Turn on thread page Beta

Should women's bathrooms have urinals? watch

Announcements

(Original post by Thaladan)
    In our modern society which has embraced ideological transgenderism, we ought to acknowledge and accept that some transgender women were born in the wrong body and therefore regrettably have a penis.

These transgender women do, of course, use women's bathrooms. Suppose, however, that some of these women would very much like to use a urinal.

Why would they want to use a urinal, I hear you ask. Well, a urinal has some obvious benefits, being both quicker and more hygienic. But that is besides the point.

If we as a society accept that both men and women can have penises, isn't it flagrantly discriminatory to place urinals exclusively in men's bathrooms? Shouldn't we enable anyone with a penis - regardless of their gender - to use a urinal, should they wish to?

Surely, therefore, we should insist that both women's and men's bathrooms are fitted with urinals.
    I suggest you do some reading on genetics and physiology before posting again.

ReputationRep:

If we as a society accept that both men and women can have penises, isn't it flagrantly discriminatory to place urinals exclusively in men's bathrooms? Shouldn't we enable anyone with a penis - regardless of their gender - to use a urinal, should they wish to?

Surely, therefore, we should insist that both women's and men's bathrooms are fitted with urinals.
    Oh, 2016.

Yes, if you accept that it's discriminatory. No, even in that case we shouldn't insist that both women's and men's bathrooms are fitted with urinals. The present facilities work fine, and it would be something of a waste of space and plumbing to fit a urinal in a woman's bathroom which would very close to never be used.

ReputationRep:
    Let's consult the Cambridge Dictionary...

discrimination (noun) - treating a ​person or ​particular ​group of ​people ​differently, ​especially in a ​worse way from the way in which you ​treat other ​people, because of ​their ​skin ​colour, ​sex, ​sexuality, etc.

Transgender women are treated differently from men because of their gender. Transgender women cannot use a urinal, despite being able to, while men can.

That is discrimination.
    Your point might actually be valid if there was evidence that pre op transgender women wanted to use urinals. The penis in our society being a symbol of maleness, it would surprise me to learn that (m)any do want to.
    Moreover, their ability to pee standing up is not hampered by not having a urinal. Most people prefer privacy when they go to the loo. This is especially true of the trans community who are often outed against their will, and face violent reactions to their identity.

ReputationRep:
    I have no problem with accommodating peoples identities.

But in other areas of the world anyone who isn't heterosexual/Cisgender is executed. Maybe we should focus our efforts on that first rather than something so insignificant in comparison?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barney6262)

But in other areas of the world anyone who isn't heterosexual/Cisgender is executed. Maybe we should focus our efforts on that first rather than something so insignificant in comparison?
    Why cant we do both?

ReputationRep:

Are you aware of the suicide rates and assault rates for people simply for being trans?

ReputationRep:
    There's no "need" for urinals anywhere. I'm assuming most of you don't have one in your house, and get on just fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Are you aware of the suicide rates and assault rates for people simply for being trans?
    Do you think those suicide stats are because they don't have urinals in female bathrooms?

or is it because they feel pressured/embarrassed/bullied by a society which views transgenders as broken? In which case, do you think singling them out in the bathroom as the ones who stand up will help?

ReputationRep:
    Would they have toilets too? Because unless you want me to pee all over myself, then yes female bathrooms should have urinals.

ReputationRep:
    In our modern society which has embraced ideological transgenderism, we ought to acknowledge and accept that some transgender women were born in the wrong body and therefore regrettably have a penis.

These transgender women do, of course, use women's bathrooms. Suppose, however, that some of these women would very much like to use a urinal.

Why would they want to use a urinal, I hear you ask. Well, a urinal has some obvious benefits, being both quicker and more hygienic. But that is besides the point.

Wtf? Why would any transgender woman use one of these, even if they were installed?

ReputationRep:
    No... that's weird af

(Original post by tazarooni89)
    There's no "need" for urinals anywhere. I'm assuming most of you don't have one in your house, and get on just fine.
    This tbh.

ReputationRep:
    they should if a woman is transgender

ReputationRep:

Why not just lift up the toilet seat?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Unisex and female urinals do exist in some places. Discrimination and transgender issues aside, they could save space and water. :dontknow:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female...Female_urinals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    I would guess that a transgender woman would want to seem as much as possible like a "normal" woman as possible, and probably wouldn't support the idea of urinals in women's bathrooms. Or, at least - let's give them the opportunity to ask for urinals themselves, rather than foisting urinals upon them, shall we? I haven't heard any demands for them.
    Trans women are normal women. Do you mean cis women?

ReputationRep:
    Do you think those suicide stats are because they don't have urinals in female bathrooms?

or is it because they feel pressured/embarrassed/bullied by a society which views transgenders as broken? In which case, do you think singling them out in the bathroom as the ones who stand up will help?
    I'm saying that we need to tackle transphobia here and abroad. Not that this topic is particularly worthy of much so far, as the OP has failed to provide evidence that this would in anyway be helpful. But the way in which we dictate who goes into what bathroom. Certain states in America are especially bad for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    Trans women are normal women. Do you mean cis women?
    Yeah, that's the word I was searching for - that's why I put normal in quotes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Yeah, that's the word I was searching for - that's why I put normal in quotes.
    It's pretty upsetting that I was expecting a load of transphobia rather than 'I didn't know the word'.

ReputationRep:
    If you've got a penis your a man lol sorry

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.