Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I've just sent off applications for my MA while in the final year of my first degree. Hoping to start 2016 at a Russell Group Uni in London. What are the chances of rejection for a masters? I've applied to Kings and UCL and I'm considering LSE and QM. I don't have a Russell group degree and I'm on a 2:1 at the moment but can push it up to a first depending on final results. Has anyone got accepted into these uni's? what are your grades like? do a levels count? I'm wondering if I should apply to some less prestigious ones also. Is it common for people to get rejected? I've just decided to do a masters and hold of on the GDL which pretty much accepts anyone who will pay hence my lack of knowledge. Please someone reply. Really need advice.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I had a similar experience to you when applying for my MA. My undergraduate degree was from an ex-polytechnic and I have just been accepted into a Russell Group university for my MA. As far as I can tell it doesn't really matter what university you attended whilst studying for your undergraduate degree, it all depends on what you do during your degree and what classification you receive at the end of it (usually 2:1 or higher). If I were you I'd aim for the first over the next couple of months as competition for places at MA level is quite tough but I think your chances of getting in are quite good. Typically, the do not take your A levels into consideration (unless you are applying for Oxbridge courses).

Good luck with the rest of your studies, let me know if you have any other questions.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help. Do you think it matters whether you get a high 2:1 or are they all equal? So do you think I should leave my a levels off my applications?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.