Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Brussels attacks: Airport bombing suspect 'arrested' -- BREAKING NEWS watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ddddddddd324)
    You thought you hate extremism too?

The hell is my business with what you think?
    Stop hiding

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by queen-bee)
    It's the same thing as saying God willing in English. Don't make a scene where there's none to be made.

Exactly auschwitz is just a place to normal people. I bet it's also the same thing to Jews right?

Inshallah might mean God willing to you, but it's a terrorist incitement to other people

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brent_)
    Stop hiding

My original account is temporarily banned.

I still don't understand your point my friend.

ReputationRep:
    Exactly auschwitz is just a place to normal people. I bet it's also the same thing to Jews right?

Inshallah might mean God willing to you, but it's a terrorist incitement to other people
    Well maybe you should educate yourself on what the word means and who uses it across the world rather. People speak Arabic in the Middle East,so obviously they won't go around saying God willing,instead they'll say inshallah. You could be a Muslim or Christian,it doesn't matter. I worship Allah and I'm a Christian and soon you'll be telling me I shouldn't be worshipping Allah ebecause extremists do that,do you see the logic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha Lamb Meme)
    To be honest, it's pretty bonkers how anyone can have faith in and call for the omnipotent will of their particular god to bring justice after this character had allowed or even willed such atrocities to happen in the first place!
    although I strongly oppose political Islam, I think that personal religion is just that - a personal issue. Something which concerns exclusively a person's relationship with some "metaphysical" entity

in the end, we are free to criticise religious interpretations and positions, just like people are free to hold these beliefs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BaconandSauce)
    It's just inappropriate to use this term given the Islamic connection to these terrorist attacks
    It's Arabic. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    what
    Really
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers

Stop being utterly ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    Well maybe you should educate yourself on what the word means and who uses it across the world rather. People speak Arabic in the Middle East,so obviously they won't go around saying God willing,instead they'll say inshallah. You could be a Muslim or Christian,it doesn't matter. I worship Allah and I'm a Christian and soon you'll be telling me I shouldn't be worshipping Allah either because extremists do that,do you see the logic?

Wrong time and place to use an arabic word synonymous with terrorists.

Especially because you're a christian. You speak English very well. Why not just say God willing?

If you still can't understand that then the argument will just continue in a loop.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Legendary Quest)
    I'm sure you'd say that to yesterdays victims given it was probably the Arabic they heard just before they were slaughtered
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Really
    See above. Seriously, it's like me saying "grâce à Dieu" and being penalised for it. Don't be ridiculous. Seriously.

ReputationRep:
    Because everything Arabic is apparently associated with Islam because Christians apparently don't exist in the Middle East or other minorities other than Muslims

ReputationRep:
    Well maybe you should educate yourself on what the word means and who uses it across the world rather. People speak Arabic in the Middle East,so obviously they won't go around saying God willing,instead they'll say inshallah. You could be a Muslim or Christian,it doesn't matter. I worship Allah and I'm a Christian and soon you'll be telling me I shouldn't be worshipping Allah ebecause extremists do that,do you see the logic?
    while, from a linguistic and philological point of view, you are perfectly right, but the time perhaps is not for such subtleties - when people hear someone shouting "allahu akhbar", they duck for cover, they do not reflect on philological issues

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iEthan)
    Stop being utterly ridiculous.

Nah.

I'll continue stating my mind.

You can log off if you're not comfortable.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure you'd say that to yesterdays victims given it was probably the Arabic they heard just before they were slaughtered
    Should we tell everyone to stop speaking Arabic?

ReputationRep:
    Should we tell everyone to stop speaking Arabic?
    perhaps just in threads where we are talking about Muslims slaughtering people.

ReputationRep:
    Wrong time and place to use an arabic word synonymous with terrorists.

Especially because you're a christian. You speak English very well. Why not just say God willing?

If you still can't understand that then the argument will just continue in a loop.

Next thing you'll be telling me,I can't say I'm from the middle easy because the terrorists were too. It's an Arabic word,can you please just get over it and move on? We have different ways of saying things in different countries and this word is not associated with any specific religion,it is a shared word. I speak mostly Arabic,I even say it to my non Arab friends who aren't Muslims or Christians so it's normal because I'm used to it

ReputationRep:
    Because everything Arabic is apparently associated with Islam because Christians apparently don't exist in the Middle East or other minorities other than Muslims
    They are just trying to find any excuse to complain. There's nothing wrong with you speaking Arabic. You literally only said one word. I don't see the problem. :curious:

ReputationRep:
    نحلة أنت جميلة جدا

translation:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    there are many wonderful things in the Levant

ReputationRep:
    Youre missing their point.

A swashtika is used throughout the world for various purposes, and thats fine. Wearing one at a holocaust memorial would be insensative

Now, i dont agree that saying inshallah is the same in this context, but that is their point, not that you shouldnt be ablr to use the word at all.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.