Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If you're interested in keeping doors as widely (basically, if IB interest you - they're more targeted) open as possible, go for LSE/UCL.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with any of these. I saw a lot of Durham guys/gals at Clifford Chance, don'y know if they particularly love Durham grads or if the cohort of trainees from Durham was particularly strong in that recruitment cycle. But yeah, if costs are an issue Durham will still set you up nicely for any career you want - even IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by blackbluegreen)
    If you want to join a city law firm in London, it won't matter which of these three you attend.

But globally, there is no doubt - the London universities are far more reputable than Durham.

Between UCL v LSE - I haven't decided either, but leaning towards LSE. One reason to choose LSE is that it is generally assumed that LSE is more competitive to gain admission. I imagine there are more LSE rejects at UCL than the other way around.
    I really hate the global argument. Do you really think an established lawyer looking to transfer to a different firm but has a degree from Durham, would be denied a spot in a foreign firm (assuming they'd be working under similar legislation)? The global argument is beyond moot and is only used when applicants want to feel good about themselves.

Look, whichever top UK school you go to WILL have have been represented overseas before in the jobs/places that matter (PhD, top tier jobs like consulting, banking, law etc), so just choose whichever you'd prefer going to at the end of the day. It's really that simple. Anything else would be an unnecessary ego comparison contest.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If you work in international law/INGO/arbitration or anything else which depends on global reputation of alma mater, it could have an impact. I have lived, studied in a number of countries in Europe and US. UCL/LSE are globally recognised. Durham is hardly known. I find it surprising considering Durham's reputation within the UK, but it seems globally even KCL/Queen Mary are more recognised than Durham.

It could also matters when you are self-employed (as a barrister, for example). Clients wish to instruct counsel who have stellar academic credentials (hence chambers placing academic credentials high up on profiles and this being the main criteria for pupil recruitment). If you have foreign clients, they may not be as impressed with a Durham degree as one from UCL/LSE,

As I said, if you wish to apply for a TC at magic/silver circle firms; Durham/LSE/UCL will be seen exactly the same - it will make no difference at all. But I don't think global reputation is irrelevant for those who wish to work now or in the distant future work in fields which involve foreign clients, firms or institutions.
    - Again, at that point your alma mater's reputation is diminished and your experience as an 'international lawyer' (which, you can't become until you've qualified as a lawyer) is largely what matters. I 100% guarantee you that there will be Durham graduates working in NGOs (in fact, just take a glance at LinkedIn), and the UN. My point is, not to get hung up about this stuff. There will have been graduates, provided the university is top notch, all over the globe in various roles

- I'd be concerned if a client was picking their lawyers based on university name brand alone and not their track record of success of prior cases

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    If you're interested in keeping doors as widely (basically, if IB interest you - they're more targeted) open as possible, go for LSE/UCL.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with any of these. I saw a lot of Durham guys/gals at Clifford Chance, don'y know if they particularly love Durham grads or if the cohort of trainees from Durham was particularly strong in that recruitment cycle. But yeah, if costs are an issue Durham will still set you up nicely for any career you want - even IB.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Hi, think I'm going to go with lse for the main reason of keeping as many doors open as possible in the future. Although again i wonder how much better lse does this than ucl (in ib particularly)
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by guest115)
    Hi, think I'm going to go with lse for the main reason of keeping as many doors open as possible in the future. Although again i wonder how much better lse does this than ucl (in ib particularly)
    Not much better, you'll see pretty similar numbers from each if you manage to land a gig in IB. LSE's a good choice though; as long as you're happy with your decision!

ReputationRep:
    Not much better, you'll see pretty similar numbers from each if you manage to land a gig in IB. LSE's a good choice though; as long as you're happy with your decision!
    I suppose you have to go by the slightest margins if you don't distinctly prefer one over the other, will give it a couple of weeks but the story seems the same. LSE slightly better reputation, UCL slightly better social life.

Thanks for your posts in this thread, Its much appreciated
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by guest115)
    I suppose you have to go by the slightest margins if you don't distinctly prefer one over the other, will give it a couple of weeks but the story seems the same. LSE slightly better reputation, UCL slightly better social life.

Thanks for your posts in this thread, Its much appreciated
    That's the main issue with sites like TSR, people overemphasise these slim margins between top notch universities. Mostly out of their own vested interests (i.e. they study at the university or have offers there), so you really have to take what you get here with a grain of salt.

Good luck deciding.

ReputationRep:
    That's the main issue with sites like TSR, people overemphasise these slim margins between top notch universities. Mostly out of their own vested interests (i.e. they study at the university or have offers there), so you really have to take what you get here with a grain of salt.

Good luck deciding.
    Yep they sure do
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't wish to have a dig at you, but OP should note that you have not yet started university and in any case you will start a degree in Computer Science at Durham this autumn.

TSR is largely comprised of A Level students. If you seek opinions, you will get the opinions of people who haven't yet started university. Are they in any better position than OP? I'm sure it is nice to hear the opinions of peers, but it is of limited use.

I say do your own research (the internet is a powerful tool), visit universities and cities, speak to academics and practitioners etc. This will provide more reliable information than asking a bunch of teenagers on the internet about their opinions.

TSR is often a case of the blind leading the blind.
    You can have a dig if you want, but I didn't apply to Durham..

Also any information I post on here is from speaking to various professionals, and observing my friends currently at university (in terms of their career development), as well as years upon years of career research. It's very easy to dismiss someone by saying they've had 0 experience of what advice they're dishing out when you, yourself don't know anything about said person (which you just evidenced with your first comment). So thanks, but I can also point to quite literally dozens of people that have done well for themselves (landed internships and grad jobs) because of my advice - I don't take too kindly towards it being dismissed so frivolously.

I do agree with your post, but I don't know why you took the opportunity before it to incorrectly throw in a pot shot.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Apologies, these are your offers:

UCAS choices 2016:
    Oxford (St Anne's) - Computer Science
    UCL - Mathematical Computation (Offer: A*AA)
    Warwick - Data Science (Offer: A*AA or AAA + 2 in STEP)
    Bristol - Maths and Computer Science
    Nottingham - Data Science (Offer: A*AA)

The point still stands. This is an important disclosure. If I was the OP I would do my own research, asking peers is helpful if peers can point you to other more authoritative sources.
    Thanks for the advice, I've done so much own research and I've found that its pretty hard to substantially differentiate between ucl and lse for law in any measurable way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supersaps)
    I have no idea where you got the idea that Durham is worse than UCL and LSE for law. It's above both of them in the league tables and the law school at Durham is very very reputable.
    Did/do you go to Durham?

ReputationRep:
    It isn't as simple as being in a university with a big name - a contributing factor, for sure. But going to LSE or UCL doesn't mean getting a job for sure.I am on a gap year and have interned in PwC's legal and corporate wings and I have found more Durham graduates than LSE or UCL. In fact during my interview when I told them I had gotten an offer from Durham, they told me the legal and corporate sectors were full of Durham graduates. (PwC gets 391 applications per place)

The international reputation aspect, however could be true. If you're looking to work at a Law firm IN the UK, Durham has the most graduates in top law firms within the UK, and you can find these statistics online. Also, I have a friend who graduated from Durham with a PPE degree, who is now at Goldman Sachs.

Of course, if your desire is to be able to tell people abroad that you went to a London university, in order to get gasps/plaudits/nods of approval go for LSE or UCL.

To conclude, it isn't as black and white as being indicated on this thread. If you choose a university based on your ego, you could be depressed for three years. However if you actually, genuinely prefer a university based on happiness and atmosphere, your ego may take a hit, but you will be happy. What you do during university is equally important, you won't get a job based on the name of the university alone.

P.S This isn't to persuade you to choose Durham, this is to persuade you to listen to your gut.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AunAb)
    It isn't as simple as being in a university with a big name - a contributing factor, for sure. But going to LSE or UCL doesn't mean getting a job for sure.I am on a gap year and have interned in PwC's legal and corporate wings and I have found more Durham graduates than LSE or UCL. In fact during my interview when I told them I had gotten an offer from Durham, they told me the legal and corporate sectors were full of Durham graduates. (PwC gets 391 applications per place)

The international reputation aspect, however could be true. If you're looking to work at a Law firm IN the UK, Durham has the most graduates in top law firms within the UK, and you can find these statistics online. Also, I have a friend who graduated from Durham with a PPE degree, who is now at Goldman Sachs.

Of course, if your desire is to be able to tell people abroad that you went to a London university, in order to get gasps/plaudits/nods of approval go for LSE or UCL.

To conclude, it isn't as black and white as being indicated on this thread. If you choose a university based on your ego, you could be depressed for three years. However if you actually, genuinely prefer a university based on happiness and atmosphere, your ego may take a hit, but you will be happy. What you do during university is equally important, you won't get a job based on the name of the university alone.

P.S This isn't to persuade you to choose Durham, this is to persuade you to listen to your gut.
    Someone who knows what they're talking about right here! Ego, and wanting praise for your alma mater should not take front seat to a genuine, well-informed preference.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AunAb)

Thank you, you're actually right about the ego aspect. Haven't really thought about it beyond my subconscious but now you mention it I think its definitely been an influence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AunAb)
    If you're looking to work at a Law firm IN the UK, Durham has the most graduates in top law firms within the UK, and you can find these statistics online.
    This is certainly not true for US law firms, in my experience.

Also, I assume you mean out of LSE, UCL and Durham - not all universities.

But I think you are right re: MC/SC firms. I wonder, however, TWE that is due to the higher proportion of international students at the London universities (than at Durham), as many will return once they graduate meaning that the number of law grads entering the UK job market from LSE/UCL could be lower than that of Durham.

FWIW, I do not study at any of the three universities, so have no particular biases. OP should choose the university he prefers and thus is best placed to thrive at. However, for me personally, I believe UCL strikes a good balance of social life and prestige (/reputation).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christ Redeems)
    This is certainly not true for US law firms, in my experience.

Also, I assume you mean out of LSE, UCL and Durham - not all universities.

But I think you are right re: MC/SC firms. I wonder, however, TWE that is due to the higher proportion of international students at the London universities (than at Durham), as many will return once they graduate meaning that the number of law grads entering the UK job market from LSE/UCL could be lower than that of Durham.

FWIW, I do not study at any of the three universities, so have no particular biases. OP should choose the university he prefers and thus is best placed to thrive at. However, for me personally, I believe UCL strikes a good balance of social life and prestige (/reputation).
    Apologies, I did mean out of the three universities. Here is a useful link:

http://www.chambersstudent.co.uk/whe...d-universities

Nevertheless, your point about international students is valid. However, I still don't think that UCL or LSE students would be prioritized above Durham graduates.

The link also clarifies the position of Durham with regards to American firms.

ReputationRep:
    I am speaking from my experiences reference conversations with people in the law world about Durham being a top uni for law firms.

I accept you may have different ones. These are mine.

(Original post by Supersaps)
    I am speaking from my experiences reference conversations with people in the law world about Durham being a top uni for law firms.

I accept you may have different ones. These are mine.
    Yes I agree I would say Durham

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.