Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronnydandam)
    was it 2.04
    Yes it was but i rounded to 2.0% (2sf)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GCSEsThen)
    No its 2% because you can measure to +/- 0.5 mm not +/- 1mm
    WHY don't people understand that OCR doesn't mind either one; I'll even send u the link to their practical skills handbook where it says due to the confusion in textbooks both are acceptable. http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/295483-...s-handbook.pdf
    Go to page 44 and look at the bit that says note.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mizzeeboy)
    So long as all of the points on either side of the line were about the same then I don't see whether this should matter as remember you are dealing with experimental data which is not theoretically right.
    It was theoretically supposed to go through the origin, as the equation given was of the form y=mx+c, with no intercept - but it didn't...

ReputationRep:
    Unofficial mark scheme. http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...3#post65611023

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pointon.joel)
    It was theoretically supposed to go through the origin, as the equation given was of the form y=mx+c, with no intercept - but it didn't...
    Both the axes didn't start at 0 so how would it be able to go through the origin ;P.
    X axis started at 2 and y axis started at like 10/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parhomus)
    Both the axes didn't start at 0 so how would it be able to go through the origin ;P.
    X axis started at 2 and y axis started at like 10/
    Good point. That would be why...

ReputationRep:
    670 Hz right due to significant figures

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahmzo)
    670 Hz right due to significant figures
    Yup, 667Hz

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turtlebunny)
    I got this.
    I got 5800 for the gradient and 0.11 for the resistivity.
    For the gradient, were we meant to write it in standard form on the answer line?

Are these roughly the correct answers?
    Yes, normally its to two significant figures, so should be in standard form but you may get away with it. And Im sure there will be a range, hopefully it will be quite broad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pointon.joel)
    The x axis began at 2 and the y axis started at some random value

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voltz)
    Yes, normally its to two significant figures, so should be in standard form but you may get away with it. And Im sure there will be a range, hopefully it will be quite broad.

Yeah I left it as 5800, who knows. Hopefully I didn't drop more than 15 or so overall. Despite putting the correct things down for the 6 markers, I waffled an awful lot, so I don't know what I'll get there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ronnydandam)
    not a chance, old spec was like normally 70% for an A if I remember correctly, I think 53 ish
    This was probably one of the most straight forward one in my opinion with only a few tricky questions so I think maybe around 54 aswell - hopefully the Breadth one will have lower boundaries

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turtlebunny)
    Yeah I left it as 5800, who knows. Hopefully I didn't drop more than 15 or so overall. Despite putting the correct things down for the 6 markers, I waffled an awful lot, so I don't know what I'll get there.
    Im aiming to drop no more than 15 too since that would be an A in my opinion. And totally the same, I just put anything down about the photoelectric effect and perhaps didnt make the sepcific points needed.

Either way, I think that paper was very generous since there were no complicated questions

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voltz)
    This was probably one of the most straight forward one in my opinion with only a few tricky questions so I think maybe around 54 aswell - hopefully the Breadth one will have lower boundaries
    yeah according to that teacher on here breadth will be around 45

ReputationRep:
    If somebody could tell me how the hell I got 2900 for the gradient I'd be grateful. Unless 2900 was the answer to another question.... And no didn't do the area underneath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voltz)
    Im aiming to drop no more than 15 too since that would be an A in my opinion. And totally the same, I just put anything down about the photoelectric effect and perhaps didnt make the sepcific points needed.

Either way, I think that paper was very generous since there were no complicated questions
    I may have just scraped an A, if I'm lucky. Good luck to you!

ReputationRep:
    By the way for the questions about the kinetic energy and finding the initial velocity did you guys use 28ms^-1 or 30ms^-1. I used 28 so for the next question i got 28.7, the one after that I got 66J; I think everyone got the value for mgh which was like 3.14 J and for the last one I got like 62.7J.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Parhomus)
    By the way for the questions about the kinetic energy and finding the initial velocity did you guys use 28ms^-1 or 30ms^-1. I used 28 so for the next question i got 28.7, the one after that I got 66J; I think everyone got the value for mgh which was like 3.14 J and for the last one I got like 62.7J.
    I jused 28.2 and then got 28.9 but there will be a little range as some people will use the 30ms^1 given in the question. For the rest I believe I got the same, I just used the KE equation then the GPE one and took one for the other for the last part

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voltz)
    I jused 28.2 and then got 28.9 but there will be a little range as some people will use the 30ms^1 given in the question. For the rest I believe I got the same, I just used the KE equation then the GPE one and took one for the other for the last part
    Hey i used 30. I got a value of 30.7. Is that correct

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voltz)
    Nice; for the one about how to know if the diameter had changed; did you write about how the reading on the ohm meter would change.I wrote since R=pl/A and p and l were constant if R changed so would A and so the diameter will have changed. BTW why did they use the metal plates, i wrote in order to reduce contact resistance but idk if that's correct.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 13, 2016
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.