Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MR.ANONYMOUS 786)
    Thanks for reassuring me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Its ok I just know its possible. You have to be realistic though and realise someone in your year is probably going to be PM one day.

ReputationRep:
    May I ask what you study at Oxford and what GCSEs you got ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure I've seen wealth of nations on my father's bookshelf somewhere.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Read it for sure if its there start tonight and really get into it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Its ok I just know its possible. You have to be realistic though and realise someone in your year is probably going to be PM one day.
    Of course. Completely understandable. Not that I would like to enter politics in this nation. Although I will definitely try.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Read it for sure if its there start tonight and really get into it.
    Definitely. Thanks. Have you read a book called Prince.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    May I ask what you study at Oxford and what GCSEs you got ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I study with the dept for cont ed Art History. I didn't get any GCSEs. This is the course I'm doing. https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/online/ the servers down at the moment but you'll be able to take a look tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely. Thanks. Have you read a book called Prince.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    by machiavelli yes I have its a good book.

ReputationRep:
    Of course. Completely understandable. Not that I would like to enter politics in this nation. Although I will definitely try.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What country would you like to enter into politics ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    What country would you like to enter into politics ?
    I would like to enter politics into Pakistan. Where my grandparents are from. However, I did have work experience with a shadow minister last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the Pakistani cricketer Imran Khan will ring a few bells. He has entered into politics as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would like to enter politics into Pakistan. Where my grandparents are from. However, I did have work experience with a shadow minister last year.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Cool My ancestral cousin was Sir Francis Corfield He was the top civil servant in India at the time of the separation from Pakistan.
    What was it like working so close to a politician? What did you do all day?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the Pakistani cricketer Imran Khan will ring a few bells. He has entered into politics as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    LoL Of course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Cool My ancestral cousin was Sir Francis Corfield He was the top civil servant in India at the time of the separation of Pakistan.
    It was very interesting. I worked with him on a campaign that recently came on tv. I can't remember the name of the campaign at the moment. There was a lot of walking because I went to meet other MPs and ministers and discuss the campaign.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Cool My ancestral cousin was Sir Francis Corfield He was the top civil servant in India at the time of the separation from Pakistan.
    That's very interesting. We're descendants of the first Mughal emperor. He was a descendant of Ghenghis Khan.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It was very interesting. I worked with him on a campaign that recently came on tv. I can't remember the name of the campaign at the moment. There was a lot of walking because I went to meet other MPs and ministers and discuss the campaign.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sounds interesting.

ReputationRep:
    That's very interesting. We're descendants of the first Mughal emperor. He was a descendant of Ghenghis Khan.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    WoW thats cool.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    I study with the dept for cont ed Art History. I didn't get any GCSEs. This is the course I'm doing. https://www.conted.ox.ac.uk/courses/online/ the servers down at the moment but you'll be able to take a look tomorrow.
    Ah. Did you do O levels or another form of qualification ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ah. Did you do O levels or another form of qualification ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

To do the course you don't need qualifications I did a foundation course for architecture and did architecture at university after that and previous to the course I'm doing now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    To do the course you don't need qualifications I did a foundation course for architecture and did architecture at university after that and previous to the course I'm doing now.
    Ooooooh. Ok. Interesting.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a PPE applicant, but, having been through the whole process, I know that plenty of people get in with far from perfect grades. Plenty without straight As at AS, and with less than five A*s. Of course the better your results are, the better your application will be. But there's quite a few misconceptions about what you need to get in. At interviews I also met a second year PPEist, who didn't have maths A level. So they are clearly not as strict on that as, say, LSE.

But also, for what it's worth, I think it's good to get away from a fixed idea of what you want to do. Boss your GCSEs, and then read. Basically just follow your interests. You might still want to go into Pakistani politics and read PPE, but be open minded and read, read, read. I think what they like at interviews is somebody who has found a niche that really interests them, and you'll probably find that in your AS year. I reckon it's that kind of stuff that makes you stand out, rather than having three or four more GCSE A*s than the person they just interviewed.

And; incidentally, I am halfway through doing exactly the same A levels as you have chosen. I was originally thinking of PPE, and changed to History and Politics.

University open days

1. University of Oxford
    All undergraduate colleges and departments Undergraduate
    Fri, 14 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.