mistel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hi,

What are the characteristics of the Genetic Code?

It says in my book,

- Triplet Code

- Degenerate Code

- Wide Spread but not universal

Could some one explain these points as these may specifically be needed for the exam board.

Thanks a lot!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this.

Why not try posting in a specific subject forum- you might have more luck there.

Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses.

SANTR
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mistel)
Hi,

What are the characteristics of the Genetic Code?

It says in my book,

- Triplet Code

- Degenerate Code

- Wide Spread but not universal

Could some one explain these points as these may specifically be needed for the exam board.

Thanks a lot!
A gene is a section of DNA, it is a sequence of bases. The sequence of bases produce a particular polypeptide (a protein prior to folding etc). The sequence of bases determine the sequence of amino acids which in turn turn determine the polypeptide produced. When an mRNA strand is attached to a ribosome, the base sequence is read in triplets i.e. ATC, GGT etc, one codon (Triplet of bases) codes for one amino acid.
The degenerate nature of the genetic code: it is the idea that there are multiple codons for the same amino acid, in other ATT and AGC can both potentially code for the same amino acid. There are only a limited number of amino acids, about 20 or so but 64 possible combinations of codons.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (81)
26.91%
No - I have already returned home (38)
12.62%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (60)
19.93%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (31)
10.3%
No - I live at home during term anyway (91)
30.23%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed