Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello Everyone,

I would like to study PPE at Oxford and wanted to get some advice.

I've recently been given a report and have been informed by my teachers that this is what I will realistically achieve in my GCSEs:

Maths A ( possibly an A star )
    Biology A star
    Physics A star
    English lit A star
    English Lang A star
    French A star
    Drama A
    Business A star
    History A star

So if worst comes to worst I'll definitely have 5 A stars and 4 As. This is the worst combination of grades I would possibly get. This is basically what I would get if I don't revise much.

For A level I will be studying History, Economics, English Lit and Politics.
    I will NOT be changing these subjects and will NOT be taking Maths as I would only like to study subjects that I thoroughly enjoy.

So the question is...Are my worst possible GCSE grades good enough for PPE ( 5A* 4A ) ?

ReputationRep:
    I go to a normal secondary school.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786)
    I go to a normal secondary school.
    I think Fullofsurprises read PPE ask her about it. As far as I know the GCSEs you have predicted would be good enough. Why do you want to study PPE?

ReputationRep:
    Provided that I get As in all of my A levels will these A levels strengthen my application to Oxford as I am aware that Maths is favoured ? However, so is History and I am going to study that. Will not studying Maths weaken my application to a great extent. I would love to hear from PPE applicants that didn't study Maths at A level. Much appreciated.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    I think Fullofsurprises read PPE ask her about it.
    I'll pm this user. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'll pm this user. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    However, it would still be great to hear from a wider audience.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Preferably from recent applicants who have been successful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    I think Fullofsurprises read PPE ask her about it. As far as I know the GCSEs you have predicted would be good enough. Why do you want to study PPE?
    It's a degree that I've always had an interest in due to my desire of entering the world of politics. PPE is a degree that is studied by most politicians.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    When you say the grades that I have been predicted. Are you referring to the 5A* 4A or 8A* 1A ? Of course I'm aiming for the latter but knowing that my worst effort would be good enough is quite pleasing to say the least.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    When you say the grades that I have been predicted. Are you referring to the 5A* 4A or 8A* 1A ? Of course I'm aiming for the latter but knowing that my worst effort would be good enough is quite pleasing to say the least.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I think that depends on the other candidates PPE is notoriously competitive with candidates cherry picked for their academic ability and future potential. 5A*s is better than none from what you've posted previously your going to get 7 or 8 A*s which is plenty.

ReputationRep:
    So I would still have a fighting chance even with 5 A*?I know someone that got accepted into Oxford this year for engineering with 7 A* and 3 A. Engineering is more competitive than PPE ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to hear what GCSEs successful applicants for PPE received. The latest accepted applicants the better.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    So I would still have a fighting chance even with 5 A*?I know someone that got accepted into Oxford this year for engineering with 7 A* and 3 A. Engineering is more competitive than PPE ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You would have a fighting chance if your personal statement and references are good. I think PPE is probably the most competitive course in Oxford. You should look for the stats you're after on the Oxford website.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    You would have a fighting chance if your personal statement and references are good. I think PPE is probably the most competitive course in Oxford. You should look for the stats you're after on the Oxford website.
    Maybe I was wrong. 😂😂😂 It is quite competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Maybe I was wrong. 😂😂😂 It is quite competitive.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you stand as good a chance as anyone just smash the interview get an outstanding PS together try your hardest in your A levels and really go for it! :qed:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    No you stand as good a chance as anyone just smash the interview get an outstanding PS together try your hardest in your A levels and really go for it! :qed:
    Don't you worry. I want to study PPE at Oxford more than anything. I will bust my balls getting there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Thanks for reassuring me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Don't you worry. I want to study PPE at Oxford more than anything. I will bust my balls getting there.

Posted from TSR Mobile

What do you read? can I suggest two books for you, Adam Smith's - Wealth of Nations and Karl Marx - Das Kapital vol 1? Both really good starting books about how the two main economic models of the world operate. I don't want to waste your time but there really aren't any two more influential books on economics.

ReputationRep:
    I'll be sure to read those. I've got 2 weeks worth of holidays now.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I've seen wealth of nations on my father's bookshelf somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.