Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have been offered a School Direct placement in September and now I need to pass my skills test. I have tried looking online for the percentage needed to pass however, I cannot find a concrete answer.

Does anyone know for definite?
    If you have taken the test and passed recently (late 2015 and onwards) what did you get?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadybee)
    Hi,

I have been offered a School Direct placement in September and now I need to pass my skills test. I have tried looking online for the percentage needed to pass however, I cannot find a concrete answer.

If you have taken the test and passed recently (late 2015 and onwards) what did you get?

Thanks
    Hey Shadybee,
    I have just started a teacher training course with Newman University in Birmingham. So I had to do my skills tests last year. I think the pass mark is approximately 63%. However tests with slightly harder questions will have a slightly lower pass mark and a test with slightly easier questions will have a slightly higher pass mark.
    When I took the test last year I got a sheet of paper saying I had passed, but I don't recall whether it had the percentage I got on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TerrificTeacher)
    Hey Shadybee,
    I have just started a teacher training course with Newman University in Birmingham. So I had to do my skills tests last year. I think the pass mark is approximately 63%. However tests with slightly harder questions will have a slightly lower pass mark and a test with slightly easier questions will have a slightly higher pass mark.
    When I took the test last year I got a sheet of paper saying I had passed, but I don't recall whether it had the percentage I got on it.
    Thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    I did mine last month and passed. As above, you just get a bit of paper saying pass or fail at the end, without a specific mark. The tests weren't that hard, basically GCSE maths and English. Make sure you do a few online practise tests and you'll be fine!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadybee)
    Hi,

Thanks
    Hi

The pass mark is 63%. I would like to be honest with you, both literacy and numeracy are not as easy as what someone is saying on here. Numeracy is even harder. You just have to be well prepared. You have 3 chances, so when you do not pass first time you can resit. I think its a good idea for you to go on 'Professional Skills Tests student room discussion' and get several students' views and experiences on this.

Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I thought it was significantly harder than the practice ones! I was shocked that i'd passed haha. Best advice is practice practice practice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 24rose5)
    Hi

The pass mark is 63%. I would like to be honest with you, both literacy and numeracy are not as easy as what someone is saying on here. Numeracy is even harder. You just have to be well prepared. You have 3 chances, so when you do not pass first time you can resit. I think its a good idea for you to go on 'Professional Skills Tests student room discussion' and get several students' views and experiences on this.

Hope this helps.
    Thanks, I am practising like crazy, especially for the numeracy test.

ReputationRep:
    I found the literacy test was the same level as the ones online however the numeracy test I found much easier than the tests online!

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I have to pass the skills tests before Jan 2017. Is the pass rate approx. 63% for both numeracy and literacy? I can't find much info on the internet about both pass marks.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I am due to take these tests within the next 4 weeks and I am dreading it as I am only getting about 50% right! any tips? would be greatly appreciated !

ReputationRep:
    How did you get on? Im very nervous

ReputationRep:
    Numeracy Ready is excellent for help preparing for that particular skills test.

The main thing with the numeracy test is not the difficulty of the content (it's around GCSE Maths, maybe not even) but rather the technique that seems to freak most people out. It needn't. You will have pen/paper with you, so write down your times tables and any other crucial information before the test starts (you are allowed to do this). Each mental maths question is read to you twice. During the first reading you can note key information. During the second reading you can double-check this information and maybe even start to work out the answer. Only once the second reading is complete does the timing start! So please don't let this worry you.

ReputationRep:
    I took the numeracy test in Croydon a few months ago and I wasn't allowed to write anything before the test- I started to and got told I couldn't, someone even stood over me until I had pressed 'start test'. Mind you, I also had to take my glasses off so they could be checked for Bluetooth devices so maybe it was just the Cronx being ghetto...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.