Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering if there is anyone who got a grade B in Maths at GCSE and is doing it for A-levels. How are you coping?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philip-flop)
    Just wondering if there is anyone who got a grade B in Maths at GCSE and is doing it for A-levels. How are you coping?
    Hiya, I didn't personally get a B in it but a few people I know got C's in it and are doing AS Maths, and they seem just fine with it. All you need is exam practise and you've pretty much aced it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravioliyears)
    Hiya, I didn't personally get a B in it but a few people I know got C's in it and are doing AS Maths, and they seem just fine with it. All you need is exam practise and you've pretty much aced it
    That's good that they're getting on with Maths fine! But for me I am struggling quite a bit! I was in 2nd set for Maths at school so didn't cover any of the A*/A grade stuff for GCSE meaning that everything for AS-level Maths is new for me

ReputationRep:
    That's good that they're getting on with Maths fine! But for me I am struggling quite a bit! I was in 2nd set for Maths at school so didn't cover any of the A*/A grade stuff for GCSE meaning that everything for AS-level Maths is new for me
    Ahh okay. Have you started doing past papers? Not much of it crosses over from gcse, just a few chapters in C1 and C2 (don't knwo about S1 as I'm doing M1).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ravioliyears)
    Ahh okay. Have you started doing past papers? Not much of it crosses over from gcse, just a few chapters in C1 and C2 (don't knwo about S1 as I'm doing M1).
    Oh really? I'm not sure what made me assume that a lot of the stuff at AS-level was covered at GCSE in the top set classes for Maths back at school. I don't even remember ever covering algebra back at school but managed to get a (B) grade!! Would like to know what the people in your class who got (C's) are doing in order to stay on top of things
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I got an A at GCSE and changed from A Level Maths to Philosophy & Ethics (what I originally wanted to do) within a month or so. Even though I enjoy both subjects, the abstract concepts were a bit much for me to grasp and also learn in a way that came easily to me, as most topics did at GCSE etc.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Oh really? I'm not sure what made me assume that a lot of the stuff at AS-level was covered at GCSE in the top set classes for Maths back at school. I don't even remember ever covering algebra back at school but managed to get a (B) grade!! Would like to know what the people in your class who got (C's) are doing in order to stay on top of things
    You've just got to work harder than everyone else. Practice as many questions as you can on each topic (from the textbook). If you get bored but can completely most questions succesfully, then do every other question.

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I got a B grade in maths. AS was way to much of a struggle, swapped it for geography one month in.
    I understand it is useful and all, but if your going to really struggle, consider something else.
    Sorry if this was not what you was looking for but i'd rather be honest with you.
    Lee

ReputationRep:
    I know people who got a B in GCSE and achieved A/A* at A level. Similarly, people who got A* at GCSE and achieved C/B at A level

ReputationRep:
    Like I said, it's just exam practise. Did students in the top set at your secondary school do Further Maths? Some more topics that are covered in FM are also covered. If you want a whole bunch of exam papers for maths, use a website called physics and maths tutor, and they have SO MANY papers. Wish you the best of luck!!

ReputationRep:
    I got a B at GCSE and a B at AS. Currently doing A2, where I'm predicted an A. I was admittedly quite lazy at GCSE, so I should really have done much better than that. I felt a bit behind others in my class to start with at AS, but with some hard work initially I caught up with them. Once you establish the basic rules of the maths in C1 and C2, you'll be fine. Some, however, never reach that level of understanding. If you understand it, AS maths is a breeze but if you don't you might struggle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MatOnMotors)
    I got a B at GCSE and a B at AS. Currently doing A2, where I'm predicted an A. I was admittedly quite lazy at GCSE, so I should really have done much better than that. I felt a bit behind others in my class to start with at AS, but with some hard work initially I caught up with them. Once you establish the basic rules of the maths in C1 and C2, you'll be fine. Some, however, never reach that level of understanding. If you understand it, AS maths is a breeze but if you don't you might struggle.
    Well done! That is a very decent grade! I was like you back at school, never did homework or revised for exams as I was lazy but still managed to get fairly decent grades but regret not trying harder! But I am really struggling with the questions at AS as I don't seem to understand what is asked in a lot of the questions

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I got a B at GCSE. College wanted me to take uses of maths but I took a level maths. Couldn't even do fractions at the start of the year but am now one of the top in the class . Any questions just ask

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do GCSE maths properly - I was taught at home so just taught myself the topics from a GCSE revision guide. I did cover higher level topics, which include things like completing the square and certain algebraic things, and I think that definitely helped when it came to studying C1 and C2. Because I sat my GCSE in maths alongside my A level (just for the sake of completion and keeping my college happy) I didn't actually do GCSE lessons and my maths teacher put me in for the intermediate tier exam so I didn't get caught up in thinking about my GCSE rather than my A level. I ended up with a C at GCSE but managed to get an A at AS and then an A at A2 level.

What I would suggest to you is to get yourself a revision guide (I always used CGP) if you don't already have one, because sometimes a night self-studying a topic in a revision guide can set something in your mind more than sitting in a class full of other students can. I think the CGP books are really good at explaining algebraic concepts, simultaneous equations, and completing the square amongst other topics (although obviously everyone learns differently, so I'm not saying this will definitely be perfect for you). It helps to do the worked examples on paper just to make sure you can follow along with the concepts being explained to you and then do the sample exam questions at the end of each topic (which are worked through in the mark scheme at the back of the book if the books are still set out the way they were when I used them). If you can't get to an answer yourself just work backwards from the answer in the book and that should help you figure out how to get there in future.

Once you have a handle on the topics doing past papers, as mentioned above, is the best way to improve your grade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    I didn't do GCSE maths properly - I was taught at home so just taught myself the topics from a GCSE revision guide. I did cover higher level topics, which include things like completing the square and certain algebraic things, and I think that definitely helped when it came to studying C1 and C2. Because I sat my GCSE in maths alongside my A level (just for the sake of completion and keeping my college happy) I didn't actually do GCSE lessons and my maths teacher put me in for the intermediate tier exam so I didn't get caught up in thinking about my GCSE rather than my A level. I ended up with a C at GCSE but managed to get an A at AS and then an A at A2 level.

What I would suggest to you is to get yourself a revision guide (I always used CGP) if you don't already have one, because sometimes a night self-studying a topic in a revision guide can set something in your mind more than sitting in a class full of other students can. I think the CGP books are really good at explaining algebraic concepts, simultaneous equations, and completing the square amongst other topics (although obviously everyone learns differently, so I'm not saying this will definitely be perfect for you). It helps to do the worked examples on paper just to make sure you can follow along with the concepts being explained to you and then do the sample exam questions at the end of each topic (which are worked through in the mark scheme at the back of the book if the books are still set out the way they were when I used them). If you can't get to an answer yourself just work backwards from the answer in the book and that should help you figure out how to get there in future.

Once you have a handle on the topics doing past papers, as mentioned above, is the best way to improve your grade.
    Wow! Congratulations on getting those A grades!! What was your revision/studying technique? or did you literally just use the CGP books?

ReputationRep:
    Wow! Congratulations on getting those A grades!! What was your revision/studying technique? or did you literally just use the CGP books?
    I literally just used the books and focussed on whatever topics I felt I needed to focus on. Just make sure you do some past papers, or the past paper style questions in the revision guide, so you know that you can apply your knowledge to exam questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mscaffrey)
    I literally just used the books and focussed on whatever topics I felt I needed to focus on. Just make sure you do some past papers, or the past paper style questions in the revision guide, so you know that you can apply your knowledge to exam questions.
    Yeah I think I need to work on things that I'm not so confident on instead of wasting a lot of time on things I already know tbh! Thank you so much!

ReputationRep:
    How did you revise maths for your GCSE? I really want to take maths for A level to o.

ReputationRep:
    Just nail your revision and you should be fine : )

Take it from me,
    I was in 3rd set maths for GCSE and was predicted a C grade but ending up achieving an A* through pure perseverance and determination. I had to teach myself some content because some higher stuff wasn't taught in my set, but it paid off.

Despite getting A* in GCSE, I ended up finishing AS with a U in ALL MODULES.
    I didn't become complacent, I just got into a habit of working too much and my priorities were not what they should have been, so I completely bombed the whole year.

I know some people who achieved a B at GCSE and managed to get an A at AS level and A/A* at A-level.

Don't be put off just because you received a B. It may mean that you have to put a little more work in than other people, but so long as you keep on top of things, you shouldn't have a problem coping with the work or achieving the best grade possible

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.