Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BotUnfair)
    Pretty sure I read that it was the frequency of both photons. If you'd divided total energy by 2 you'd just end up at where you started.
    They would never ask you to find the frequency of the whole energy. That question is a trap because you can get the answer by using one of the rest energies and using E=hf but to get the method marks you have to times by two and then convert and then divide

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BotUnfair)
    Exactly what I was saying lol, glad I'm not alone on that one
    Believe it was one, I first did two and then re-read the question and I'm pretty sure it said "for each photon"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BainesyA)
    I don't want to say you are wrong because I cant remember the question exactly.

But I remember the question saying it left at a higher speed that is entered, quite vividly. I think you may have the question mixed up?

Or I do, but lets try find out if someone has the question
    It definitely specified that the speed stayed the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mz123)
    how did you find the resistance of the metal probe thing ?
    Rearrange the formula for resistivity to find R.

ReputationRep:

But I remember the question saying it left at a higher speed that is entered, quite vividly. I think you may have the question mixed up?

I think the question is : Why does the air has a different momentum after it left the engine and hit the plate assuming its speed stays the same? (not sure tho)

ReputationRep:
    what did you guys write for the question which asked: Why did momentum change?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pippaaa99)
    The question specified that the speed stayed the same. The air changed direction so the velocity changed so that caused momentum to change.
    There were 2 similar questions. The first stating speed had increased, therefore momentum increased. The second spoke about the deflector plates changing the direction of the air, thereby changing velocity, and changing momentum.

ReputationRep:
    It definitely specified that the speed stayed the same
    If it stayed the same, then the air wouldnt apply a forward force on the engine.

You are the only one who i have seen say the speed stayed the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timcla)
    There were 2 similar questions. The first stating speed had increased, therefore momentum increased. The second spoke about the deflector plates changing the direction of the air, thereby changing velocity, and changing momentum.
    Yes that is what I am thinking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnsonJ)
    For the last question on the helium nucleis annihalating, id anyone get something x 10^42 (10 to the power of 42) for the frequency?
    Yep.

ReputationRep:
    anybody remember finding the frequency of the microwave question? couldn't see where the 5 marks go, probably got it wrong :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnsonJ)
    what did you guys write for the question which asked: Why did momentum change?
    The deflector plates caused a change in direction

ReputationRep:
    If it stayed the same, then the air wouldnt apply a forward force on the engine.

You are the only one who i have seen say the speed stayed the same
    There were two questions, I am talking about the 2 one with the deflector plates. It's 3rd law pair would cause the engine to slow down

ReputationRep:
    Questions are quite vivd to me first question was air speeding up so momentum increased. The second one asking about why velocity changed if the air was hitting the deflector at the same speed as it came out, and that was because its direction changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wolvan)
    anybody remember finding the frequency of the microwave question? couldn't see where the 5 marks go, probably got it wrong :P
    Lol I definitely got this wrong but wavelength was 12cm and then you can use v=f x wavelength to find f. I reckon some marks will be for showing you measured the diagram and then the rest for the working

ReputationRep:

I reckon it said the air left at a higher speed and you assumed it was the same mass?

ReputationRep:
    There were two questions, I am talking about the 2 one with the deflector plates. It's 3rd law pair would cause the engine to slow down
    You responded to my explanation to the first question, saying I was wrong, next time please check before challenging

ReputationRep:
    That was the third part yeah

ReputationRep:
    You responded to my explanation to the first question, saying I was wrong, next time please check before challenging
    Okay sorry no need to get rude...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JTawn)
    I reckon it said the air left at a higher speed and you assumed it was the same mass?
    Mass of the air can't change anyway haha. it's density that changes

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.