Turn on thread page Beta

Is Pansexuality fake? watch

ReputationRep:
    It simply describes attraction irrespective of genitalia, it makes perfect sense to have a term which describes those who are attracted to people who are intersex.

ReputationRep:
    in practice there's no difference between pansexuality and bisexuality.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah bit of soap and water will wash that away nicely for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bad Faith)
    Yeah, I know that.

The bold bit is exactly why some people choose to identify as pansexual. There might not be a difference in the genders they are attracted to but the concept of pansexuality is different. Gender fluid is not the only option besides male or female, there's agender for example and there are people who are gender nonconforming like myself.
    Gender fluid, agender and gender nonconformin are all synonyms. And the concept of pansexuality is not different, as I have highlighted in detail in my previous post. It is not a recognized as a sexual orientation (well it is - it is called bisexuality). There is nothing wrong with people saying they identify as it doesn't matter whether someone calls themselves bisexual or pansexual, it's just whenpeople start pretending the two aren't the same...

Obviously they are not strictly male or female. Intersex people have characteristics of both sexes but they do not fit into either box perfectly hence why they are intersex. Intersex people can have any gender identity, like I've said before.
    And unicorn? Seriously?
    So you say they are 'not stricly male or female' but then 'they can have any gender identity', so which one is it?

You were the one who said that gender fluid people aren't just strictly made up of female and male, so clearly they can be part unicorn? Or what else can they be aside from male and female?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Radman)
    It simply describes attraction irrespective of genitalia, it makes perfect sense to have a term which describes those who are attracted to people who are intersex.
    That's not what pansexuality means.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolakirk)
    That's not what pansexuality means.
    I'm trying to be progressive, be kind to me

ReputationRep:
    Gender fluid, agender and gender nonconformin are all synonyms. And the concept of pansexuality is not different, as I have highlighted in detail in my previous post. It is not a recognized as a sexual orientation (well it is - it is called bisexuality). There is nothing wrong with people saying they identify as it doesn't matter whether someone calls themselves bisexual or pansexual, it's just whenpeople start pretending the two aren't the same...

So you say they are 'not stricly male or female' but then 'they can have any gender identity', so which one is it?

You were the one who said that gender fluid people aren't just strictly made up of female and male, so clearly they can be part unicorn? Or what else can they be aside from male and female?
    How are gender fluidity and gender nonconformity the same thing? It is different, why was the term pansexuality even created, because obviously people felt that the term bisexuality excluded people who aren't male or female e.g. intersex or non-binary.
    There is a subtle difference between bisexuality and pansexuality. It just depends on how someone chooses to identify.

I said that they do not fit into the male or female sex categories, which is true. They can still have any gender identity they want. Gender =/= sex.

Someone is gender fluid because they aren't just male or female they fluctuate between the two, so it is different from being just male or just female. (In terms of gender).

Anyways, we are just going around in circles and it's getting late where I am, so goodnight.

ReputationRep:
    How are gender fluidity and gender nonconformity the same thing? It is different, why was the term pansexuality even created, because obviously people felt that the term bisexuality excluded people who aren't male or female e.g. intersex or non-binary.
    There is a subtle difference between bisexuality and pansexuality. It just depends on how someone chooses to identify.
    How are gender fluidity and gender noncomformity not the same thing? Are gender fluid people gender conforming accordin to you or what?

Just because people created the term 'pansexual' doesn't mean bisexuals and pansexuals are separate groups of people. The term was just invented as an 'updated' word to bisexuality, to give it more accuracy, but people are pretending it is a different sexuality altogether. There isn't a subtle difference between them, every bisexual is pansexual.

I said that they do not fit into the male or female sex categories, which is true. They can still have any gender identity they want. Gender =/= sex.
    No, that is not what you said. Up until a few minutes ago, you didn't even know what intersexuality meant.

Someone is gender fluid because they aren't just male or female they fluctuate between the two, so it is different from being just male or just female. (In terms of gender).

Anyways, we are just going around in circles and it's getting late where I am, so goodnight.
    Yeah, I think you better stop now because you just keep embarrassing yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Gender variance is like gender nonconformity, so not fitting into traditional notions of male or female.
    So the things aside from genderfluity, male, female both. aight then. I have learned a thing.

No-one is claiming that they are biologically not male or female (excluding intersex people of course) but rather they're saying that they do not fit into what we call male and female, gender is more than biology. Some people just don't feel that the label of male or female fits them.
    Anybody can fit into the label of male or female, given that those two options (+intersex etc) are what everybody is in terms of sex. People deciding that they don't fit a fairly universal label for everybody in the species ever sounds very.... what.You can claim this whole gender is more than biology thing, but in reality the only reason gender exists as a concept at all is because of biological stuff fam.[Quote]I guess you're referring to transgender people here. First of all, they do not decide to be something else. Transgender people feel a mismatch between their biological sex and their gender identity, so when they transition they haven't chosen to become a new person, they are transitioning into the body that they feel is right for them.I guess it's hard to understand when it's not you.[Quote]
    You are not telling me anything I didn't already know here. I may have worded something in a slightly incorrect way, it did not need a paragraph of explanation. Transgenderedness is something I can comprehend.

This thing you're trying to explain to me is still something I cannot particularly go with. So far it just sounds to me like a group of people unable to identify with humanity, which seems like a mental disorder that needs curing to be honest...

ReputationRep:
    How are gender fluidity and gender noncomformity not the same thing? Are gender fluid people gender conforming accordin to you or what?

Just because people created the term 'pansexual' doesn't mean bisexuals and pansexuals are separate groups of people. The term was just invented as an 'updated' word to bisexuality, to give it more accuracy, but people are pretending it is a different sexuality altogether. There isn't a subtle difference between them, every bisexual is pansexual.

No, that is not what you said. Up until a few minutes ago, you didn't even know what intersexuality meant.

Yeah, I think you better stop now because you just keep embarrassing yourself.

Well, they are different. As a gender nonconforming person I reject the whole idea of gender (that doesn't mean every gender nonconforming person thinks so too) but for a gender fluid person they fluctuate between different genders. I guess it just depends on what it means to someone.

I do know what intersex is, clearly you misunderstood me. I said they aren't strictly male or female (on the sex front) but can have any gender identity. Maybe I didn't make it clear enough that I meant sex.

Well, some bisexuals might be pansexuals but then again some bisexuals might still think that gender is a binary whereas no pansexual thinks that. Sure they overlap but there is a reason why pansexuals identify as such. You've said it yourself, pansexual is a more inclusive term instead of bisexual. So there's your difference.

Well, we're not going to agree here and so, I'm just gonna end this here. (lol if you think I'm embarrassed).

(Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    So the things aside from genderfluity, male, female both. aight then. I have learned a thing.

Anybody can fit into the label of male or female, given that those two options (+intersex etc) are what everybody is in terms of sex. People deciding that they don't fit a fairly universal label for everybody in the species ever sounds very.... what.You can claim this whole gender is more than biology thing, but in reality the only reason gender exists as a concept at all is because of biological stuff fam.

I guess you're referring to transgender people here. First of all, they do not decide to be something else. Transgender people feel a mismatch between their biological sex and their gender identity, so when they transition they haven't chosen to become a new person, they are transitioning into the body that they feel is right for them.I guess it's hard to understand when it's not you.

You are not telling me anything I didn't already know here. I may have worded something in a slightly incorrect way, it did not need a paragraph of explanation. Transgenderedness is something I can comprehend.

This thing you're trying to explain to me is still something I cannot particularly go with. So far it just sounds to me like a group of people unable to identify with humanity, which seems like a mental disorder that needs curing to be honest...
    Yes, but you're talking about sex. No-one is disputing that there are other sexes beside male, female or intersex. Gender identity is a different thing, sure in the past the whole idea of gender was based on biological differences but now we're moving away from that because look at trans people for example, they're gender identity doesn't match their biological sex so clearly it isn't that simple.

Sure, you don't have to agree with it. It's just how some people are.

ReputationRep:
    Deleted

(Original post by TheRealOutsider)
    Now, this is interesting. I noticed how several people say that Pansexuality is 'Fake'.
    No, it's not fake. It's what would would physiologically be called bisexuality, but extended to all the TG, GQ/GF folk who are hard enough to identify as to warrant being put into the basket of "everyone."

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 24, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.