Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum so if this is in the wrong place I'm sorry!!

I have an internship at an investment bank this summer, in the operations department. Does anyone have any insight as to how I can prepare for this? I doing maths at uni so am not very knowledgeable with regards to finance (I think previous work experience and a full CV helped get me the internship!). Or would you guys say that it doesn't matter that I do maths, and would be taught everything upon arrival?

I believe we get a couple of days training in our first week but I'm concerned I'll know nothing in comparison to the other interns :s

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stommo75)
    Hi all, I'm new to the forum so if this is in the wrong place I'm sorry!!

I have an internship at an investment bank this summer, in the operations department. Does anyone have any insight as to how I can prepare for this? I doing maths at uni so am not very knowledgeable with regards to finance (I think previous work experience and a full CV helped get me the internship!). Or would you guys say that it doesn't matter that I do maths, and would be taught everything upon arrival?

I believe we get a couple of days training in our first week but I'm concerned I'll know nothing in comparison to the other interns :s

thanks!
    You'll be fine. Don't worry too much, in Operations, It all depends on what team you end up in. If they didn't think you're not good enough they wouldn't have given you an offer in the first place. It doesn't matter that you study maths and I don't think they care so much regarding what you study.

The main focus is on you and what skills you can bring to the team you're assigned, so all interns are all in the same boat. There's a lag between what you study and what you actually learn while working/interning so its fine if you're not from Finance background. In operations, you might be put in a project based or client /trade support or risk reporting teams but this depends where you're interning at.

Your internship is to test if you're good enough and can return as a graduate. Just work hard and ask for work if you don't have much to do. Be nice to people and try to get to know your team but don't force relationships just for the sake of it.

Ask questions when you don't understand things. Its better to ask and get it right than to guess and mess up the work repeatedly, and throw your full time offer out the window. Good luck.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Not has any experience in finance in particular, but from internships I've done (science/ engineering) I found the best thing to do was just to email the contact Id been given in my team and ask their advice - they usually replied with some suggested reading and topics to get clued up on Also helps to show you are enthusiastic if you ask them for this advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.