Turn on thread page Beta

Trip to Brazil watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by georgiaswift)
    Aha thank you
    You should definitely learn French, it's a beautiful language and if you want to visit Africa it can come in really handy! Can't speak for Urdu obviously but if your family speaks it then you should give it a go, I'm sure they'd appreciate it!
    How have you learned so many languages? Do you use software like Rosetta Stone?

I suppose it really helps if you can visit and immerse yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MountKimbie)
    How have you learned so many languages? Do you use software like Rosetta Stone?

I suppose it really helps if you can visit and immerse yourself.
    No, I've never had to. I learnt Spanish, French and Italian at school, then kept in contact with people who spoke the languages, meaning I was actively using it. Polish is a bit different - where I used to work the kitchen didn't speak any English as they were all Polish, so I learnt phrases here and there and then had then teach me how verbs work and things, and went from there.

Yeah it definitely does, hence the creation of this thread :P

ReputationRep:
    No, I've never had to. I learnt Spanish, French and Italian at school, then kept in contact with people who spoke the languages, meaning I was actively using it. Polish is a bit different - where I used to work the kitchen didn't speak any English as they were all Polish, so I learnt phrases here and there and then had then teach me how verbs work and things, and went from there.

Yeah it definitely does, hence the creation of this thread :P
    Sounds good, you're very talented.

I won't divert your thread anymore

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    So in a few weeks time I'm going to Brazil for a Portuguese practice course in order to prepare for my Portuguese exams. I'll have weekends and evenings off (doing around 09:00-13:00 each weekday) and wondered what you guys would recommend I do? Anywhere you think I should visit? Looking forward to hearing some suggestions

EDIT: I'll be staying in Rio de Janeiro
    heli tour around the city and beware of the high crime rate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    heli tour around the city and beware of the high crime rate

Would a helicopter tour be expensive? I'll have to look into it High crime rate is definitely an issue, especially with the Olympics and the World Cup around the corner. I'll try to stay out of their way and not look too 'tourist-y' :P

ReputationRep:
    Would a helicopter tour be expensive? I'll have to look into it High crime rate is definitely an issue, especially with the Olympics and the World Cup around the corner. I'll try to stay out of their way and not look too 'tourist-y' :P
    i think it's less than the london ones as they take like 6-8 people up so its divided by number rather than a standard price

ReputationRep:
    How long are you going to be there for? I'm sure you'd figure it out yourself but Ipanema and Leblon are nicer beaches than Copacabana so you're better off walking up the shore from Copacabana toward them.

When you visit the Cristo Redentor, queue to get the train up there. There will be people offering (they will sell hard) to take you up in minivans but I wouldn't trust them as safe. (I did go up in one once and the view/ride was crappy compared to the train anyway, so even aside from safety concerns I wouldn't recommend it).

Go to a samba club in Lapa for a night.

Take a food tour: http://eatrio.net/eat-rio-food-tours

Go up Pão de Açúcar at ~5ish (get there an hour earlier to queue and everything) and stay for sunset. Awesome views of the bay and the city.

Don't take towels to the beach unless you want to look like an obvious tourist. Just take a "canga" (a sarong).

Avoid all quiet streets regardless of the time of day.

That's all I can think of right now. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    i think it's less than the london ones as they take like 6-8 people up so its divided by number rather than a standard price
    That makes sense, thanks I looked it up and it seems to be around £200 for 30 minutes, which is v. good value when you think about it!

ReputationRep:
    Ah yep will do, April is supposed to be the rainiest month of the year too so I'm sure the humidity will be killer! Mosquito repellent is definitely a must, thanks!

I'd love to visit the rainforest while I'm there but (obviously) it's quite a long way away - do you think it's doable or not worth the hassle?
    are you not going to miss out on exams hun?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    How long are you going to be there for? I'm sure you'd figure it out yourself but Ipanema and Leblon are nicer beaches than Copacabana so you're better off walking up the shore from Copacabana toward them.

When you visit the Cristo Redentor, queue to get the train up there. There will be people offering (they will sell hard) to take you up in minivans but I wouldn't trust them as safe. (I did go up in one once and the view/ride was crappy compared to the train anyway, so even aside from safety concerns I wouldn't recommend it).

Go to a samba club in Lapa for a night.

Take a food tour: http://eatrio.net/eat-rio-food-tours

Go up Pão de Açúcar at ~5ish (get there an hour earlier to queue and everything) and stay for sunset. Awesome views of the bay and the city.

Don't take towels to the beach unless you want to look like an obvious tourist. Just take a "canga" (a sarong).

Avoid all quiet streets regardless of the time of day.

That's all I can think of right now. Feel free to PM me if you want to know more.
    I'm going for nearly three weeks in April. That's good advice, I'll definitely have to check those beaches out!

The train would be good, thank you for letting me know!

Pão de Açúcar is supposed to be absolutely beautiful at sunset so that will be a definite must.

I really appreciate all the advice you've given me here, it's really helpful, so thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by malaikaxx)
    are you not going to miss out on exams hun?
    My exams aren't until the end of May, and I'm going in April

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend you take me with you...

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any advice other than to stay safe, keep to busy areas and be around people you know if you can, boa sorte!

ReputationRep:
    Visit the Maracana, some hotels/agency offer shuttles for day visits and day games.
    And take a caipirinha and a "batida" (passion fruit, for example).

enjoy!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.