Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Anyone?

ReputationRep:
    FLASH CARDS AND MINDMAPS FOR GCSE.
    You have 2 weeks to complete some extra revision , see below.
    DO : Create a list of goals that you wish to achieve by the end of the Easter holidays
    DO : Complete a past paper, pick out areas where you can improve and create a flash card for it. Few days later complete a question on this area again and see if you understand it now. Seeing this improvement can often motivate people.
    DO : Think about the reward ! Imagine exceeding all your target grades and completing the A - Levels/BTEC/Apprenticeship course you want

DO NOT : Read, highlight and copy out pages and pages from a textbook, this is passive revision and you will not remember it
    DO NOT : Sit there all Easter thinking about your GCSE's (easier said than done, i know) as this will only worry you. Actually get started which is the hardest part about any revision.

Remember, despite you having exams just weeks after you go back, take a break and give your mind a rest.
    Hope this helps,
    Lee
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lee1999wright)
    FLASH CARDS AND MINDMAPS FOR GCSE.
    You have 2 weeks to complete some extra revision , see below.
    DO : Create a list of goals that you wish to achieve by the end of the Easter holidays
    DO : Complete a past paper, pick out areas where you can improve and create a flash card for it. Few days later complete a question on this area again and see if you understand it now. Seeing this improvement can often motivate people.
    DO : Think about the reward ! Imagine exceeding all your target grades and completing the A - Levels/BTEC/Apprenticeship course you want

DO NOT : Read, highlight and copy out pages and pages from a textbook, this is passive revision and you will not remember it
    DO NOT : Sit there all Easter thinking about your GCSE's (easier said than done, i know) as this will only worry you. Actually get started which is the hardest part about any revision.

Remember, despite you having exams just weeks after you go back, take a break and give your mind a rest.
    Hope this helps,
    Lee
    Thank you so much for your advice
    This has actually motivated me
    When you say past papers do you mean doing them under exam conditions or with text books and etc..

ReputationRep:
    Flashcards are so helpful for GCSE and MINDMAPS!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nisha.sri)
    Thank you so much for your advice
    This has actually motivated me
    When you say past papers do you mean doing them under exam conditions or with text books and etc..
    I would suggest trying them first time in exam conditions. If you do not understand a certain section, read up on it, make a flash card on the topic. Try a similar question the next day. Seeing this improvement should motivate you.
    All the best, glad to hear your motivated
    Lee
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I would suggest trying them first time in exam conditions. If you do not understand a certain section, read up on it, make a flash card on the topic. Try a similar question the next day. Seeing this improvement should motivate you.
    All the best, glad to hear your motivated
    Lee
    Great I will try this x
    Thank you and are you currently doing your gcse's

ReputationRep:
    > Past papers under exam conditions are a good start, even if you know there are gaps in your knowledge it will show you more clearly where those gaps are. Then you can focus your revision more in addition to learning what is typically on papers.

> I find writing out Concentrated, Short and Useful notes to be good for retaining the information to write down but also a useful resource to glance at if you forget it again. Don't write down everything in the text book, just key stuff and things you don't know well.

>Don't just memorise the facts/formulae. Understand them so if (more likely, when) they put in an unusual question you can use your understanding to deal with it, rather than having no idea because you don't actually understand the subject, you have just memorised the facts.

>Realise that GCSE are not the only way people will assess you. A levels are typically a better measure of someones skills which is why they carry more weight. Not that GCSEs are not important,but a lot of people think if they mess them up it will be the end of their lives...

Ultimately, its good revision and commitment of time that gets the good grades. It will be worth it on results day. But remember, when you open your results don't be too hard on yourself if you don't get what you expect, a lot of people don't.

ReputationRep:
    I like reading a chapter of my revision guide then doing all the end of chapter questions without peeking at the pages then I read back what I haven't learnt!
    Also I do past papers with my books as you need to LEARN not TEST YOUSELF so this early just testing and not learning won't help your grade!

ReputationRep:
    Great I will try this x
    Thank you and are you currently doing your gcse's
    Currently studying for my AS exams just a few weeks after Easter
    Good Luck !
    Lee x
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Barney6262)
    > Past papers under exam conditions are a good start, even if you know there are gaps in your knowledge it will show you more clearly where those gaps are. Then you can focus your revision more in addition to learning what is typically on papers.

> I find writing out Concentrated, Short and Useful notes to be good for retaining the information to write down but also a useful resource to glance at if you forget it again. Don't write down everything in the text book, just key stuff and things you don't know well.

>Don't just memorise the facts/formulae. Understand them so if (more likely, when) they put in an unusual question you can use your understanding to deal with it, rather than having no idea because you don't actually understand the subject, you have just memorised the facts.

>Realise that GCSE are not the only way people will assess you. A levels are typically a better measure of someones skills which is why they carry more weight. Not that GCSEs are not important,but a lot of people think if they mess them up it will be the end of their lives...

Ultimately, its good revision and commitment of time that gets the good grades. It will be worth it on results day. But remember, when you open your results don't be too hard on yourself if you don't get what you expect, a lot of people don't.
    Thanks for the advice I just don't get motivated and that really angers me
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Currently studying for my AS exams just a few weeks after Easter
    Good Luck !
    Lee x
    Oh right, Thank you and you too
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by eviebrizzle)
    I like reading a chapter of my revision guide then doing all the end of chapter questions without peeking at the pages then I read back what I haven't learnt!
    Also I do past papers with my books as you need to LEARN not TEST YOUSELF so this early just testing and not learning won't help your grade!
    Oh ok Thanks for your advice

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice I just don't get motivated and that really angers me
    I also struggle with motivation. Often say I want to do 2 past papers today and end up not doing anything.

Hardest bit is starting. Once I start doing the paper with nothing to distract I find I don't get bored. It's when I start and have something to distract nearby, I get bored and just do something else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie0497)
    Flashcards are so helpful for GCSE and MINDMAPS!
    When you do mind maps should they be things all from memory or should you have a book open at the same time and be copying? Or is it both? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Barney6262)
    I also struggle with motivation. Often say I want to do 2 past papers today and end up not doing anything.

Hardest bit is starting. Once I start doing the paper with nothing to distract I find I don't get bored. It's when I start and have something to distract nearby, I get bored and just do something else.
    Same I mean sometimes i will be motivated other time i'm just like meh

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok Thanks for your advice
    thats alright! doing my GCSE's this year hope you do well
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    thats alright! doing my GCSE's this year hope you do well
    How is your revision and how long do you revise for?!
    Good luck and thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zarrii)
    When you do mind maps should they be things all from memory or should you have a book open at the same time and be copying? Or is it both? X

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Read the information on the book then summarise it using your own words without looking at the book then you won't be copying information from the book. Use different colours too do differentiate different information etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellie0497)
    Read the information on the book then summarise it using your own words without looking at the book then you won't be copying information from the book. Use different colours too do differentiate different information etc.
    Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    i understand but isn't it better to identify your weaknesses to revise, rather than just think you know the material by doing past papers with books instead. i mean you might think you understand it even if you don't

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.