Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I failed one of my essay in my First year of Nursing. At the moment, I have been working but I have decided to apply for a DIPHE Operating department practice this September. I know I already missed the UCAS deadline but I want to apply for it anyway. To be honest, I was being lazy and did not do my work on time. I didn't take university seriously, I was away from home, free. I was being stupid and made a huge mistake in my life. I want to start over again because i want a career for myself. Instead of crying over my stupid mistake, I want to believe in myself and make everything right. I have been an embarrassment for my family. I feel sorry for letting them down. I haven't been going out because I am scared that my friends and relatives will ask me what i have been doing and why i left university. However, Even though I stayed in Uni for few months only, I met some amazing friends and had a really good time on placement which was in a hospital. I am afraid Universities will reject my application when they find out i was withdrawn from Nursing. Even if they do invite me for the test and interview, they might choose someone else with more experience and better grades. I do not have any experience as well, I did my placement in the hospital but i am not sure if that counts. I want to work as a HCA to get some experiences before I start the course, i afraid I won't get a job because I was kicked out of Nursing. Is it possible to get a job as a HCA. If i do it, it will be good for my personal statement and I can talk about it in the interview if i get a chance.
    I know I need to explain to other Universities but I am not sure how to do it. What have i done to my life, what was i even thinking. I worked really hard to get into Nursing but i have ruined it all.
    If any of you are doing an ODP, could you please tell me about it?Are the interviews and Numeracy and Literacy tests similar to Nursing tests?
    Thank you!
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Seems a bit hardh to throw you off the course just for failing an essay. It would seem more sensible if it was for your general attitude and participation on the course.
    Seems a bit sudden to only last a couple of months. Spectacular.

You should have had a chat with your course supervisor as to what they will say about you. They might accept your apology and supportive. A good relation with your tutor might get you that. i.e she was young and foolish, but is now dealing with that and taking responsibility for her mistake. It was disappointing to have to let her go. She seems determined to try again having learned the level of commitment needed to be a success. If the uni will not say anything, then you have to do similar for yourself. It would be helpful if you knew what they were going to say about you.

The next thing you should do is have an informal chat with the course organiser, so they dont reject you outright. Speaking to the person directly or a well written letter can sop you being screened out or will mean they know beforehand about your application. You have to make the best out of a bad position. You could also improve your cv with getting more work experience to show renewed commitment.

On the good side they deal with people who have criminal records, on the bad side you will need to explain them you deserve a second chance when you have just behaved in a way that undermines that. If its what you wnat to do keep trying and the past is past.

ReputationRep:
    999tigger: I know i passed my other essay but failed one and i did meet up with my personal tutor and the head of the course. They said the uni has to be fair to everyone so i won't be getting any other chances. I admit it was all my fault but yes i think the uni was being a little unfair as well. I told them I have been attending my placements and doing well on placements, I have 100% attendance in both lectures and placement. There was this other girl on my course who hardly used to come to lectures and on lectures they were always so loud and noisy but they are about to let her stay because she lied to them about her reasons. I think it is just so unfair how both of us failed but i am the only one to get kicked out. I know i was being foolish and did not take my work seriously and i think i deserved to be kicked out to show me the reality. My university made me do other assignments and i finished it even though i knew i was getting kicked out soon, however on the day of submission they didn't let me submit my work because they said i was officially withdrawn on that day. I even had to keep on going placements but i really enjoyed my placement and gained a lot of experiences so i wouldn't complain about it. I was crying everyday and tried to avoid my friends because i felt like my whole life was over and i was the biggest loser. I still feel like a loser but i want to make it right and prove myself and everyone else wrong.
    Thank you.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    If you feel it was wrong , then i suggest you talk to your student rep. If you are unhappy then complain to the Uni, if they dont deal with it, then you cna complain to the OIA.
    http://www.oiahe.org.uk/

I dont think they throw people off for no reason and without thought. Normally if you fail an exam they require a resit. I dont know your course or case. but if you feel unfailry treated then take it up with someone at the SU who deals with these things. so they cna have a proper look.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, this seems harsh. Are you absolutely sure you were withdrawn just over one essay? Several of my child's nursing friends failed an essay recently on patient centred care & have been told they need to resubmit it in August. The only person to have been withdrawn from the course was one that attended no lectures (and I mean none, not a single one since September) but turned up at placement. Odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ViewOnlyMum)
    Wow, this seems harsh. Are you absolutely sure you were withdrawn just over one essay? Several of my child's nursing friends failed an essay recently on patient centred care & have been told they need to resubmit it in August. The only person to have been withdrawn from the course was one that attended no lectures (and I mean none, not a single one since September) but turned up at placement. Odd.
    From what I can gather from that wall of text, they failed their resubmission as well. Various universities have different rules on resubs, the place I'm doing a postgrad course at only allows two tries at each assessment and that's a university wide policy.

OP you've had some good advice already, it might be an idea to speak to your students union to see if they can offer any support here as well, but I fear it might be too late to salvage your nursing course. There's nothing stopping you from applying in the future, for nursing or for ODP, it might be wise to take a bit of time, get some more experience and reapply.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Roro, I realise this thread is a couple months old but I feel compelled to reply. Firstly I think you need to stop punishing yourself. People often lose track of their original plans, this can be especially the case at university. You can feel quite sure you want to take a certain direction and for whatever reason it doesn't work out that way. There are many temptations at university that send us off course, new friends, social life, money and booze!
    I honestly don't think you'll be penalised for starting a course and then dropping it, not many people know what career they want at this age (I don't know how old you are) so I'm making an assumption you are in your late teens/ early twenties.
    I messed up at school and left with not one GCSE, I felt ashamed and really regretted what I'd done which was effectively no studying! I went back to college mid twenties to study a access to nursing, I had my heart set on this but didn't get a place, I lost a lot of confidence thinking I was destined to never be a nurse and stupidly I chose business studies, it didn't occur to me to wait a nod apply again the following year. I understand how you feel because I regretted changing to business studies massively and for years until finally I realised I'd learned some really good skills from this degree and now I've applied to do nursing. I don't think you should spend much time on thinking about what's happened and get on with achieving your new plans, you seem really determined to do this new course and I'm sure you'll work hard which is a lot easier to do when it's something you're truly interested in. Hope it works out for you and good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.