username2441671
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I take ICT as a GCSE. My school must have found a loophole or something because instead of taking the actual course with all the coursework and the exam, we take this online test called ECDL. This stands for European Computer Driving Licence.

This online test requires you to know the basics of Word, Excel and Powerpoint and requires you to be able to demonstrate those skills. It asks you incredibly easy questions, one being "Save the word document as "Forms.doc"". This test was so easy that 80% of my class got an A*. I don't know why but ECDL apparently gives us an A* in ICT even though we don't have to take the actual exam or do any of the coursework.

Has anyone heard about this ECDL? I was wondering if there would be any problems or restrictions it could give me.
Bapujisamji
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The ECDL course is not an equivalent of GCSE ICT but on the contrary it is a completely different course and is not even a GCSE. Traditionally most medicine student s would take the course to prove that they are computer literate but nowadays that is expected. At my school it is done for students who cannot cope with GCSE ICT/Computing/Economics.
username2441671
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Bapujisamji)
The ECDL course is not an equivalent of GCSE ICT but on the contrary it is a completely different course and is not even a GCSE. Traditionally most medicine student s would take the course to prove that they are computer literate but nowadays that is expected. At my school it is done for students who cannot cope with GCSE ICT/Computing/Economics.
So it won't count for anything?
Lemur14
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by BillyCockell;[url="tel:63612717")
63612717[/url]]So it won't count for anything?
We were told it was a GCSE equivalent. It's a core subject in our school but in our top set our entire class got distinction* on the first 2 modules and then ~95% got a distinction* on the third module so it is relativeky easy but that doesn't stop it counting as a GCSE equivalent. It's not a direct equivalent of GCSE IT as it tests different skills but it is a perfectly acceptable IT qualification.
Bapujisamji
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It won't count towards GCSE ICT but is a completely different qualification. Some sixth forms don't accept these as GCSE equivalents
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (461)
56.63%
I don't have everything I need (353)
43.37%

Watched Threads