Turn on thread page Beta

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by metrize)
    How did you finish the spec in a month
    CGP books, it's amazing how quickly you can finish them

ReputationRep:
    I highly doubt you only dropped that many marks in each paper, our physics teacher even said some of the questions were ridiculous and way too hard for us.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quido)
    I highly doubt you only dropped that many marks in each paper, our physics teacher even said some of the questions were ridiculous and way too hard for us.
    Yeah lol my physics teacher dropped like 12 marks and he altered the mark scheme :P

ReputationRep:
    It not just me some of my friends got as high as 68 marks whether you believe it or not is up to you

ReputationRep:
    Can anybody explain question 2.6 on the paper 1 (set 1). Im so confused honestly...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JakeRStudent)
    Can anybody explain question 2.6 on the paper 1 (set 1). Im so confused honestly...
    My paper 1 set 1 has not 2.6. Only goes to 2.4 ?

ReputationRep:
    There is no Q2.6 on paper 1 set 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quido)
    To an extent its hard the first time but after marking my paper and understanding where I went wrong it has helped alot and tbh looking back at it now its not as hard as it seems trust me xD

ReputationRep:
    When were looking at the uncertainty do we take the smallest value it can measure e.g. with a ruler +-1mm or do we take HALF of the smallest measurable quantity i.e. +-0.5mm

ReputationRep:
    When we use micrometers, verniers and stopwatches do we take 2 x the uncertainty because of possible zero error or only once. Because i think you have to do that for a ruler but not sure about these

ReputationRep:
    There isn't a 2.6 on paper one - set one, however there is on paper one - set 2.
    So I'll just explain the set 2 paper.

2.6. Yes it is observable as the separation between slits is 1.5x10^-10 compared to the 0.28x10^-10. The wavelength is approx 5x less than the width.
    Sin theta=wavelength/d, therefore, theta is 11 degrees - diffraction.

Hope that helped abit.

ReputationRep:
    On paper 2 of set 1, question 1.4 (the one with diffraction gratings) where are you meant to measure from? I can't work out how you're meant to get the answer given in the mark scheme. Which ends of the maxima do you measure from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chickenslayer69)
    Don't understand Q 1.2 on the first paper of the second set of specimen papers... mark scheme says "Total energy = 2keV + 2 × 511 keV = 1024 keV" but I have no idea where this comes from? Think I'm being stupid...

EDIT: Never mind, understand now.
    Could you explain where it comes from?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aurora.98)
    Could you explain where it comes from?

Thanks
    The 2 keV is only the kinetic energy of one electron - you need to also use the rest energies of the positron and electron (0.511MeV or 511keV). As there are 2, it's 2x511 and then you add the kinetic energy to get the total.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThalanirIII)
    On paper 2 of set 1, question 1.4 (the one with diffraction gratings) where are you meant to measure from? I can't work out how you're meant to get the answer given in the mark scheme. Which ends of the maxima do you measure from?
    I measured from the first line to the last line, then divided by how many gaps there were This will get you an answer within the allowed range.

ReputationRep:
    Can some one go through 7.3? For set 1?
    Plus you do realise that we are tested on everything for paper 1, all the is a bits are on paper 2.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imjustaloner)
    Can some one go through 7.3? For set 1?
    Plus you do realise that we are tested on everything for paper 1, all the is a bits are on paper 2.
    There is no Question 7.3 for either paper in set 1...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chickenslayer69)
    There is no Question 7.3 for either paper in set 1...
    This question:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 309
Size:  99.9 KB 7.3

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile Generator)
    There isn't a 2.6 on paper one - set one, however there is on paper one - set 2.
    So I'll just explain the set 2 paper.

2.6. Yes it is observable as the separation between slits is 1.5x10^-10 compared to the 0.28x10^-10. The wavelength is approx 5x less than the width.
    Sin theta=wavelength/d, therefore, theta is 11 degrees - diffraction.

Hope that helped abit.
    "If a gap is much larger than the wavelength, there is no diffraction.
    If a gap is a few wavelengths wide, there is a little diffraction.
    If the gap is the same size as the wavelength, there is maximum diffraction." [from a revision guide]

What if a wavelength is much smaller than the gap? I know the answer to the question on set 2 states that there is diffraction but why is this the case? I said there wouldn't be any diffraction but I'm clearly wrong Any help would be much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imjustaloner)
    This question:
    Name:  image.png
Views: 309
Size:  99.9 KB 7.3
    That is from Set 2.

I'm assuming you use this equation: http://prntscr.com/b70q2y

Note that the L in m / L is the total length rather than the length from X and Y (The other L is from X and Y). If you rearrange this equation, you should get the correct answer.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 30, 2018

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.