Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I started a business halfway through my undergrad. It was mostly a hobby to top up my income. At the end of my undergrad, I was accepted for a PhD and started it. The business was still a hobby.

My business has grown an incredible amount since I started the PhD without that being the intention. I have a good income from it and also employ 4 students to help out.

Whereas I have tried to balance the business and the PhD, the reality is that both are suffering, especially the PhD. That was not the intention - but it is easy to fall behind on a PhD, sadly. I'm halfway through the second year of my PhD and have nearly satisfied the minimum requirements to get the qualification.

I have also realised that academia is probably not for me. I enjoy research, the university environment and my research area. I have 3 great supervisors, a good stipend etc. but I don't think it is my ideal career path.

My supervisors are all aware that I have the business and that it has grown and have been passively supportive. I think they have assumed that I am managing both well, which is not really the case. The PhD in particular, is a bit behind and I don't think my supervisors are fully aware.

Anyway, my main supervisor commented in passing, by chance, that I have almost satisfied the minimum requirements for my PhD and could, if I wanted to, stop attending, write my thesis in my own time, submit it and get the degree.

Honestly, this sounds ideal, so I can satisfy myself that I have achieved something with the time that I have invested in the PhD and get the qualification (I know it won't be good enough for a job in academia but I have already established that is probably not for me).

My plan is to finish and submit my current publications and then speak to them about my plan. I am very anxious about the conversation and how the consequences might pan out, which is why I am here. Can anyone comment on "wrapping up" a PhD - the process, making sure you get the qualification, not creating any negative feelings and how they felt about it afterwards?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by theburningcat)
    My supervisors are all aware that I have the business and that it has grown and have been passively supportive. I think they have assumed that I am managing both well, which is not really the case. The PhD in particular, is a bit behind and I don't think my supervisors are fully aware.

Anyway, my main supervisor commented in passing, by chance, that I have almost satisfied the minimum requirements for my PhD and could, if I wanted to, stop attending, write my thesis in my own time, submit it and get the degree.

Honestly, this sounds ideal, so I can satisfy myself that I have achieved something with the time that I have invested in the PhD and get the qualification (I know it won't be good enough for a job in academia but I have already established that is probably not for me).

My plan is to finish and submit my current publications and then speak to them about my plan. I am very anxious about the conversation and how the consequences might pan out, which is why I am here. Can anyone comment on "wrapping up" a PhD - the process, making sure you get the qualification, not creating any negative feelings and how they felt about it afterwards?
    Just be upfront and honest with your supervisors. For the most part, they will be aware that the majority of PhD students do not continue into academia. Most of supervisors I know personally are happy to help a former student get a job, either via their own networks, or writing letters of recommendation. One supervisor was actively pushing for a student to enter a MBA program after said student realised his interests were more aligned with corporate than research.

In terms of wrapping up, talking to your supervisor is your best option. They will have a better idea of the requirements, and how strong your thesis is.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.