Turn on thread page Beta

I can't study, my brother is too loud? watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in the last year of A Levels and as you're all aware, exams are drawing very near, but I'm finding it impossible to study and getting very stressed and anxious about it.

My brother is 19, unemployed and not in education so he spends all day everyday at home. It seems he has a quiet house to himself all day and the minute I get home he blasts his music top volume, so I can never study when I'm home. If I ask him to turn it down he gets angry and turns it up, so I dont dare ask anymore.

My mum always gets home really late so she never witnesses it, and when I tell her the problem or ask her to phone him to turn the music down, he tells her it's quiet and that I'm over-reacting, then turns it even louder when they get off the phone.

On top of this, he's too lazy to ever tidy up so I'm made to clean the house most days so this eats up my study time too. It's really stressing me out and causing me bad anxiety but no one is helping or believing that it's such a problem. I go days at a time without being able to study and all I can think is that I'm going to fail my exams and not get into uni.

I live in the middle of nowhere so there are no places I can go to study and It's freezing and windy if I sit outside. In college, all the designated silent study areas are noisy, which I have complained about but no one cares to do anything about it. I try to persevere but I cant here myself think. There is so much time i'm wasting that I could using to study at home but it's just so noisy. This has been going on for the past half a year but its getting worse and I've had numerous anxiety attacks over it. The music is non stop everyday.

Sorry this was so long but I'm at my wits end. I'd really appreciate any ideas you may have!?

EDIT: It also doesnt help that I have been without a teacher for 3 months due to my irresponsible college so theres SO much I need to catch up on on my own. I'm losing hope!!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by applesiw)
    I'm currently in the last year of A Levels and as you're all aware, exams are drawing very near, but I'm finding it impossible to study and getting very stressed and anxious about it.

My brother is 19, unemployed and not in education so he spends all day everyday at home. It seems he has a quiet house to himself all day and the minute a get home he blasts his music top volume, so i can never study when i get home. If i ask him to turn it down he gets angry and turns it up, so I dont dare ask anymore.

My mum always gets home really late so she never witnesses it, and when i tell her the problem or ask her to phone him to turn the music down, he tells her it's quiet and that I'm overreacting, then turns it even louder when they get off the phone.

On top of this, he's too lazy to ever tidy up so im made to clean the house most days so this eats up my study time too. It's really stressing me out and causing me bad anxiety but no one is helping or believing that its such a problem. I go days at a time without being able to study and all i can think is that im going to fail my exams and not get into uni.

I live in the middle of nowhere so there are no places i can go to study and It's freezing and windy if i sit outside. In college, all the designated silent study areas are noisy which i have complained about but no one cares to do anything about it. I try to persevere but i cant here myself think. There is so much time i'm wasting that i could using foe study at home but its so noisy. This has been going on for the past half a year but its getting worse and Ive had numerous anxiety attacks over it. The music is non stop everyday.

Sorry this was so long but I'm at my wits end. I'd really appreciate any ideas you may have!?
    I have ridiculously sensitive hearing so bought ear protectors (the kind you use with neumatic drills) from amazon and they do the trick for almost all noises if the neighbours have a part so i would give them a try.

ReputationRep:
    awww this is awful !

all i can suggest is you buy some ear defenders right away. your brother sounds like a real douche.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Diy-FSL-Deci...=ear+defenders
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Ear plugs as above. Id guess hes doing it deliberately and it seems unlikely your mum will change things.

the only other suggestions I have are: 1 Family friend or neighbour if they have soemwhere you cna study. 2 make a complain to the college, possibly film it on your phone when iys noisy and its a quite area, then ask if they cna set aside a few rooms for people who want quiet study.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful revision links

Articles

Writing revision notes

Our top revision articles

Tips and advice on making the most of your study time.

Boomarked book

Superpowered study

Take the hard work out of revising with our masterplan.

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Can you help? Study Help unanswered threadsStudy Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.