Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Official OCR New Spec AS Level Physics: Depth in physics - 9th of May Watch

(Original post by lovelyqueen)
    Do you think electricity and internal resistance is going to come up.
    Did it come up in the breadth paper. I cant remember.
    You need to know your content - end of.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there was much on it, possibly not at all.

(Original post by Marxist)
    You need to know your content - end of.
    Precisely. Just learn/revise everything- then you won't have to worry about what some random person on the internet thinks might come up.

ReputationRep:
    im pretty sure it did come up (internal resistance) there will definitely be some stuff on electricity probably potentiometers and potential dividers

(Original post by wasdfhghj)
    im pretty sure it did come up (internal resistance) there will definitely be some stuff on electricity probably potentiometers and potential dividers
    Do u have any idea about the practical questions that is going to come up?

ReputationRep:
    Quick question, is the resultant force always in the direction of acceleration since F=ma and mass is constant?

For example if an object is falling and decelerating, the resultant force is upwards right?

ReputationRep:
    voltz check this pls http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...4100393&page=2

ReputationRep:
    idk lovely queen lol funny name
    had to make a new account

probably not stuff thats been in specimens or in the breadth paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voltz)
    Quick question, is the resultant force always in the direction of acceleration since F=ma and mass is constant?

For example if an object is falling and decelerating, the resultant force is upwards right?
    The resultant force F is always in the direction of motion. So you have to resolve accordingly, and take this account if there is more than one force acting on an object.

ReputationRep:
    Heres are Q&A of practicals from past paper and list of practicals that we have learnt
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Required Practicals Physics.docx (15.9 KB, 155 views)
  2. File Type: docx Experiments.docx (268.2 KB, 136 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turtlebunny)
    The resultant force F is always in the direction of motion. So you have to resolve accordingly, and take this account if there is more than one force acting on an object.
    Im just a bit confused because I was doing a past question where the object was falling but slowing down and the mark scheme said that drag > weight?

ReputationRep:
    Predictions for tomorrows paper?
    do you reckon there will be a lot of mechanics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voltz)
    Im just a bit confused because I was doing a past question where the object was falling but slowing down and the mark scheme said that drag > weight?
    Force affects acceleration so if the resultant force < 0 the acceleration will be < 0 too if the mass is constant (deceleration). So yes, the resultant force will act in the direction of acceleration, if that makes sense

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voltz)
    Are you sure it said that drag > weight? That could only happen if an object exceeded its terminal velocity somehow. The only example I can think of this happening is, for example, the moment at which a parachutist would open his chute, and he moves from his old terminal velocity to a new velocity as drag suddenly increase as a result of the parachute.

Otherwise, I'm not too sure how drag > weight. Drag can be equal to weight, therefore giving a resultant force of 0, meaning they aren't accelerating.
    In the case of resolving a falling object with two forces acting on it, drag and weight, I would do W - D = F. Because it is falling downwards you take weight as the positive value and resolve in that direction.

Could you post the question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mm_7)
    Predictions for tomorrows paper?
    do you reckon there will be a lot of mechanics?
    I hope there's a lot of mechanics

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Turtlebunny)
    Are you sure it said that drag > weight? That could only happen if an object exceeded its terminal velocity somehow. The only example I can think of this happening is, for example, the moment at which a parachutist would open his chute, and he moves from his old terminal velocity to a new velocity as drag suddenly increase as a result of the parachute.

Otherwise, I'm not too sure how drag > weight. Drag can be equal to weight, therefore giving a resultant force of 0, meaning they aren't accelerating.
    In the case of resolving a falling object with two forces acting on it, drag and weight, I would do W - D = F. Because it is falling downwards you take weight as the positive value and resolve in that direction.

Could you post the question?
    This is what the mark scheme says word for word:
    Drag > weight The ball is decelerating/‘slowing down’
    It is a terminal velocity question and at this point (for which the answer is as quoted above), the graph shows the object decelerating non-uniformly.

This is the question paper - question 4.

ReputationRep:
    less than 24 hours to go, I'm not looking forward for this exam

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by voltz)
    This is what the mark scheme says word for word:
    Drag > weight The ball is decelerating/‘slowing down’
    It is a terminal velocity question and at this point (for which the answer is as quoted above), the graph shows the object decelerating non-uniformly.

This is the question paper - question 4.
    Resultant force is always in the direction of acceleration, but not necessarily motion. As the ball enters the liquid, it does decelerate to terminal velocity. The moment the ball enters the water is analogous to a parachutist opening their parachute. Drag > weight, so the resultant force is upwards, so the ball decelerates downwards (i.e. accelerates upwards)

ReputationRep:
    Is this for Physics B?

ReputationRep:
    do you think that there will be a lot of photoelectric effect and youngs double slit

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Btec certified)
    Is this for Physics B?
    It's for Physics A

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.