Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So I'm 16, male and bisexual. I have never had a relationship and am looking for one with either a man or a woman, but the problem is I have no way of telling if men are straight or not. I have gay friends and they claim that they have a 'gaydar' that tells them if a person is straight or not, this is a skill that I do not possess. Also I have not come out yet so I'm really not up for directly asking a person which way they swing.
    Any tips you could give me?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    At one point, most gay and bisexual men found their first male sexual partner at school. That's now changed to going online, somewhere where it's obvious because people say.

Exactly where depends, in part, on what you are looking for: casual sex or a relationship.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    So I'm 16, male and bisexual. I have never had a relationship and am looking for one with either a man or a woman, but the problem is I have no way of telling if men are straight or not. I have gay friends and they claim that they have a 'gaydar' that tells them if a person is straight or not, this is a skill that I do not possess. Also I have not come out yet so I'm really not up for directly asking a person which way they swing.
    Best way is to just simply get to know people and find out what they like, if you're wanting to have an actual relationship. If, however, you're just wanting some learning experiences, ask your gay friends to help you out?

ReputationRep:
    online may be the best place to look or are there any LGBT groups in your area.

ReputationRep:
    LGBT groups or gay bars, depending on where you live and how open it is to same-sex relationships/encounters. You can also try dating sites.

Protip: Never go somewhere alone with someone unless you've met them several times. Keep it to public areas.

ReputationRep:
    Grindr?

ReputationRep:
    At the YMCA, it's good stay at the YMCA

Also I'm pretty sure gay bars are there for that sorta thing

ReputationRep:
    This is balls. So much balls. You cannot tell if a person is straight or gay or whatever. You can't 100% be sure until you ask that person.

ReputationRep:
    You ain't asking people which way they swing, people ain't asking you which way you swing, and when people do ask which way you swing - you say you not even swinging in that way?!

Man, I think you solved this riddle yourself.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by stefano865)
    Grindr?
    For casual sex, fine. For 'a relationship', I don't think so.

ReputationRep:
    Eyes, face and the way they act.
    If you get a woman face then a gay man face, you will notice trends.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thefatone)
    This is balls. So much balls. You cannot tell if a person is straight or gay or whatever. You can't 100% be sure until you ask that person.
    There are some traits such as body language and behaviour that can imply whether someone is gay though, though you're right about needing to ask to be sure. One of my mates wasn't open for a long time but quite a few of us noticed he behaved and walked a certain way that suggested he might be gay. I picked up on it quite quickly since I spent most time with him, although I didn't ask since I didn't really need to know. Eventually he felt comfortable enough to come out, which was good. Another guy I knew before him was bisexual also had a few similar mannerisms. Not saying all non-het guys do this, of course, but these two in particular did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vennec)
    There are some traits such as body language and behaviour that can imply whether someone is gay though, though you're right about needing to ask to be sure. One of my mates wasn't open for a long time but quite a few of us noticed he behaved and walked a certain way that suggested he might be gay. I picked up on it quite quickly since I spent most time with him, although I didn't ask since I didn't really need to know. Eventually he felt comfortable enough to come out, which was good. Another guy I knew before him was bisexual also had a few similar mannerisms. Not saying all non-het guys do this, of course, but these two in particular did.
    you can be almost sure but never 100%

I'm a lesbian and Im in a similsr situation. One way that I slyly try to determine someone's sexuality is by asking what TV shows they're into. If she says carmilla, faking it, glee or the L word then I know what's up you could try something similar because this method is unlikely to let the other person know that you're gay.

Obviously, this is a kinda stupid way to figure it out. You could always use dating websites, go on online lgbt forums/tumblr or meet people bough your gay friends?

ReputationRep:
    East London Mosque. Plus they're all bearded, ifyaknowwhatImean

ReputationRep:

I think you may even be able to get a handheld version, but the range is not as far.

It is difficult to spot these days as a lot of guys from their early twenties and younger will dress like the guys from One Direction, who somehow tick all of the boxes in the gay criteria, yet are not actually gay (I know, right?).

You could always set a trap. Purchase a copy of Madonna's Greatest Hits. Place it under a box. Hold the box up with a stick. Tie a rope to the stick. When the gay is under the box, pull the rope. Simple.
    Attachments Pending Approval
  1. File Type: jpg 2014-04-28-gaydar.jpg (325.7 KB)
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    One way that I slyly try to determine someone's sexuality is by asking what TV shows they're into. If she says carmilla, faking it, glee or the L word then I know what's up
    One of the terrible Kindle sexuality 'books' available on Amazon said that if a man liked Lady Gaga HE IS GAY FOR SURE!

I am still amused by the first edition of the Joy of Gay Sex which told its US readers that in Europe, just because a man likes opera doesn't mean he's gay...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.