Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Good evening,I am an EU bachelor and I am planning to study in Uk the following year. I have recieved an offer for an Msc in Finance from Birkbeck University and another offer for an Investment Management Msc from the University of Surrey. In my future I would like to find a job in the investment/financial field.For this reason I would like to know wich of those Universities have a better reputation for this accademic path and wich one would allow me to have an esaily employability. (In terms of accademic outlook and regardless my personal abilities)Many thanks,Marco.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marcozanandrea)
    Good evening,I am an EU bachelor and I am planning to study in Uk the following year. I have recieved an offer for an Msc in Finance from Birkbeck University and another offer for an Investment Management Msc from the University of Surrey. In my future I would like to find a job in the investment/financial field.For this reason I would like to know wich of those Universities have a better reputation for this accademic path and wich one would allow me to have an esaily employability. (In terms of accademic outlook and regardless my personal abilities)Many thanks,Marco.
    I am a Surrey postgrad myself and I really like the uni and my course (although not finance-related). A couple of guys I know study Finance and they are satisfied with their courses as well.

I can tell you the uni is visited by many financial and investment firms in careers fairs and weekly events, e.g. Big 4, M&G, HSBC, RBS and other smaller firms, so you would definitely have a chance to move in the field you want.

However, if you are aiming for high-finance jobs, like Investment Banking, I don't think that any of the two universities is the way to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KTS89)
    I am a Surrey postgrad myself and I really like the uni and my course (although not finance-related). A couple of guys I know study Finance and they are satisfied with their courses as well.

I can tell you the uni is visited by many financial and investment firms in careers fairs and weekly events, e.g. Big 4, M&G, HSBC, RBS and other smaller firms, so you would definitely have a chance to move in the field you want.

However, if you are aiming for high-finance jobs, like Investment Banking, I don't think that any of the two universities is the way to go.
    Hi

Thank you for your precious tips. I really like the Uni of Surrey, its location and the campus as well. My concern is just about its ranking in the accounting and finance department. In fact, I am applying for a Msc in Investment Management that is a kind of "dark"/untraditional course despite the traditional Msc in Finance.

I was wondering why do you think that those are not the right Universities for a financial career?
    I know that there are many other Universities in London that are better in this field; like LSE or London Business School but in term of entry requirment and fees+living costs, they are out of the league for me. Considering also the fact that I would like to study not too far from the London area my options are Queen Mary, Southampton (but I don't have the offer from those yet), Middlesex, Greenwich (that are very low ranked) Surrey and Birkbeck.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

Thank you for your precious tips. I really like the Uni of Surrey, its location and the campus as well. My concern is just about its ranking in the accounting and finance department. In fact, I am applying for a Msc in Investment Management that is a kind of "dark"/untraditional course despite the traditional Msc in Finance.

I was wondering why do you think that those are not the right Universities for a financial career?
    I know that there are many other Universities in London that are better in this field; like LSE or London Business School but in term of entry requirment and fees+living costs, they are out of the league for me. Considering also the fact that I would like to study not too far from the London area my options are Queen Mary, Southampton (but I don't have the offer from those yet), Middlesex, Greenwich (that are very low ranked) Surrey and Birkbeck.
    You will have many chances for a career in Finance, don't worry about that.

What I said is that if you are aiming for high finance like Investment Banking, you need to study at a target or semi-target university in order to increase your chances, which will be very slim if you choose any of the ones you listed before.

It's not that the unis are bad, but due to the high competition for these places and the high-profile companies, it's unlikely that without a degree from a target/semi-target university you will stand much chance.

Once again though, for the majority of roles like Accountancy, Risk, Corporate Finance etc. you would be set.

ReputationRep:
    Ok understood! Thank you again for your help and good luck for your future

ReputationRep:
    Ok understood! Thank you again for your help and good luck for your future
    To you too, my friend.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.