Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

2016 Official AQA New Spec AS Level Physics Paper 1 - 24th of May 2016 watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by haes)
    can someone help with the specimen 1 question 2.2? how did they get their area as 0.083? i got it as 0.38? was it a typo or did i do something wrong?
    For question 2.1
    you need V^2=u^2+2as
    Rearrange so that v=√2as
    √2x9.81x90= 42.02ms^-1

2.2Take the volume of water flowing into the turbine (3.5m^3) and it says that is the volume every second flowing through.
    Therefore 3.5m^3sec-1
    You then divide that volume per second by the speed of the arriving water (42.02 -calculated above-) Therefore 3.5m^3sec^-1 ÷ 42.02ms^-1 = 0.08m^2
    As 𝝅r^2 = area
    r = √area/𝝅
    r = √0.08/3.14 = 0.16m
    Pipe Radius = 0.16m

ReputationRep:
    What's gonna be on paper 1?

(Original post by alexscott680)
    For question 2.1
    you need V^2=u^2+2as
    Rearrange so that v=√2as
    √2x9.81x90= 42.02ms^-1

2.2Take the volume of water flowing into the turbine (3.5m^3) and it says that is the volume every second flowing through.
    Therefore 3.5m^3sec-1
    You then divide that volume per second by the speed of the arriving water (42.02 -calculated above-) Therefore 3.5m^3sec^-1 ÷ 42.02ms^-1 = 0.08m^2
    As 𝝅r^2 = area
    r = √area/𝝅
    r = √0.08/3.14 = 0.16m
    Pipe Radius = 0.16m
    oh..... okay thank you!! i wish the mark scheme would be more detailed with their answers. and i really hate how this exam is set out ;_; i would have never had the clue to use the previous answer. At least in previous years the questions directly related to each other were labelled with i's and ii's so it was obvious that you had to use a previous answer. ;a; thank you again

If you do really bad on Paper 1 and do really good on paper 2, does paper 2 boost your mark up or are the the papers marked separately?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DatComicalManiac)
    If you do really bad on Paper 1 and do really good on paper 2, does paper 2 boost your mark up or are the the papers marked separately?
    paper 1 & 2 are marked separately but combined for the overall grade. You will need to get above a certain UMS total though.

e.g.

Pp1=50% Pp2=100% --> Total = 75%

Pp1=75% Pp2=75% --> Total = 75%

ReputationRep:
    I think it's done by overall UMS. Last year it was 120UMS per paper so I'm guessing its the same this year.

ReputationRep:
    They are both marked separately 50% each so if you do not so good on paper 1 but better on paper 2 it will bring your grade up. However not as high amount say if paper 2 was worth 70%.

ReputationRep:
    There's no UMS now since this new spec is linear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by at56)
    There's no UMS now since this new spec is linear.
    Huh what does that mean? What's on paper 1 and what's on paper 2?

ReputationRep:
    Will ther be uncertainty and stuff on paper 1?
    Will anyone reply?

ReputationRep:
    Are there any grade boundaries for the specimen paper?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got 49/70, would that be enough to get an A...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kiwifruit99)
    I got 49/70, would that be enough to get an A...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    There are no boundaries but 49/70 on both papers last year would have gotten you an A and seeing as these specimen papers are harder I would say so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imjustaloner)
    Will ther be uncertainty and stuff on paper 1?
    Will anyone reply?
    Does anyone know?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Imjustaloner)
    There won't be any questions based on experiments on paper 1? This year for our exam, only on paper 2?
    Actually, they will a bit. Because if you look at set 1 paper 1 3.3 they ask you for an experiment to determine wavelength

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STRANGER2)
    Actually, they will a bit. Because if you look at set 1 paper 1 3.3 they ask you for an experiment to determine wavelength
    What do you think would be the 6 marker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by STRANGER2)
    But the spec says practical skills will be tested in paper 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theuglyfish)
    http://technocratnotes.com/paper-1-5/

You can find definitions here for anyone who is struggling with what certain terms mean .
    this is amazing ty!!

ReputationRep:
    Can some one help me in 2.2 ☹️

ReputationRep:
    What do we use as g?

I found a question where the markscheme says 9.81 but I thought we were to use 9.8 unless told otherwise?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.