Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    Would anyone mind sending me the second set of specimen papers? we've only been given one. I didn't even know there was too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marldor)
    There is only a max of 2 SF questions on the paper, and it did not say to give an answer to a suitable degree of accuracy.
    so will it be fine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a.ndyb)
    That's what I said too. Material D had a very short elastic range and would easily plastically deform and not return to its original shape so I put C for the bungee cord?
    i think C is the one with short elastic deformation range compared to D

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zebrara)
    so will it be fine?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah, most likely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zebrara)
    i think C is the one with short elastic deformation range compared to D

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It takes too much force to extend C, compared to D

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maximo17000)
    it was 2 marks so probably get one mark for saying constructive interference.
    is this question worthing 2 marks?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    How many marks was this paper out of?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheFrogMan)
    How many marks was this paper out of?
    70?probably

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    any guess for the mark range of 100ums?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by marldor)
    There is only a max of 2 SF questions on the paper, and it did not say to give an answer to a suitable degree of accuracy.
    that's true but isn't the sf rule that if you put too many significant figures it's okay, but if you put too little then it wouldn't be accurate anymore? because they could have also rounded it to 1% which shouldn't be fine? but i'm not an examiner so hopefully 1sf is fine

ReputationRep:
    On the question about the deceleration of the plane, wouldn't you have had to resolve the vectors using pythagoras the find the resultant force, and then use F=ma? Because the force given was in the horizontal plane, but the mass of the plane will also induce a vertical force? Just a suggestion... I found the paper so tricky! Hard to identify what the questions were actually testing you on

ReputationRep:
    What was the 6 marker like? I would like to know ahead of my Chemistry exam on Friday

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elizabethkeay)
    On the question about the deceleration of the plane, wouldn't you have had to resolve the vectors using pythagoras the find the resultant force, and then use F=ma? Because the force given was in the horizontal plane, but the mass of the plane will also induce a vertical force? Just a suggestion... I found the paper so tricky! Hard to identify what the questions were actually testing you on
    I think you're overthinking it, I think it just meant the horizontal component of acceleration

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JamesHaines)
    I think you're overthinking it, I think it just meant the horizontal component of acceleration
    I thought so too after realizing it was only like one mark or something, hope i get ECF in the question after! ((

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5soslovatoswift)
    I put C for the bungee cord too but I was so confused by that 6 marker
    I put D and i think it was right considering the cord needs to be as stretchy as possible to absorb the momentum and D stretched the most so I said it was the appropriate one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haes)
    that's true but isn't the sf rule that if you put too many significant figures it's okay, but if you put too little then it wouldn't be accurate anymore? because they could have also rounded it to 1% which shouldn't be fine? but i'm not an examiner so hopefully 1sf is fine
    The opposite, you cant be more accurate than your least accurate value

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys think the unofficial mark scheme will come today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by edis1122)
    OMG the distance between two fringes of constructive interference is the wavelength. If anyone has CGP physics revision guide (purple book) look at page 32.
    In a standing wave, no it isnt. The wavelength was the distance between the two points on the ends where the chocolate melted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JJSinha)
    I put D and i think it was right considering the cord needs to be as stretchy as possible to absorb the momentum and D stretched the most so I said it was the appropriate one.
    ahhhhh I see- I put D first too but crossed it out as I thought there would be a really large permanent extension? still have no clue though tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5soslovatoswift)
    ahhhhh I see- I put D first too but crossed it out as I thought there would be a really large permanent extension? still have no clue though tbh
    I put D as well, because it would be able to stretch the most and it didn't have any dip in it so it wouldn't have permanently extended? I'm not sure about that last part though, I sort of just winged that one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.