Turn on thread page Beta

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ediz333)
    D doesnt stretch easy, it has a steep gradient at first meaning u will never stretch it, also it never returns to its original length..... Meaning it would be an awful rope of bungee jumping. A snaps way to quick and cannot support the greatest stress, B supported the greatest stress ( Force/Area) Even excluding where it goes past its elastic limit, A would just break instantly if it got to 3/4 of the stress B did. Therefore B for elevator and C for bungee.
    Are you suggesting a bungee rope holds the same force as an elevator

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marldor)
    Are you suggesting a bungee rope holds the same force as an elevator
    No? Im saying it holds way less thats why you would never be able to stretch it out using D, and if u did it would never go back to its original shape, hence why for the bungee it was C. And for the lift, its just the one with the highest stress (the y axis) Which is B, A would snap too quickly if it ever extended by any sort of accident, even excluding this point it doesn't have as high as a UTS as B, and the other were just **** for the lift.

ReputationRep:
    Lol just realised at end of test I talked about UTS for the six marker and mentioned most points already commented how a is too brittle and random points but i accidentally at the end swapped them around and said C B cause i thought c for the bungee would stretch too much and the person would hit the floor lol probs gonna get like 2 marks if im lucky

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hot&SpicyChicken)
    Here is a link to the unofficial mark scheme:

http://goo.gl/2eNGu
    thank you so much

ReputationRep:

Well played sir, well played -_-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ediz333)
    No? Im saying it holds way less thats why you would never be able to stretch it out using D, and if u did it would never go back to its original shape, hence why for the bungee it was C. And for the lift, its just the one with the highest stress (the y axis) Which is B, A would snap too quickly if it ever extended by any sort of accident, even excluding this point it doesn't have as high as a UTS as B, and the other were just **** for the lift.
    There wont be two answers for 6 marks. You could probably chose any as long as you justify it. It would be a 3/4 mark question if it was only two.

ReputationRep:
    There wont be two answers for 6 marks. You could probably chose any as long as you justify it. It would be a 3/4 mark question if it was only two.
    They asked 'Which one was the best for a bungee rope and which is the best for an elevator' This obviously prompts for u to put two answers, if u did put the wrong ones with a good reason, then yeah u may get 3-4, but B for Lift, C for bungee.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I wasn't aware of there being a new spec for AQA AS physics. If you are unsure of any answers, give me a shout, I'm studying Physics at Uni, so I may be able to help

ReputationRep:
    How did people find the exam this morning?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post65134121
    unofficial mark scheme

ReputationRep:
    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.9d6m253q4aej

unofficial mark scheme

-not finished-

edit: I'm only passing the info along. credit goes to the original peep who created this

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Science_help)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...1#post65134121
    unofficial mark scheme
    thanks to all of you so much!!! appreciate it

ReputationRep:
    Based on this

https://plot.ly/~ujelee/11.jpeg

it seems like that C is the most likely materiel for a bungee rope

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jusst Haris)
    Based on this

https://plot.ly/~ujelee/11.jpeg

it seems like that C is the most likely materiel for a bungee rope
    That looks more like D

ReputationRep:
    That looks more like D
    True, i just looked at the scale

ReputationRep:

thanks a lot, appreciate the effort that went into this !

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure it was D for the bungee as it took the shape that rubber gives in stress-strain meaning it'll return to its original length and a bungee cord needs to stretch lots otherwise it's not a very good bungee cord?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok guys, someone tell me how screwed I am.

- Put bloody nodes instead of antinodes for the stationary waves question, which is annoying and even seemed counterintuitive at the time but I was flustered and panicked, which usually doesn't happen to me during exams, but what can you do.
    - Managed to find the wavelength of the stationary waves to be 0.12m but then didn't know what to do because it didn't occur to me to use c=f*wavelength as I though c was the speed of light only in a vacuum? I think I did something stupid to do with the time period equation As it was 5 marks, would I get any marks for just showing that I'd measured from the diagram?
    - For finding the resistance of R3, I think it was, or whatever part c for the electricity question was, my mind completely blanked and I made something up, so definitely didn't get that part right. How did everyone do it?
    - What did everyone put as the explanation for why there would be no change in reading on the voltmeter? Idk if I got that part right
    - For the 6 marker, what would you say the possible choices for each and the reasoning behind them would be? I'm assuming you could've picked any material (apart from A) for either the bungee or the lift, as long as your reasoning was sound? I picked B and C.
    I think those are the main ones I'm worried about. What would you estimate the marks I've lost to be? I'm so annoyed at myself because I was getting straight As for physics throughout the year, and then managed to **** up these questions when it counts!!

ReputationRep:

Thank you so much!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IIA7867)
    Ok guys, someone tell me how screwed I am.

- Put bloody nodes instead of antinodes for the stationary waves question, which is annoying and even seemed counterintuitive at the time but I was flustered and panicked, which usually doesn't happen to me during exams, but what can you do.
    - Managed to find the wavelength of the stationary waves to be 0.12m but then didn't know what to do because it didn't occur to me to use c=f*wavelength as I though c was the speed of light only in a vacuum? I think I did something stupid to do with the time period equation As it was 5 marks, would I get any marks for just showing that I'd measured from the diagram?
    - For finding the resistance of R3, I think it was, or whatever part c for the electricity question was, my mind completely blanked and I made something up, so definitely didn't get that part right. How did everyone do it?
    - What did everyone put as the explanation for why there would be no change in reading on the voltmeter? Idk if I got that part right
    - For the 6 marker, what would you say the possible choices for each and the reasoning behind them would be? I'm assuming you could've picked any material (apart from A) for either the bungee or the lift, as long as your reasoning was sound? I picked B and C.
    I think those are the main ones I'm worried about. What would you estimate the marks I've lost to be? I'm so annoyed at myself because I was getting straight As for physics throughout the year, and then managed to **** up these questions when it counts!!
    To be honest, I'd say you weren't screwed. If you did well in the rest of the paper, I'm pretty sure you'll still get a good grade considering how everyone's predicting that the grade boundaries will be low. I wouldn't worry too much. Focus on revising for paper 2 and boost your grade!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 30, 2018
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.