Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What subjects are all you picking for A-level and why? :) Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm first year A level, I'm choosing Maths, History, Government and Politics and History. All AQA exam board.
    At first, I decided to choose History and Maths because on PPE Oxford website, these 2 subjects are recommended so I choose it.
    I choose Chemistry because I did pretty good in my secondary school so I thought I can easily get A in Chemistry (I was afraid I could't get 3As in my A level but now I can get 4As)
    And Government and Politics is my genuine interest. It is very interesting if you can catch up with what is going on in the news as you study it in the class. You even can see which politicians just make noise to attract attention from media, which are wimp. I'm so more open- minded with other races and opinions and become much more mature.
    I regret 1 thing- I DIDN'T TAKE PHILOSOPHY. If your future college offer AQA exam board, in 1st year I'll study religion philosophy, God exist/not exists... and 2nd year you'll study about moral philosophy. I recommend you watch programme Justice from Michael Sandel Harvard Uni to know more about this.
    Yeah, and my ambition is PPE (politics, economics, philosophy) Oxford. I'll apply this year. Hopefully I'll get 4As in this AS exam. Finger crossed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CJKAllstar)
    Government and Politics: Wanna do PPE at Oxford
    Economics: Wanna do PPE at Oxford
    History: Wanna do PPE at Oxford
    Maths: Wanna do PPE at Oxford

Lol not *really*, I have a huge interest in politics, econ and political history, so the first three are all perf. Maths is complementary to econ, and needed for most politics & econ courses. PPE is my ideal though <3
    Did you choose college yet? Are you going to apply this year Sept 2016?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uniklimbu10)
    I am doing my GCSE exams in less than 2 months (Good luck to anyone who is doing their as well) and I am planning to pick Further maths (I love maths), Physics (<3) and maybe Chemistry as my fifth because in my school Further maths count as 3 A levels (Further maths, Normal maths and Statistics). I was wondering what you guys are planning and why?
    Im in my AS year and I do the same thing as you though my school only counts Maths and further maths as two A levels. Havent written an essay in months and A levels are far easier than I thought they'd be :3

ReputationRep:
    Biology, Maths, Latin and Chemistry.

I just love all four of these subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry.
    Maths and further maths because I'm good at maths and I love doing maths. Physics because it's the study of the universe, and to me is an extremely fascinating subject. Chemistry, because it's basically and large field in physics, or physics' back up dancer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Chemistry.
    Maths and further maths because I'm food at maths and I love doing maths. Physics because it's the study of the universe, and to me is an extremely fascinating subject. Chemistry, because it's basically and large field in physics, or physics' back up dancer
    More like chemistry is the lead and physics is its groupie

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by caitlinford3)
    I'm sure I'll enjoy it next year
    okay

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScienceFantatic)
    More like chemistry is the lead and physics is its groupie
    Naah, there is chemistry in physics, like particle and atomic physics, you don't see physics in chemistry,which is why scientists agree that physics is the lead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kennethdcharles)
    Naah, there is chemistry in physics, like particle and atomic physics, you don't see physics in chemistry,which is why scientists agree that physics is the lead

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathstatician)
    That's fair though I would put physicists a little closer to mathematicians as they do a lot of maths as part of their jobs.

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to do history, psychology, business and english language.

I chose these because they link well and they'll help me in all of my job preferences and I'm terrible at everything else so YOLO

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Woody_Pigeon)
    Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology

I'm insane.
    Indeed you are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HeimIX)
    Indeed you are.
    Physics
    Maths
    Economics
    (Not sure what i want to do for the fourth, maybe Computing)

I chose these because I'm good at Maths and Physics.

With Economics I chose that, as it will help me be what I want to be in the future which is a Stock Broker/Inv Banker.

These two jobs will help me reach my life goal which is to get rich, and die alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by homeland.lsw)
    Maths
    Physics
    Chemistry
    Biology

Because other subjects bore the hell out of me...
    I planned on the exact same combo so got some questions. How hard is it to be doing all 4 of the A levels which are said to be the hardest? How much Maths is involved in the Sciences? Do you think it would be a good idea to take the Sciences without Maths A level? Do the subjects take away all your social life?

ReputationRep:
    English Lit- I LOVE English and reading and analysing texts.

History- My other fav subject, I just love learning about the past and how it has impacted on the present.

Politics- Interested to advance my understanding how the country is controlled, how the system works etc.

Psychology- At the college I'm going to you need to pick four (unfortunately). This is my gap one and but I'm curious to understand how the mind works I guess..?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinka99)
    I planned on the exact same combo so got some questions. How hard is it to be doing all 4 of the A levels which are said to be the hardest?
    It's hard, but doable if you start preparing early and revising effectively (e.g. by doing lots and lots of questions on a daily basis).

How much Maths is involved in the Sciences?
    Not much Maths involved really (only basic Maths for Biology and Chem, but with Physics you'll learn a little from AS Maths)

Do you think it would be a good idea to take the Sciences without Maths A level? Do the subjects take away all your social life?
    Maths is not a requirement for the other sciences. That generally depends on the person. You can have a social life if you start planning and being organised.

(Original post by Tinka99)
    I planned on the exact same combo so got some questions. How hard is it to be doing all 4 of the A levels which are said to be the hardest? How much Maths is involved in the Sciences? Do you think it would be a good idea to take the Sciences without Maths A level? Do the subjects take away all your social life?
    Thinks, I have no idea because I am also in year 11

ReputationRep:
    I'm in year 10 currently

but i'm interested in communication & culture, french, psychology, ict, philosophy, sociology and english lang

ReputationRep:
    Im doing..... im hoping to get into medicine

Further maths
    Mathematics
    Biology
    Chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Maths
    Chemistry
    Physics

These are my strongest subjects and I'm Chinese (sorry but I had to say that - and I am actually Chinese)

Geography because I enjoy it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.