Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    For the electricity question, part a) i did 1.5/0.66 for the current. Part b i got 0.065 ohms, part c i got 0.12, do any of these numbers ring a bell?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amy123d)
    hI what did everyone get for the first question does the momentum increase/decrease or stay the same
    Momentum increases.

It stated that the air was a higher speed after it had been heated up in the engine.

momentum = mass x velocity

A constant mass but an increase in velocity gives a greater momentum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BainesyA)
    The worst part is an examiners response to your seemingly correct answer would be

"This student cant be sure that the distance travelled is 853m due to the initial velocity being to two significant figures, they have shown a lack of understanding and therefore lose a mark"

I agree 853m should be correct too
    I've done Mechanics 1 and Mechanics 2, if you put 850m in those exams, you would lose a mark

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BainesyA)
    Should always measure over a larger distance because it reduces percentage error in readings
    but 12cm still correct though right? I mean, they don't know I did it that way, all they see is what I took the wavelength to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edothero)
    I've done Mechanics 1 and Mechanics 2 for Maths and F Maths, if you put 850m in those exams, you would lose a mark
    We all wish they would have consistency across all exams. These sig figs are going to lose us all marks even though all our answers are right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jackmapperley)
    anyone else round the 11.8cm for the wavelength in the chocolate question to 12 cm?
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    but 12cm still correct though right? I mean, they don't know I did it that way, all they see is what I took the wavelength to be.
    The mark scheme will have a tolerance of values. I presume 11.7cm - 12.0cm being the tolerance but that is only a guess

ReputationRep:
    It's worrying me how everyone is saying how easy the paper was.. Did anyone else find it really hard or is it just me?:/

ReputationRep:
    It was 2.7ms^-2, using F=ma

And the question after it told us the speed when it touched the runway was 68ms^-1, you know a and you know it goes until its at rest
    So

s = s

u = 68ms^{-1}

v = 0ms^{-1}

a = -2.71ms^{-2}

t = t

You can ignore t here, it's irrelevant

Using v^{2} = u^{2} + 2as

0 = 68^{2} + 2(-2.71)s

\therefore 5.42s = 68^{2}

s = \dfrac{68^{2}}{5.42} = 853.13 = 853m
    Do you think its fine if i rounded that down to 850m?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whatevenemily)
    It's worrying me how everyone is saying how easy the paper was.. Did anyone else find it really hard or is it just me?:/
    I think there was a real mix. I know someone in my class found it really hard, others found it ok. I wouldn't worry too much, I don't think many people found it easy. If you ever want cheering up, I read the twitter comments, they're always funny

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamDev)
    You should be good :yy:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamDev)
    850m is the rounding the examiner desires

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnsonJ)
    For the electricity question, part a) i did 1.5/0.66 for the current. Part b i got 0.065 ohms, part c i got 0.12, do any of these numbers ring a bell?
    yes, i got the same for b and c, dont remember for a

ReputationRep:
    I don't believe anyone found it easy.

The common view is that it was harder than all past papers, but easier than the specimen paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    Do you reckon boundaries will go up down or stay the same
    As this is a new spec you really can't compare the grade boundaries with the previous years. I would just sit back and enjoy your summer.
    Grade boundaries are typically released 1 day before results day, which would be the 17th of August this year.

ReputationRep:
    Well it was a lot easier than the specimen papers, but I'd say it was similar if not maybe a little harder than the old physics past papers I've done. I predict an A to be about 48/70 give or take 2.

But even if you messed it up, don't worry, its only half of the marks gone, and the next paper will be a lot easier since it is 30 marks multiple choice, 20 marks practical and only 20 marks in the same style as this paper we did today.

The multiple choice should be quite easy as should the practical bit so you've got 50/70 easy marks to cash in and two weeks to revise for it!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else completely **** up a few 2 markers and only write down a bunch of things they thought might be relevant? Also how ****ed am I if I did assuming I did good on the rest of the paper (which I think I did)?

ReputationRep:
    You should be good :yy:
    Cheers

ReputationRep:
    What did people get for the percentage change in the diameter of the wire?

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone refresh the page, read a comment and be like 'yes I did the same' and then realise it's what you wrote...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.