The Student Room Group

What subjects are all you picking for A-level and why? :)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kkboyk
It's hard, but doable if you start preparing early and revising effectively (e.g. by doing lots and lots of questions on a daily basis).

Not much Maths involved really (only basic Maths for Biology and Chem, but with Physics you'll learn a little from AS Maths)

Maths is not a requirement for the other sciences. That generally depends on the person. You can have a social life if you start planning and being organised.

I am very strong in the Sciences A*/A but struggling to even get a B in Maths currently at a C. I need a B to get onto Science and Maths (If I choose to) A levels which I feel can be completely done with revision. Do you think I would struggle in the Sciences considering my lack of mathematical ability? I really don't want to take on Maths A level as it is a subject of severe struggle for me.
Original post by homeland.lsw
Thinks, I have no idea because I am also in year 11

It is always a good idea to have at least two facilitating subjects even if you have no idea what to do.
Original post by Tinka99
It is always a good idea to have at least two facilitating subjects even if you have no idea what to do.

No I already posted my options...but then you asked me all about them, whether I would have a social life etc. and I was like I don't know I'm still in year 11 :smile:
Original post by caitlinford3
I'm doing English literature because I love it.

French (which some people think I'm crazy for) but I love the language, the city and I find it so cool to speak in a different language.

Biology because I do really enjoy it, it contrasts the english/french so it will show I am a diverse student & it is a subject for the career pathway I'm planning to take.

For the fourth I'm thinking maths because I enjoy it & it will also help me for the career pathway I want to take, but possibly either psychology instead or politics.

Between Psychology and Gov & Pol, I would recommend not taking Psychology - the new spec is apparently very bland and tedious. And Gov & Pol is only going into the new spec in 2017, plus it's an amazing course. Anyone I know who has done both has always recommended it over Psychology.
Reply 44
Original post by Tinka99
I am very strong in the Sciences A*/A but struggling to even get a B in Maths currently at a C. I need a B to get onto Science and Maths (If I choose to) A levels which I feel can be completely done with revision. Do you think I would struggle in the Sciences considering my lack of mathematical ability? I really don't want to take on Maths A level as it is a subject of severe struggle for me.

As I mentioned before, you don't need Maths to do science (only basic Maths skills). However, if you are going to apply for a science degree at uni you must achieve a minimum grade B in GCSE.

You should do lots of questions for Maths to push your grades up, as well as watch tutorials at ExamSolutions. If you are struggling to get a B at GCSE Maths, you will struggle at A-level, though if you put in A LOT of work you can overcome this (I got a B at GCSE and currently doing A2 Maths and Further Maths).
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Philosophy

Maths, Chem and Physics because they're my strongest subjects and the most interesting imo and Philosophy because I feel as though I'd miss essay writing at A-level if I don't take the subject - also it would help me acquire the ability to reason, form my own judgements, express myself coherently and contribute to the process of debate. Which I think are skills needed for any profession tbh :yep:
Original post by QuibblerWaffle
Maths
Chemistry
Physics
Philosophy

Maths, Chem and Physics because they're my strongest subjects and the most interesting imo and Philosophy because I feel as though I'd miss essay writing at A-level if I don't take the subject - also it would help me acquire the ability to reason, form my own judgements, express myself coherently and contribute to the process of debate. Which I think are skills needed for any profession tbh :yep:

Good choices. Philosophy was the one essay subject I was on the fence about.

Though, no Further Maths even though you want to study engineering?
Original post by Mathstatician
Good choices. Philosophy was the one essay subject I was on the fence about.

Though, no Further Maths even though you want to study engineering?

I was thinking of dropping philosophy at A2, then probably taking Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A2 with Further maths AS
Sounds like a good plan to me:redface:
Original post by QuibblerWaffle
I was thinking of dropping philosophy at A2, then probably taking Maths, Chemistry and Physics at A2 with Further maths AS
Sounds like a good plan to me:redface:

So long as you're creative with the truth come admissions and say you 'developed an interest' in that subject area during your AS year, hence the switch (and not taking it initially), it sounds like a great plan.
Original post by popcornjpg
Between Psychology and Gov & Pol, I would recommend not taking Psychology - the new spec is apparently very bland and tedious. And Gov & Pol is only going into the new spec in 2017, plus it's an amazing course. Anyone I know who has done both has always recommended it over Psychology.

Yeah I've heard psychology is becoming a less and less valued subject! I was just thinking of taking it because I want a career in psychology, but I don't actually need to do it at a-level to get into it so that's why I was only considering it!

I might take politics - I've got a few friends who love it too, I guess now I struggle between the decision of politics or maths haha :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest