Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Grade boundaries imo will probably similar to 2015.
    Around about 50 for an A.
    I thought it was alright. I've certainly done better in this compared to the specimens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jordan1000000)
    for one of the last questions if you put beta instead of a positron would you get the mark
    If you pure beta+ then you would. A beta minus wouldn't however

ReputationRep:
    yeah i put beta + i think you should because normally you get away for putting beta - instead of electron

ReputationRep:
    For calculating the frequency of the wave for the chocolate question. Do we use c=f lamda? I used that and used 3x10^8 for c. But someone said that that's the speed in a vacuum so can't be used. Can someone confirm the method for me? And can someone explain what the 5 marks would be for? It seem. S the c=flamda seems a bit easy for 5 marks

ReputationRep:
    for the chocolate bar one, i measure the entire chocolate bars length and got 14cm.
    I then basically used the idea that this a standing wave pattern with 3 antinodes with a length of 0.14m to calculate the wavelength. I then used this to calculate a freq. of 3.2x10^9Hz. Ive clearly done something wrong cos everyone got 2.9x10^9. what did i do wrong??

ReputationRep:
    im sure you use 3x10^8 and c=f lamda and you had to measure the distance and then put it in metres. so my measurement was 118mm you had to do 118x10^-3 and then 3x10^8/ 118x10^-3 . I didn't know a full wavelength was length of all 3 dots so i divided 118/2= 59mm so thats where i messed up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roshan123)
    For calculating the frequency of the wave for the chocolate question. Do we use c=f lamda? I used that and used 3x10^8 for c. But someone said that that's the speed in a vacuum so can't be used. Can someone confirm the method for me? And can someone explain what the 5 marks would be for? It seem. S the c=flamda seems a bit easy for 5 marks
    you had to measure the 2 points where chocolate was melted i think it was around 6cm then convert it to m
    and just use c=flamda but i think one of them was in prefix form which is why there were like 5 marks, still that's a lot of marks for a question like that...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishea16)
    you had to measure the 2 points where chocolate was melted i think it was around 6cm then convert it to m
    and just use c=flamda but i think one of them was in prefix form which is why there were like 5 marks, still that's a lot of marks for a question like that...
    (Thats only half a wavelength) Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 142
Size:  4.1 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marldor)
    (Thats only half a wavelength) Name:  Untitled.png
Views: 142
Size:  4.1 KB
    it was a whole wavelength I think,
    the 2 points where the chocolate melted like an interference pattern?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishea16)
    it was a whole wavelength I think,
    the 2 points where the chocolate melted like an interference pattern?
    Its a stationary wave, the 3 points are antinodes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LeScienceBlogger)
    I wish
    It's based on what percentage of people they want to get an A so they put the grade boundaries so like 15% of the people that sat it get As
    They might lower them as they want to make the new spec look good. And there are not as many resits.

ReputationRep:
    OMG the distance between two fringes of constructive interference is the wavelength. If anyone has CGP physics revision guide (purple book) look at page 32.

ReputationRep:
    whats the overall consensus of the paper? also, i see so many people get 2.3V across the R3 or whatever. I got that at first, then changed it because the current splits when resistors are in parrallel. So i divided by 0.33A instead to get around 4.6V.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haes)
    Me but only because I actually worked it out using the numbers!
    I got 0.79%,but I rounded into 0.8%. Is that okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by zebrara)
    I got 0.79%,but I rounded into 0.8%. Is that okay?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    the smallest number of sf in that question was two, i think... so i don't know ;_;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haes)
    the smallest number of sf in that question was two, i think... so i don't know ;_;
    There is only a max of 2 SF questions on the paper, and it did not say to give an answer to a suitable degree of accuracy.

ReputationRep:
    Will there be an unofficial mark scheme?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by imranh_100)
    Will there be an unofficial mark scheme?
    Not yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BotUnfair)
    Hi lots of people saying D was obviously the bungee cord. However, surely because it plastically deformed easily, it would make a rubbish bungee cord? Like imagine jumping and your cord just got longer and longer, you wouldn't be doing much bouncing
    That's what I said too. Material D had a very short elastic range and would easily plastically deform and not return to its original shape so I put C for the bungee cord?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.ndyb)
    That's what I said too. Material D had a very short elastic range and would easily plastically deform and not return to its original shape so I put C for the bungee cord?
    I put C for the bungee cord too but I was so confused by that 6 marker

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.