Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have been accepted by both Sheffield and Bristol for the Biology Bsc degree. I can't decide! The Sheffield degree has great field courses, a high rating for biology and has great student union, but Bristol is a more happening city, and I think the university has a better reputation as a whole, which might be better for getting job afterwards. Any comments also on if the field courses ( sheffield much better) really help advance career or if are just fun to do? Thanks
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by jacklot)
    I have been accepted by both Sheffield and Bristol for the Biology Bsc degree. I can't decide! The Sheffield degree has great field courses, a high rating for biology and has great student union, but Bristol is a more happening city, and I think the university has a better reputation as a whole, which might be better for getting job afterwards. Any comments also on if the field courses ( sheffield much better) really help advance career or if are just fun to do? Thanks
    Have you looked at what modules are available as a whole? That's incredibly important! The field courses will not affect your career afterwards! Which university do you feel you would be happiest at? Both are excellent universities so your prospects will be fine whichever you go with

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

It depends what you want to do after uni. If you want to go into something involving field work in the future it can only be a good thing having experience but the third year field modules only count towards 10 credits of a 360 credit degree. It can be difficult to get lab/field experience but if you are flexible there are opportunities. For example, last summer I stayed in Sheffield for a few weeks after exams and got to do a day of field work and 2 weeks of lab work with a post-doc. It was just a one off that all students in the department were emailed about and I think everyone who emailed back got the job. Some of the lab modules also have a field work element, followed by lab work and writing a report. You get a lot of module choice so you could pick those

I'd strongly recommend looking at the module content. Theres no human biology in the sheffield biology degree although you have 20 credits free in year 1 and 2 where you could choose modules from biomedical science. Sheffield biology is mostly whole organism and more environmental focused.

If you have any questions please ask me (:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacklot)
    Hi I was just wondering if you've made your decision yet ? I also can't decide between Sheffield and Bristol but for Biochemistry .

University open days

• University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.