Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    what material should i use to hang myself

ReputationRep:
    This was by far not an "easy paper", and people who are saying it was are just those 1 or 2 geniuses everyone has in their class. Not only did you have to revise the FULL spec (eg Stopping potential) but you had to apply your knowledge across the whole exam. Also there was like 2 questions on Particles? (Discounting the Photoelectric effect) and Particles is the easiest topic of the lot (Amirite)? I think the examiners know the particles topic is just a revision exercise hence why they kept the easy questions on there at a minimal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Person18)
    I think there was a real mix. I know someone in my class found it really hard, others found it ok. I wouldn't worry too much, I don't think many people found it easy. If you ever want cheering up, I read the twitter comments, they're always funny
    Thanks for the advice, I might check out Twitter then to make myself feel better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inam97)
    As a private candidate who has taught himself the new spec i hated that paper (If I can get a B I'd be really happy)
    Hi Inam - yes, I'm a self-taught private candidate and I hated that. Like you, I'd be really happy with a B but felt I was more of a C.

ReputationRep:
    Hi lots of people saying D was obviously the bungee cord. However, surely because it plastically deformed easily, it would make a rubbish bungee cord? Like imagine jumping and your cord just got longer and longer, you wouldn't be doing much bouncing

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know what the question on wave particle duality was I think I misread it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raiba)
    what material should i use to hang myself
    Material C because it's less likely to snap

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    Well it was a lot easier than the specimen papers, but I'd say it was similar if not maybe a little harder than the old physics past papers I've done. I predict an A to be about 48/70 give or take 2.

But even if you messed it up, don't worry, its only half of the marks gone, and the next paper will be a lot easier since it is 30 marks multiple choice, 20 marks practical and only 20 marks in the same style as this paper we did today.

The multiple choice should be quite easy as should the practical bit so you've got 50/70 easy marks to cash in and two weeks to revise for it!
    Have you seen paper 2 on the second set? Its virtually impossible and by no means is the multiple choice "easy marks".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by QS2Nabz)
    for the photoelctric effect, did anyone write current increases with intensity?? since more electrons are released per a second
    Yep, I did.

ReputationRep:
    It there a unofficial mark scheme yet??

ReputationRep:
    So if I got 55/70 on the specimen paper, and think this one probably went generally better, except for 2-3 two markers where I didn't know the answer and just wrote down a bunch of relevant-ish points, is that good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BotUnfair)
    Hi lots of people saying D was obviously the bungee cord. However, surely because it plastically deformed easily, it would make a rubbish bungee cord? Like imagine jumping and your cord just got longer and longer, you wouldn't be doing much bouncing
    This is what I wrote, also that it's breaking stress was too low for the high forces it was required to carry, but at the end I put in brackets that I also thought D could be a good bungee cord since a lift weighs a lot more than a bungee jumper so the low breaking stress wouldn't matter. I wonder how that will turn out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnsonJ)
    For the electricity question, part a) i did 1.5/0.66 for the current. Part b i got 0.065 ohms, part c i got 0.12, do any of these numbers ring a bell?
    Same as me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BotUnfair)
    I thought it was C. D would be good because it's very 'elasticy' but cannot cope with a lot of stress, therefore not very safe as could break under persons weight. Tbh as they didn't give any numbers, they should have leniency in the mark scheme.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aeroline1999)
    I did CD too. D was obviously the answer for bungee but I reckon B or C for the elevator cable. I said C because it strikes a balance between strength and some ability to extend. B was too brittle, it wouldn't allow much extension as the elevator accelerates upwards thus momentarily increasing the load, requiring some stretchiness. But C is both very strong and ductile. Although I never said the word ductile. Damn, wish I had now, I couldn't think of the proper word for stretchy
    Yes same that exactly what I wrote and I just wrote the wire stretches thats fine right ? Theres not much words you could use , I was going to write elasticity but like that wouldn't work.

And Yes I wrote ductile , Also I don't think there was a definite answer because in the mark scheme it said state your reasons why so as long as its logical to some extent it should be ok. But Yeah hopefully we did well on the QWC and well the whole paper haha

ReputationRep:
    The last question was weak nuclear right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EndOfTheTour)
    This is what I wrote, also that it's breaking stress was too low for the high forces it was required to carry, but at the end I put in brackets that I also thought D could be a good bungee cord since a lift weighs a lot more than a bungee jumper so the low breaking stress wouldn't matter. I wonder how that will turn out.
    The question said state the reasons why... to me it felt like there was more than once answer they are probably just looking for key physics terms thats why I racked my brain hard to remember UTC and all that shizzle :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logic4Life)
    This was by far not an "easy paper", and people who are saying it was are just those 1 or 2 geniuses everyone has in their class. Not only did you have to revise the FULL spec (eg Stopping potential) but you had to apply your knowledge across the whole exam.
    I know, Christ its like you actually had to use your brain for an exam. At least you might get a grade in your media studies exam.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have the paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EndOfTheTour)

I put B for the bungee as it could take the highest forces and still be elastic and it had that small safety buffer where it deformed plastically as a form of safety. I put the lift was C as it took a lot of stress before breaking meaning it was safer. You could have put B and C the other way round tho I imagine

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.