Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

The Japanese are afraid of bats! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Not really, but I thought some TSRians would appreciate this excerpt from a book I'm reading called The Agency (it's about the history of the CIA, it's used as the core text in a lot of national security studies masters degrees)

Donovan was not alone in the matter of concocting madcap schemes; President Roosevelt himself took top honors with an idea that the Japanese were afraid of bats. Instead of finding out from reliable sources whether or not this was true (it was not), Roosevelt instructed Donovan to develop a way to take advantage of this supposed national phobia.

For several years, COI and the then Office of Strategic Services cooperated with the Army Air Corps to catapult and parachute bats out of bombers flying over Japan. The experiments were ended only because the bats persisted in freezing to death at the high altitudes flown by the bombers
    Poor bats

ReputationRep:
    hahaha that's got to be fake surely, I could just imagine the looks of confusion on the Japanese faces seeing bombs defending and releasing a load of bats rather than a fireball to go the leader of a superpower nation could never have been that thick.

ReputationRep:
    Actually, in the spirit of that post I should share some of the other madcap animal schemes of World War 2.

There's the pigeon-guided missile (an American missile with pigeons in the nose to guide it to its target)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Pigeon

And the Soviet anti-tank explosive dog

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-tank_dog

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabalala)
    hahaha that's got to be fake surely to go the leader of a superpower nation could never have been that thick.
    It's in a very scholarly, academic tome about the CIA's history, I don't think it's fake.

Back then people had very strange race-based ideas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shabalala)
    hahaha that's got to be fake surely, I could just imagine the looks of confusion on the Japanese faces seeing bombs defending and releasing a load of bats rather than a fireball to go the leader of a superpower nation could never have been that thick.
    Actually, later in the book in a chapter exploring the CIA's MK-ULTRA programme in the 1960s (which tested different drugs and technology for their mind control potential, stuff like LSD and sedatives and hypnoses.. it wasn't particularly successful) a CIA officer called Victor Marchetti talks about how the CIA created a surveillance cat. I thought he must be pulling the author's leg, but actually the project documents were declassified in 2001, this really happened.

Victor Marchetti, who in the mid-1960s worked as special assistant to the director of Central Intelligence, recalled one guided-animal experiment; "One of the problems with an audio device in the wall or under the mat is that, like cameras, they take a picture of what they see and not what you see in your mind's eye. Human beings have a cochlea in our ears masking out noise, so we can have conversation at a cocktail party. But if you tape a cocktail party, you get all the noise and you can't make out conversations. So they worked on an audio device with the ability to mask out noise. Then theyh got this idea; let's stop trying to make a cochlea - let's use a real cochlea. Cats have cochleas. So if they wired up a cat, he could mask everything out. That's what they did. They trained him to listen to conversations and not listen to all the background noise.

A lot of money was spent. They slit the cat open, put batteries in him, wired him up. The tail was used as an antenna. They made a monstrosity. They tested him and tested him. They found he would walk off the job when he got hungry, so they put another wire in to override that. Finally they're ready. They took it out to a park and pointed it at a park bench and said, 'Listen to those two guys. Don't listen to anything else - not the birds, no cat or dog - just those two guys'. They puyt him out of the van, and a taxi comes and runs him over. There they were, sitting in the van with all those dials, and the cat was dead!
    As I said, it sounds completely made up but the documents were declassified in 2001

ReputationRep:
    The bats was a real thing.

They also planned to use them against aircraft carriers at sea.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.