Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    So in a few weeks time I'm going to Brazil for a Portuguese practice course in order to prepare for my Portuguese exams. I'll have weekends and evenings off (doing around 09:00-13:00 each weekday) and wondered what you guys would recommend I do? Anywhere you think I should visit? Looking forward to hearing some suggestions

EDIT: I'll be staying in Rio de Janeiro

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    Hi guys,
    So in a few weeks time I'm going to Brazil for a Portuguese practice course in order to prepare for my Portuguese exams. I'll have weekends and evenings off (doing around 09:00-13:00 each weekday) and wondered what you guys would recommend I do? Anywhere you think I should visit? Looking forward to hearing some suggestions

EDIT: I'll be staying in Rio de Janeiro
    Hey bebs!

Defo go to Copacabana beach and try some of the street food. I saw this one guy who served mango and guava ice cream and it was soo good.

And visit the Christ statue. In that area though, be careful about the pickpockets

ReputationRep:
    Take a picture with the Cristo Redentor.

ReputationRep:
    I was supposed to be going to Brasil/Argentina this summer but can't get the time off! I'm jealous of you.

Have a look at travelwiki and TripAdvisor, it has some cool things to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
    Hey bebs!

Defo go to Copacabana beach and try some of the street food. I saw this one guy who served mango and guava ice cream and it was soo good.

And visit the Christ statue. In that area though, be careful about the pickpockets
    Thanks! I'm actually staying in Copacabana so the beach will definitely be a must! I'll visit the Christ statue too, and thank you for the tip

(Original post by Mayhem™)
    Take a picture with the Cristo Redentor.
    Will do, thanks! Definitely a must in Rio!

(Original post by ODES_PDES)
    Lucky you!!
    Haha thanks! What's even better is that my university is giving me £800 to go; cuts costs right down!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    I was supposed to be going to Brasil/Argentina this summer but can't get the time off! I'm jealous of you.

Have a look at travelwiki and TripAdvisor, it has some cool things to do.
    Oh no, that's such a shame! Do you speak either of the languages?
    Ahh yeah that's a good idea, didn't even think of TravelWiki! Will have a peruse now

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, that's such a shame! Do you speak either of the languages?
    Ahh yeah that's a good idea, didn't even think of TravelWiki! Will have a peruse now
    I don't unfortunately!

I'm not sure what your interests are, but I think there are some cool spots to surf in Rio if you're into that sort of thing!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! I'm actually staying in Copacabana so the beach will definitely be a must! I'll visit the Christ statue too, and thank you for the tip
    No worries hun! I'll also say that the heat is going to hit you hard and don't bother packing jeans. You won't be able to wear jeans comfortably in the humidity.. And bathe in mosquito repellent. There's loads in Brazil

ReputationRep:
    I don't unfortunately!

I'm not sure what your interests are, but I think there are some cool spots to surf in Rio if you're into that sort of thing!
    That's such a shame!

I've never actually learnt to surf, always felt like I should but never got around to it :P

ReputationRep:
    No worries hun! I'll also say that the heat is going to hit you hard and don't bother packing jeans. You won't be able to wear jeans comfortably in the humidity.. And bathe in mosquito repellent. There's loads in Brazil
    Ah yep will do, April is supposed to be the rainiest month of the year too so I'm sure the humidity will be killer! Mosquito repellent is definitely a must, thanks!

I'd love to visit the rainforest while I'm there but (obviously) it's quite a long way away - do you think it's doable or not worth the hassle?

ReputationRep:
    That's such a shame!

I've never actually learnt to surf, always felt like I should but never got around to it :P
    It's lush, especially in a place of high humidity. Nothing like getting in the water. It will be cheap to learn if you ever fancied it! Does usually require getting up early in the morning, but it's so much fun.

How is your speaking coming along anyway? Is this A level?

ReputationRep:
    Ah yep will do, April is supposed to be the rainiest month of the year too so I'm sure the humidity will be killer! Mosquito repellent is definitely a must, thanks!

I'd love to visit the rainforest while I'm there but (obviously) it's quite a long way away - do you think it's doable or not worth the hassle?
    Been to the rainforest and IT WAS AMAZING. Some people call it the green hell of earth but it's lovely there.

The closest place is Manaus and the people in general are very nice to people who have an interest in the rainforest. I'd say if you do want to, then take some money aside for the flight because it can be expensive.

ReputationRep:
    It's lush, especially in a place of high humidity. Nothing like getting in the water. It will be cheap to learn if you ever fancied it! Does usually require getting up early in the morning, but it's so much fun.

How is your speaking coming along anyway? Is this A level?
    Ahh yeah I bet you're right; it sounds great! I'm sure that in Brazil it will be even cheaper than it might be elsewhere too!

This is for my undergraduate degree, and my uni gave me £800 to go it's going pretty well thanks, this is my sixth language so it's a lot easier for me

ReputationRep:
    Been to the rainforest and IT WAS AMAZING. Some people call it the green hell of earth but it's lovely there.

The closest place is Manaus and the people in general are very nice to people who have an interest in the rainforest. I'd say if you do want to, then take some money aside for the flight because it can be expensive.
    I'll have a look into it, thanks my lovely I kinda feel that if I don't go to the rainforest I'd be missing out, so if it's not too expensive I'll go!

ReputationRep:
    I'll have a look into it, thanks my lovely I kinda feel that if I don't go to the rainforest I'd be missing out, so if it's not too expensive I'll go!
    The rainforest is a ***** in terms of humidity but there's something oddly peaceful about it. That's what I was like anyway.. Have funn

ReputationRep:
    Ahh yeah I bet you're right; it sounds great! I'm sure that in Brazil it will be even cheaper than it might be elsewhere too!

This is for my undergraduate degree, and my uni gave me £800 to go it's going pretty well thanks, this is my sixth language so it's a lot easier for me
    What?!

You speak 6 languages?!

ReputationRep:
    What?!

You speak 6 languages?!
    Well a few of them are a work in progress!! I'm fluent in English and Spanish, I could easily live in a French, Italian, or Polish speaking country without issues, and I started an intensive Portuguese course in September, so I'll be at A-Level standard by the end of March and fluent by the end of my degree.

What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Well a few of them are a work in progress!! I'm fluent in English and Spanish, I could easily live in a French, Italian, or Polish speaking country without issues, and I started an intensive Portuguese course in September, so I'll be at A-Level standard by the end of March and fluent by the end of my degree.

What about you?
    That's insane! Polyglot! :adore:

I can't speak any other language other than English which is really sad because I'm from a bilingual family. I'd love to learn French & Urdu though.

ReputationRep:
    That's insane! Polyglot! :adore:

I can't speak any other language other than English which is really sad because I'm from a bilingual family. I'd love to learn French & Urdu though.
    Aha thank you
    You should definitely learn French, it's a beautiful language and if you want to visit Africa it can come in really handy! Can't speak for Urdu obviously but if your family speaks it then you should give it a go, I'm sure they'd appreciate it!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.