Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've received a place for illustration at falmouth university, it's the perfect place for me, i love the uni and the course but i'm from yorkshire an it is a huge distance to travel, has anyone from yorkshire gone to falmouth and how did you find the move and distance?

ReputationRep:
    It's not quite Yorkshire but i'm moving from Stoke to Falmouth to do Illustration too! It's a 370 mile journey for me by car but I think if you love the uni and the course you should definitely go for it. I'm planning on travelling backwards and forwards between holidays via flight (if you book in advance you can fly from Manchester to Newquay for £30). The only real travelling we'll have to do is moving our stuff back and forth when moving in and out. We drove down to my interview which took around eight hours as we avoided motorways, but the drive is actually really nice: you go through moorlands and it's littered with service stations to get out and have a walk about in. It's a little bit of a pain but you'll only have to do it twice at a stretch. It's worth it for what a gorgeous place Falmouth is!

Distance isn't that much of an issue if you think about it. You can always skype/facetime home when you're homesick, and it's only three years out of your entire life. Falmouth and Cornwall in general are amazing places for art, and there's a lot of industry links within the university. If you love the uni/course so much you'll probably regret not taking it up as an opportunity, so i'd go for it!

It does depend on how often you want to see your family though. I'm planning on flying back at least once every two months (but, most students find they don't go home as much as they thought they would) so distance isn't too much of a problem for me. I think moving would be as difficult as any university, it just involves a longer journey. If you don't want to do the drive at once you could always book a hotel halfway and relax there for a while, then do the rest of the journey the next day. (we did that at Warminster [a town near bristol] on the way back from my interview). One of my friends went from Cheshire to Belfast and she says it's the best decision she's ever made - she has to get a ferry and a long train whenever she wants to go home!

I think you should go for it. If you find the distance is too much you can just transfer next year to another uni which is a lot more practical.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexandra~)
    It's not quite Yorkshire but i'm moving from Stoke to Falmouth to do Illustration too! It's a 370 mile journey for me by car but I think if you love the uni and the course you should definitely go for it. I'm planning on travelling backwards and forwards between holidays via flight (if you book in advance you can fly from Manchester to Newquay for £30). The only real travelling we'll have to do is moving our stuff back and forth when moving in and out. We drove down to my interview which took around eight hours as we avoided motorways, but the drive is actually really nice: you go through moorlands and it's littered with service stations to get out and have a walk about in. It's a little bit of a pain but you'll only have to do it twice at a stretch. It's worth it for what a gorgeous place Falmouth is!

Distance isn't that much of an issue if you think about it. You can always skype/facetime home when you're homesick, and it's only three years out of your entire life. Falmouth and Cornwall in general are amazing places for art, and there's a lot of industry links within the university. If you love the uni/course so much you'll probably regret not taking it up as an opportunity, so i'd go for it!

It does depend on how often you want to see your family though. I'm planning on flying back at least once every two months (but, most students find they don't go home as much as they thought they would) so distance isn't too much of a problem for me. I think moving would be as difficult as any university, it just involves a longer journey. If you don't want to do the drive at once you could always book a hotel halfway and relax there for a while, then do the rest of the journey the next day. (we did that at Warminster [a town near bristol] on the way back from my interview). One of my friends went from Cheshire to Belfast and she says it's the best decision she's ever made - she has to get a ferry and a long train whenever she wants to go home!

I think you should go for it. If you find the distance is too much you can just transfer next year to another uni which is a lot more practical.

Thanks! I think i am going to go to falmouth after all, its such a lovely place! I'm just going to have to make sure i put some money aside for travel haha

University open days

• Falmouth University
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Oct '18
  • Falmouth University
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.