Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016 Watch

(Original post by 11234)
    But last years paper was out of 60 I think and I dont think it was the same difficulty as last years.
    Unit 1 was out of 70 and it was 48/49 for an A

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cinna21)
    Totally agree because like someone wrote early the melted chocolates were at nodes however they don't vibrate so how on earth does heat up. Ridiculous and that harmonic frequency was hard because was it 6cm or 12cm argh
    i thought 6cm at first but then i changed it to 12cm, no starting to think it was 6 again! ugh

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone get a small force for the stress/young's modulus question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CrazyFool229)
    Did anyone get a small force for the stress/young's modulus question?
    23N? or something similar?

ReputationRep:
    What did people get for the airplane question?

ReputationRep:
    Nah, 3 antinodes means 3rd harmonic, so 1 and a half wavelength. If I can remember correctly it was 120mm for 3 antinodes so 2/3 x 120 = 80mm was wavelength.[/QUOTE]

Argh I knew I should of tried to re do that question I'm sure i got some marks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MimiH04)
    I thought this was paper was pretty difficult, messed up the 6 marker! What property of material A did everyone put? Many people said elastic
    Brittle, cos it didnt show any plastic deformation upto its breaking stress

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bowliez)
    Bugger.... Somehow I like 0.023 or whatever,... Must have buggered up the conversions. Actually yes I did just realised I accidentally did 10^6 rather than 10^9 so I'm out by a bit... Stupid mistake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    i thought 6cm at first but then i changed it to 12cm, no starting to think it was 6 again! ugh
    I put 12 because distance between two antinodes is 6 and thats lambda/2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    Really I put antinodes because theyre points of max energy/amplitude
    Yes so did I but if you remember the diagram in the exams the chocolates were at nodes which is extremely odd unless i'm not reading the diagram properly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bowliez)
    i thought i got a really big force ;/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    Nah, 3 antinodes means 3rd harmonic, so 1 and a half wavelength. If I can remember correctly it was 120mm for 3 antinodes so 2/3 x 120 = 80mm was wavelength.
    I forgot that....I got wavelength as 120mm. How many marks would I lose[/QUOTE]

But the question had 2 antinodes didn't it? and 3 nodes? So the second harmonic so it equals 1 wavelength? I did it both ways then I crossed out the third harmonic one as realised it was the second.

ReputationRep:
    Nah, 3 antinodes means 3rd harmonic, so 1 and a half wavelength. If I can remember correctly it was 120mm for 3 antinodes so 2/3 x 120 = 80mm was wavelength.
    Argh I knew I should of tried to re do that question I'm sure i got some marks though[/QUOTE]

I thought Node to Node / Antinode to Antinode is always half a wavelength? so the wavelength was around 120mm (6x2)

ReputationRep:
    Argh I knew I should of tried to re do that question I'm sure i got some marks though[/QUOTE]

No wait, if it STARTED at an antinode and finished at another with one inbetween is it not one wavelength because the third harmonic starts with nodes. I did by the distance between antinodes being lambda/2

Do they tell us if we get marks for significant figures?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    I put 12 because distance between two antinodes is 6 and thats lambda/2.
    well i assumed the dots were the nodes so it would be half a wavelength therefore 12cm. i just hope I'm right since i now know they were antinodes not nodes

ReputationRep:
    What did people get for the percentage change in diameter. Did anyone get 0.79%

ReputationRep:
    Im sure its 12- it is like the 3rd one on this picture. 1 wavelength would be the distance between the 1st and 3rd antinode

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaltandSugar)
    i thought i got a really big force ;/
    It was the cross sectional area, which was (d/2)^2 pi, then multiplied by the stress which was something Giga, x10^9? Thats what I did not sure if its right though.

ReputationRep:
    Guys what did you pick for the meterial of the wires?

I picked BC

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.