Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should women's bathrooms have urinals? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In our modern society which has embraced ideological transgenderism, we ought to acknowledge and accept that some transgender women were born in the wrong body and therefore regrettably have a penis.

These transgender women do, of course, use women's bathrooms. Suppose, however, that some of these women would very much like to use a urinal.

Why would they want to use a urinal, I hear you ask. Well, a urinal has some obvious benefits, being both quicker and more hygienic. But that is besides the point.

If we as a society accept that both men and women can have penises, isn't it flagrantly discriminatory to place urinals exclusively in men's bathrooms? Shouldn't we enable anyone with a penis - regardless of their gender - to use a urinal, should they wish to?

Surely, therefore, we should insist that both women's and men's bathrooms are fitted with urinals.

ReputationRep:
    No, just no.
    Sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Definition of a first world problem right here.

ReputationRep:
    haha they can just stand up when they go to a bathroom with standard toilets or just sit down.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thaladan)
    In our modern society which has embraced ideological transgenderism, we ought to acknowledge and accept that some transgender women were born in the wrong body and therefore regrettably have a penis.

These transgender women do, of course, use women's bathrooms. Suppose, however, that some of these women would very much like to use a urinal.

Why would they want to use a urinal, I hear you ask. Well, a urinal has some obvious benefits, being both quicker and more hygienic. But that is besides the point.

If we as a society accept that both men and women can have penises, isn't it flagrantly discriminatory to place urinals exclusively in men's bathrooms? Shouldn't we enable anyone with a penis - regardless of their gender - to use a urinal, should they wish to?

Surely, therefore, we should insist that both women's and men's bathrooms are fitted with urinals.
    What I'd like to see is a study that shows many people in the trans community want this.
    I think all most care about is being able to use a bathroom safely.

ReputationRep:
    The obvious solution is to make all toilets gender-neutral.

ReputationRep:
    Or just have unisex bathrooms...

ReputationRep:
    this is the most ridiculous thread ive ever seen jesus christ.

ReputationRep:
    I would guess that a transgender woman would want to seem as much as possible like a "normal" woman as possible, and probably wouldn't support the idea of urinals in women's bathrooms. Or, at least - let's give them the opportunity to ask for urinals themselves, rather than foisting urinals upon them, shall we? I haven't heard any demands for them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    No, just no.
    Sorry.
    Why not? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I would guess that a transgender woman would want to seem as much as possible like a "normal" woman as possible, and probably wouldn't support the idea of urinals in women's bathrooms. Or, at least - let's give them the opportunity to ask for urinals themselves, rather than foisting urinals upon them, shall we? I haven't heard any demands for them.
    I'm not suggesting that we should be "foisting urinals upon them". I'm simply advocating that they should have that option should they wish to use it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not suggesting that we should be "foisting urinals upon them". I'm simply advocating that they should have that option should they wish to use it.
    Your logic is brilliant.
    No-one has asked for there to be a water fountain to be placed onto the outside of every single post box, but lets do that, just so people have the option to use them...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Your logic is brilliant.
    No-one has asked for there to be a water fountain to be placed onto the outside of every single post box, but lets do that, just so people have the option to use them...
    Your analogy is flawed and misleading. It's irrelevant to the fundamental issue of discrimination.

A better analogy is tampon-dispensers in women's bathrooms. Should a transgender man, who still has a biological need for tampons, have to use a women's bathroom - effectively dismissing his own gender which he has worked so for society to acknowledge - just to access the tampon-dispenser? That's horrible discrimination. Surely it would be better to offer tampon-dispensers in men's bathroom's too, so that transgender men can comfortably access them.

ReputationRep:

Wait a second
    1. I'm sure this hasn't happened yet and most likely never will since people will continue to judge and some will still discriminate
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This is the stupidest ****in suggestion I've seen on this website in terms of "equality".

ReputationRep:
    Your analogy is flawed and misleading. It's irrelevant to the fundamental issue of discrimination.

A better analogy is tampon-dispensers in women's bathrooms. Should a transgender man, who still has a biological need for tampons, have to use a women's bathroom - effectively dismissing his own gender which he has worked so for society to acknowledge - just to access the tampon-dispenser? That's horrible discrimination. Surely it would be better to offer tampon-dispensers in men's bathroom's too, so that transgender men can comfortably access them.
    You've assumed that it's discrimination not to have urinals in women's bathroom's without actually bothering to find out if it is. So until you have shown that that premise holds true, my analogy will stand.

ReputationRep:
    no I think if you have a penis you shouldn't be allowed in the women's bathroom
    Spoiler:
    Show
    except babies ofc

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    You've assumed that it's discrimination not to have urinals in women's bathroom's without actually bothering to find out if it is. So until you have shown that that premise holds true, my analogy will stand.
    Let's consult the Cambridge Dictionary...

discrimination (noun) - treating a ​person or ​particular ​group of ​people ​differently, ​especially in a ​worse way from the way in which you ​treat other ​people, because of ​their ​skin ​colour, ​sex, ​sexuality, etc.

Transgender women are treated differently from men because of their gender. Transgender women cannot use a urinal, despite being able to, while men can.

That is discrimination.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vikingninja)
    This is the stupidest ****in suggestion I've seen on this website in terms of "equality".
    Why's it stupid?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Why's it stupid?
    Don't need to use a urinal, its some male preference thing. Also quite frankly if someone views themselves as female then they use whats available. Absolutely no need for urinals in womens toilets for a very small number of people when they don't even need it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.