Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My friend stole from me and I feel awful Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    There is a chance it could have been someone elses, but you could narrow that down.

If th bottle was yours as you bought it and of a distinctive brand (label) then youd have to think it was more then a oincidence that she just happened to have that brand at the time one went missing. I dont think its an un reasonable assumption and you would never know without DNA testing etc.

You just have to move on though.
    Thanks I guess there's nothing I can do apart from move on. It won't end our friendship but I'll be more cautious from now on.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    but a £5 bottle a store keeps what 2-3 cases in stock at anyone time of one brand so it plausible if it was a rothschild the only place you find one of those is waitrose catalogue or harrods or amazon
    All you are saying is a rare bottle of wine is distinctive by its rarity, it doesnt mean a cheap botle of wine cnat be distinctive in its own right. its circumstantial so look at all the circumstances. They are unique to their flat.

If it was from the £5 bottle store next door own brand, then difficult

if they rarely have wine or came from a supermarket far away then its more likely hers. You cna also tell when a poor liar is lying.

Being objective I wouldnt jump to conclusions or accuse unless reasonably sure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cajach)
    It would have been a convenient coincidence since it was the exact same brand, same type of wine, from a pretty specific region. Plus I find it strange how someone who claims they don't like wine would go out of their way into town to buy some. Unless they spent minimum order £40 to order from the supermarket which it is sold exclusively to to get it home delivered. Which would also be a unusual seeing as she is living in catered accommodation. But yes, there could be a chance it was not mine.
    ok i'll agree with you as these circumstances change the situation alot
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Thanks I guess there's nothing I can do apart from move on. It won't end our friendship but I'll be more cautious from now on.
    Thats the right mindset imo. It will happen again in the future, you just need to make sure you handle it well and especually dont beat yourself up over things its pointless.

Btw next time take a cheap generic brand you dont mind going missing. If I take stuff to a party i dont expect to see it again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AccountingBabe)
    You need to grow up...

Maybe she thought you were going to leave it there and decided to take it and then realised you wanted it and felt embarrassed to say she had taken it.

Also she might be telling the truth and it's not yours.

Either way you have serious trust issues over a half empty bottle of wine.
    Hilarious

ReputationRep:
    it's wine not a boyfriend lol, i would have just taken the half bottle back and finished it ffs

ReputationRep:
    I had a get together w my friends and there was a full bottle of wine which we didn't get round to drinking. When they left I couldn't find it anywhere. I thought one of my housemates (who I don't get along with) stole it and shrugged it off cause I didn't want to cause drama. I texted most of my friends asking if they took it to which they replied no. I forgot about it until a few days later I saw the exact same bottle in my friends room half full. I asked her why she took it and why she said no when I asked if she took it. She was laughing and saying it was hers even though it is blatantly the same one I had... I came to her for all my problems and considered her one of my most trustworthy friends. A bottle of wine is not a big deal but it's the dishonesty that hurts, especially as she still hasn't texted me to apologise even though I stormed out of her room and I was obviously upset by it I have trust issues and SA so I can't stop thinking about it. Not sure how to deal with it..
    You are being a drama queen. Someone grabbing a spare bottle of wine / coke / whatever after a party to take home is no big deal. Get over it.

ReputationRep:
    loooooool half the people here don't even understand the issue properly and are chatting pure shít, especially 999tigger.

Obviously, if the OP has trust issues something like this could be affecting them in the long term.

People are also chatting shít once again, by claiming that your "friend" purchased the wine.

> the wine disappears from your room
    > the wine now appears in your friends room

its pretty obvious that she stole it...
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by ajaxkiller)
    loooooool half the people here don't even understand the issue properly and are chatting pure shít, especially 999tigger.

Obviously, if the OP has trust issues something like this could be affecting them in the long term.

People are also chatting shít once again, by claiming that your "friend" purchased the wine.

> the wine disappears from your room
    > the wine now appears in your friends room

its pretty obvious that she stole it...
    rather than tell me im speaking ****, care to point it out?

I thought my advice was spot on. the issue is trust and the fact its more significant for the OP becayse she has SA.
    Whether or not the wine was the win in question is besides the point, but if you wnat to know then you look at the evidence and the circumstances. I was exploring that issue to point out it wasnt cut and drawn to those people who were saying no it wasnt the same bottle.
    She cna have her supsicions, but difficult to prove as its her word against the other persons.

You might wnat to read the thread or if you wnat to make a point then point it out, unless thats your normal mo.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Welcome Squad
    No clue why people are making OP feel stupid about this situation and making them feel like they're in the wrong. I think it's pretty damn obvious the friend took the wine. You guys see the good in people way too much

The wine is not the issue here, it's the blatant dishonesty, I'd be annoyed myself. OP, if this friend doesn't want to apologise, along with the fact they took your wine in the first place, they're not worth it. Wait until they get in contact with you. If not, people should be given a second chance, so if you can get past this then by all means just speak to your friend and see how things turn out.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It was £5. Don't know why everyone keeps going on about how its just a bottle of wine. I've already agreed that a bottle of wine is not a big deal. A friend stole from me and I feel betrayed. Is that so irrational? :/
    i forgot to mention that a former friend stole my half ounce white gold bracelet from me i'd had it couple of months and it had cost £175 a positive is that the insurance paid out over cost due to the price rise so i got £300

ReputationRep:
    just ditch her she is not your friend. Someone has done something like that to me before. Look at it this way do you really want to be friends with someone like that anyway?

ReputationRep:
    snip snip snip

ReputationRep:
    I would ignore it if you value the friendship.

ReputationRep:
    Don't trust dat hoe

Remain friends but don't tell her any of your personal business. Hang out, have fun - but she's not your close friend anymore. Trust and respect is vital, if someone doesn't connect with me honestly then forget it; any depth to that relationship isn't real and best avoided.

If she wants to admit it and talk to you on the level, that's fine and you can pick up where you left off. Don't even ask her to though. She's already given you her answer so that's that. Not to be trusted. Trying to talk about it will just make you a figure of mockery.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 23, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.