Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imjustaloner)
    I still don't know where I'm going wrong, I got 136.5367?
    Why do you use the length 0.66? And not 0.91?
    you need to use 0.66 because the wavelength isn't the total length of the string but rather 1 complete wave

can someone help with the specimen 1 question 2.2? how did they get their area as 0.083? i got it as 0.38? was it a typo or did i do something wrong?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haes)
    can someone help with the specimen 1 question 2.2? how did they get their area as 0.083? i got it as 0.38? was it a typo or did i do something wrong?
    Neither specimen 1's paper 1 or 2 has a question 2.2 about area. Can you screen shot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by kingaaran)
    Neither specimen 1's paper 1 or 2 has a question 2.2 about area. Can you screen shot?

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://physicsloreto.weebly.com/uplo..._1_qp_v1.0.pdf

Question 2.2 is about volume. the mark scheme says to calculate the area which they got as 0.083333, and their final answer becoming 0.16.
    (here's the mark scheme http://physicsloreto.weebly.com/uplo..._1_ms_v1.0.pdf )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kingaaran)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What do you think of the specimen papers? Will they present a paper like that this coming Tuesday?

ReputationRep:
    Whats the uncertainty of a micrometer and vernier and do we need to double it like with a ruler

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 11234)
    Could anyone help pls?? Much appreciated
    There won't be any questions based on experiments on paper 1? This year for our exam, only on paper 2?

ReputationRep:
    For those that think people are posting wrong questions, there is a second set of specimen papers that teachers only have access to apparently but im sure they are on the internet somewhere

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=11234;65046035]Whats the uncertainty of a micrometer and vernier and do we need to double it like with a ruler[/QUOTE

No you don't... You take the smallest possible reading it reading it can possibly be...

Here's the unsecured Specimen 1 paper: http://physicsloreto.weebly.com/uplo..._1_qp_v1.0.pdf
    Mark scheme: http://physicsloreto.weebly.com/uplo..._1_ms_v1.0.pdf

Would anyone help me with the moments question (q3). I can't seem to show that the wire is 50N. I did get the clockwise moments but for anticlockwise moments i have no idea why you have to do sin(30)x0.3 ???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not_lucas1)
    For those that think people are posting wrong questions, there is a second set of specimen papers that teachers only have access to apparently but im sure they are on the internet somewhere
    They've been posted on page 4 of this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haes)
    Here's the unsecured Specimen 1 paper: http://physicsloreto.weebly.com/uplo..._1_qp_v1.0.pdf
    Mark scheme: http://physicsloreto.weebly.com/uplo..._1_ms_v1.0.pdf

Would anyone help me with the moments question (q3). I can't seem to show that the wire is 50N. I did get the clockwise moments but for anticlockwise moments i have no idea why you have to do sin(30)x0.3 ???
    The vertical moments of the forces acting downwards must equal the vertical moments of the forces acting upwards - the vertical moment of the tension in the string is 0.3 x sin(30) x T, since the rope is at an angle of 30 degrees to the horizontal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chickenslayer69)
    They've been posted on page 4 of this thread.
    <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<The more you know>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

ReputationRep:
    I measured from the first line to the last line, then divided by how many gaps there were This will get you an answer within the allowed range.
    Except, when you measure the outside of the 1st one you get 5mm, and then the outside of the last one you get 136mm, so the difference is 131mm. 131/26=5.038 which is outside the range of 5.24+-0.05mm

The vertical components of the forces acting downwards must equal the vertical components of the forces acting upwards - the vertical component of the tension in the string is 0.3 x sin(30).
    why is the vertical component not tan(30) x 0.3?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThalanirIII)
    Except, when you measure the outside of the 1st one you get 5mm, and then the outside of the last one you get 136mm, so the difference is 131mm. 131/26=5.038 which is outside the range of 5.24+-0.05mm
    There are 25 gaps, not 26. 131/25 = 5.24mm exactly. Remember, you are measuring the average SPACING between two adjacent maxima, so you need the total number of spacings between maxima rather than the total number of maxima.

ReputationRep:
    There are 25 gaps, not 26. 131/25 = 5.24mm exactly.
    Thank you! I thought you counted the number of maxima, not the spacing between

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThalanirIII)
    Thank you! I thought you counted the number of maxima, not the spacing between
    Haha, no problem

ReputationRep:
    Will you say its more beneficial to go over every topic and get your wordings right using the specimen papers or just carry on with doing Questions from the book topic by topic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Why-_-Study-_-)
    Will you say its more beneficial to go over every topic and get your wordings right using the specimen papers or just carry on with doing Questions from the book topic by topic.
    I'd say just do as much as possible, book and papers. Just make sure to look at the newest specimen papers (set 2) before the exam so you kind of know how the paper will be set out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.