Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm doing AS Maths and I know that exams are steadily approaching.

At the beginning of the year I was doing really well in maths but seem to just keep going down hill , from getting A's to D's

Has anyone got any revision tips or recommendations for me?

I'm really struggling at the moment and just doing past papers doesn't seem to be helping, I just keep getting more frustrated.

ReputationRep:
    Use the website examsolutions then do some past papers
    That will help you understand how to do the questions
    He also has videos of him going through past papers which is also really useful

(Original post by LarissaP)
    Hi I'm doing AS Maths and I know that exams are steadily approaching.

At the beginning of the year I was doing really well in maths but seem to just keep going down hill , from getting A's to D's

Has anyone got any revision tips or recommendations for me?

I'm really struggling at the moment and just doing past papers doesn't seem to be helping, I just keep getting more frustrated.
    I would say, identify the subjects you have an issue with and use the textbook examples and exercises to build your confidence in them.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Identify what it is about those past papers that causes you to lose marks. Is it excellent knowledge in some topics and no knowledge in other topics, or 'okay' at every topic but struggling to get extra marks? Or any other combination, identifying it is probably the first step.

I would suggest getting the textbook again and working through it, picking out medium/difficult questions and practicing those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheAlphaParticle)
    Use the website examsolutions then do some past papers
    That will help you understand how to do the questions
    He also has videos of him going through past papers which is also really useful
    Yeah I've been using that to go through the questions I've been getting wrong when Doug past papers. I think I'm going to look at his videos on individual topics first then attempt some questions on that topic and then go back to doing past papers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SeanFM)
    Identify what it is about those past papers that causes you to lose marks. Is it excellent knowledge in some topics and no knowledge in other topics, or 'okay' at every topic but struggling to get extra marks? Or any other combination, identifying it is probably the first step.

I would suggest getting the textbook again and working through it, picking out medium/difficult questions and practicing those.
    Thanks for the reply I think I'm going g chose a topic a night and do this and then work through some text book questions and then past paper questions. I think panic mode is starting to set in slightly as well when I do a past paper and can't do one question and this is knocking my confidence.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by LarissaP)
    Thanks for the reply I think I'm going g chose a topic a night and do this and then work through some text book questions and then past paper questions. I think panic mode is starting to set in slightly as well when I do a past paper and can't do one question and this is knocking my confidence.
    Good plan, just do things in chunks.

I know what it's like to be disappointed when you can't answer a question, and feel demotivated. But you just have to keep going and be thankful that you're making mistakes now and not later.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.