Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey. i really need help with coming up with a write up for the "Determination of the Young Modulus by a simple method" required practical. I have been looking online but i don't seem to find any good methods. So can someone please help me with the write up for this particle?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilezzz)
    Hey. i really need help with coming up with a write up for the "Determination of the Young Modulus by a simple method" required practical. I have been looking online but i don't seem to find any good methods. So can someone please help me with the write up for this particle?
    find stress(F/A) and strain(Delta L/L) of the material

the A will be the same, the F will be the dependent variable so you would change the weight (tension) added to the material and then divide by the area ( which will be constant) and plot on the Y axis

then measure the change in the length before and after each weight is added and divide that by the length of the wire material and plot this on the X axis

find the gradient of the line and that will give the young modulus.
    thats the simplest way i can think of:hmmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishea16)
    find stress(F/A) and strain(Delta L/L) of the material

the A will be the same, the F will be the dependent variable so you would change the weight (tension) added to the material and then divide by the area ( which will be constant) and plot on the Y axis

then measure the change in the length before and after each weight is added and divide that by the length of the wire material and plot this on the X axis

find the gradient of the line and that will give the young modulus.
    thats the simplest way i can think of:hmmmm:
    Thank you so much for your help! But shouldn't the extension of the copper wire be on the y-axis as that is what we are measuring in the experiment as you change the tension added each time?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hot&SpicyChicken)
    Yo babe is the technocrates app available on the apple app store?
    Oh it is now here is the link

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/tech...3817?ls=1&mt=8

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else really nervous for this exam? I found the specimen papers really hard :/ I really hope grade boundaries are going to be low for the new specification!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iphysics)
    Is anyone else really nervous for this exam? I found the specimen papers really hard :/ I really hope grade boundaries are going to be low for the new specification!!
    In last year's paper (for the old spec) the grade boundaries were:
    A- 49/70
    B- 43/70
    C- 38/75
    etc

And since the old spec papers seem easier, hopefully the boundaries will be even lower than this for the new spec considering it will be harder (if its anything like the specimen papers)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyjellytot14)
    In last year's paper (for the old spec) the grade boundaries were:
    A- 49/70
    B- 43/70
    C- 38/75
    etc

And since the old spec papers seem easier, hopefully the boundaries will be even lower than this for the new spec considering it will be harder (if its anything like the specimen papers)
    Ugh please say they're a lot lower... I want at least 60% to be an A considering the difficulty of their specimen papers fgs. How are you guys revising for this subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    Ugh please say they're a lot lower... I want at least 60% to be an A considering the difficulty of their specimen papers fgs. How are you guys revising for this subject?
    I'm just doing old spec past papers and hoping they are somewhat similar to how the exam will be I also have flashcards for the definitions and regularly asked questions etc

The spec papers were horrible. Do you think the real exam will really be that hard or was AQA just showing us what the worst would look like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haes)
    The spec papers were horrible. Do you think the real exam will really be that hard or was AQA just showing us what the worst would look like?
    Only time will tell. I personally think the papers we'll be given will be similar though perhaps not quite as difficult. But very similar in terms of style of questioning.

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please link the SET 2 specimen papers, i've done set one but not set two. Would be really grateful if someone could send the link please as its not on the AQA website.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone got predictions for 6 markers or experiments that may come up?

ReputationRep:
    Yes I am very nervous. The specimen papers were so bad. All of the old past papers are so easy, I find the practical paper impossible! Plus those multiple choice questions are so hard, if they were not out of a possible 4 choices and just a question there would be like 3 or 4 marks for each, somehow adding 4 choices lowers it down to 1mark even though we have to do the same amount of working and take up as much time as a 3/ 4 mark question!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)
    The filament lamp will have a resistance at the beginning when there is no current, let's say X. As you add current, the filament heats up and your resistance then changes with current.

Think about it: any component will have resistance whether or not current is flowing through it, because it is a property of the component. If you were to draw a graph of the resistance of a fixed 5 ohm resistor against current, would you start with your resistance at 0 or will it be a horizontal line through 5? Same logic applies here, just that, now, our resistance is changing

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Wait, but R = V/I, and you can't divide by zero, so it current is zero, surely it's impossible to have a resistance?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Exavior)
    Yes I am very nervous. The specimen papers were so bad. All of the old past papers are so easy, I find the practical paper impossible! Plus those multiple choice questions are so hard, if they were not out of a possible 4 choices and just a question there would be like 3 or 4 marks for each, somehow adding 4 choices lowers it down to 1mark even though we have to do the same amount of working and take up as much time as a 3/ 4 mark question!!!
    At my school the average score was below 30 on each paper, those specimen papers were crazy. There were some questions absolutely nobody got right and they said that if it was a real paper there was no way some of those questions would have got passed all the checks they have to make sure papers are fair and non-stupid, so I wouldn't be too worried about them. Still, the multiple choice section is ridiculous, I didn't even get to the end of it before running out of time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EndOfTheTour)
    At my school the average score was below 30 on each paper, those specimen papers were crazy. There were some questions absolutely nobody got right and they said that if it was a real paper there was no way some of those questions would have got passed all the checks they have to make sure papers are fair and non-stupid, so I wouldn't be too worried about them. Still, the multiple choice section is ridiculous, I didn't even get to the end of it before running out of time.
    Yeah those multiple choice questions are impossible. I spend 5 minuets per question and I finally get to an answer and I'm like " YES the answer I worked out is in the choices, HAHA it must be right!" and then it turns out that the answer is not even right!

It seems as if every exam is a whole lot harder this year, its just not fair on us! I am absolutely dreading this exam!

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else think that the questions in the sample were completely different to the ones from past exam papers??

ReputationRep:
    So glad I'm not the only one stressing out about the exam haha!! I agree, the multiple choice takes so much longer than the 1 minute we are supposed to spend on each question! Most of my class got either an E or U in the specimen papers we did so hopefully they won't be as hard :/

ReputationRep:
    So glad I'm not the only one stressing out about the exam haha!! I agree, the multiple choice takes so much longer than the 1 minute we are supposed to spend on each question! Most of my class got either an E or U in the specimen papers we did so hopefully they won't be as hard :/
    I really hope so otherwise I will fail more then that damn edexcel c1 paper on Wednesday!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lola1244)
    has anyone tried the specimen papers. I found them hard lol
    My whole class, including me, had our confidence crushed after those papers :'(

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.