons to be excited to higher energy levels. These absorbed frequencies/wavelengths of photon are shown as black lines on a continuous spectrum (a pretty rainbow (but don't say that because they don't like that for some reason ehhehe))

:moon:
    Thanks, much appreciated. So we can say the absorption spectrum and emission spectrum are both line spectra?

(Original post by A-level2016)
    The exams this year don't actually count since its a linear course now its only a way a assessing your progress and in my case going towards my predicted grade
    I plan on dropping it this year so it counts for me D':

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haes)
    I plan on dropping it this year so it counts for me D':
    it still counts for predicted grades :|
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Someboady)
    Thanks, much appreciated. So we can say the absorption spectrum and emission spectrum are both line spectra?
    I believe so Monsieur

ReputationRep:
    Hi can anyone help me on the specimen paper 1 set 2 q4.3 i get how to find the time until the part p in at max height but how did they get the max height? thanks

ReputationRep:
    I really hope that the real exam is easier than the specimen paper cos i think that the specimen is 10x harder than the old spec papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aurora.98)
    Thank you! Best of luck with the exam tomorrow
    You're welcome .

Good luck too!!

ReputationRep:
    I'm dropping physics this year so if I fail, will it affect my uni applications, as they are now only looking at the 3 a levels?

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZq-k7r3FZA
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xUr8qdjSjw

Guy's i have found some useful youtube channels - for lsat minute revision - Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Please help me understand thisAttachment 537019537021Name:  image.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  367.9 KBAttachment 537019537021
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 10moorej)
    Please help me understand thisAttachment 537019537021Name:  image.jpg
Views: 292
Size:  367.9 KBAttachment 537019537021
    Yeah, I don't understand the limitations Q either. :/

ReputationRep:
    In a projectile motion question where you can split it in to 2 stages, the vertical velocity at the peak is 0 right? and the initial horizontal velocity of stage 2 would be the final horizontal velocity of stage 1?

ReputationRep:
    During excitation photons have to have an energy equal to the difference in energy levels, but do colliding electrons? Can an electron with a kinetic energy greater than the difference in energy levels collide and excite the electron?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeRStudent)
    During excitation photons have to have an energy equal to the difference in energy levels, but do colliding electrons? Can an electron with a kinetic energy greater than the difference in energy levels collide and excite the electron?
    Yes, electrons require the amount of energy or higher, however photons need the exact amount of energy.

ReputationRep:
    Does any one know where I can find lots of questions on the specification. I have done all the past papers! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone explain 7.3 on set 2 paper, about the tension. How did anyone get a tension of around 70N. I'm completely baffed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chickenslayer69)
    Yeah, I don't understand the limitations Q either. :/
    The mark scheme also confused me, but my teacher said it is because the cell is only 12V to begin with, then the internal resistance will bring this down so the terminal pd is <12V, so the circuit cannot test the bulb to it's working voltage (12V), and by minimum and maximum it means maximum positive voltage is 12V but it cannot reach it due to the internal resistance, and then minimum is the same but in reverse flow, so -12V cannot be reached either!

Hope that helps

ReputationRep:
    Anyone have a link to the set 2 specimens?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.