Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Weird might not be the best word but I wasn't sure what else to use.

Basically I am in a gap year/revising for resits for uni next year, however as my parents pay for me to get tuition, they said I need to earn my own money for a social life. Over Christmas and before that I worked and made some money, spent some on useful stuff but generally just blew it on stuff.

So now my cash is beginning to run dry I decided to look for another job, however due to my revision (attempts, still not great) I think full time work like I did before wouldn't be good (I was working up to 60 hours), so after failing at the interview stage, I decided to sign on at the job centre to help me look for work.

At the job centre, you must attend these weekly 'sessions' for young people looking for jobs and I feel like I massively stick out and I feel a bit embarrassed to be there. Like everyone else in my group without stereotyping is 'different' from me, how they speak, what they wear, what they do.

It seems to be really serious for some of these guys and I'm just looking for a bit of cash before I go to uni which I didn't want to bring up to not make myself sound different. A lot of them have a lot of 'vocational' experience doing hands on stuff, I mean I worked in a warehouse for a few weeks but other than that I'm awful at being hands on. When we were talking about CVs and qualifications came up, a lot of them just said "I put down 5 A*-C including Maths and English" and when I heard this, I quickly turned my CV over so nobody saw (they're not TSR standard grades but still higher).

Everyone in the session mainly set back and didn't really interact with the work coach except me and I felt like I was the 'class nerd' who kept answering questions and such. I also made a bit of a faux pas by asking a question about which type of suit would be best for an interview which nobody really 'got'.

I don't look down on them, I mean they're in the same position as me right now but do you think they I'm like weird or something?

ReputationRep:
    Do you have to pay for these resits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    Weird might not be the best word but I wasn't sure what else to use.

Basically I am in a gap year/revising for resits for uni next year, however as my parents pay for me to get tuition, they said I need to earn my own money for a social life. Over Christmas and before that I worked and made some money, spent some on useful stuff but generally just blew it on stuff.

So now my cash is beginning to run dry I decided to look for another job, however due to my revision (attempts, still not great) I think full time work like I did before wouldn't be good (I was working up to 60 hours), so after failing at the interview stage, I decided to sign on at the job centre to help me look for work.

At the job centre, you must attend these weekly 'sessions' for young people looking for jobs and I feel like I massively stick out and I feel a bit embarrassed to be there. Like everyone else in my group without stereotyping is 'different' from me, how they speak, what they wear, what they do.

It seems to be really serious for some of these guys and I'm just looking for a bit of cash before I go to uni which I didn't want to bring up to not make myself sound different. A lot of them have a lot of 'vocational' experience doing hands on stuff, I mean I worked in a warehouse for a few weeks but other than that I'm awful at being hands on. When we were talking about CVs and qualifications came up, a lot of them just said "I put down 5 A*-C including Maths and English" and when I heard this, I quickly turned my CV over so nobody saw (they're not TSR standard grades but still higher).

Everyone in the session mainly set back and didn't really interact with the work coach except me and I felt like I was the 'class nerd' who kept answering questions and such. I also made a bit of a faux pas by asking a question about which type of suit would be best for an interview which nobody really 'got'.

I don't look down on them, I mean they're in the same position as me right now but do you think they I'm like weird or something?
    Welcome to the real world real people with real grades. LoL you're not weird you're just above average intelligence wise. Suck it up and get on with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mall-cop)
    Do you have to pay for these resits?
    Yes, I've already paid for them in November from my previous job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Welcome to the real world real people with real grades. LoL you're not weird you're just above average intelligence wise. Suck it up and get on with it.
    I just find it quite odd, like back in sixth form there were many kids who would be offended by being called middle class and would argue their working class roots and how there family struggled but they were still not like this. Like at school I'd have people with macbooks and iPhones saying they are annoyed with this rich guy cause he has a 6S and they only have a 6.

ReputationRep:
    This is TSR, everyone's weird.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you care what they think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RobML)
    Why do you care what they think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I guess being on a gap year that has been uneventful other than interacting with my friends and family, I've not really seen many 'new' people for a while.Like they've not been rude to me or anything but I'm just thinking not in an aggressive way but do people like them find people like me a bit annoying.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about it. Being different from other people isn't a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dinasaurus)
    I just find it quite odd, like back in sixth form there were many kids who would be offended by being called middle class and would argue their working class roots and how there family struggled but they were still not like this. Like at school I'd have people with macbooks and iPhones saying they are annoyed with this rich guy cause he has a 6S and they only have a 6.

You get that but people come from all sorts of backgrounds and achieve all sorts of different things in life. Don't let it bother you. You'll be in uni soon presuming you are going to uni and there you will find people are more judgemental about academic ability rather than monetary values. Suck it up.

ReputationRep:
    TLDR.

Yes.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.