Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm in Year 11 studying all three sciences. Originally I wanted to take chemistry at A level but I'm concerned, as I already find some concepts in the later stages in the course very hard to grasp. Not taking chemistry could considerably limit my career options - but I worry that if I do take it and fail, I would have wasted the opportunity to walk into life with a fourth A Level. How hard is the chemistry course considering the content, structure and assessment methods?

ReputationRep:
    GCSE: A*
    AS Mock: C

If you want to do well in A-level chem ( and pretty much all science subjects) you HAVE to revise as much as possible if you want to get the best grade. AS chem is basically building up on the stuff u did at GCSE, such as intermolecular forces, enthalpy changes etc. It is a quite a big jump up, especially if ur teachers are *****y, but there are plenty of helpful resources out there for chemistry, so if you are willing to revise and put in the hard work, im sure you will do fine & enjoy the subject!

ReputationRep:
    A lot of people find Chemistry hard but if you put the work in you will succeed.

ReputationRep:
    It's a trap. I'm still triggered from AS chemistry. Not everyone agrees on how difficult it is, but it's definitely the hardest to revise of the 3 sciences imo (despite not having the most content)

Biology is just reading a text book. Physics is being good at maths+reading a text. But the chemistry is just a mess. I can never tell what's irrelevant and what i actually need to know. There's so much pointless detail in the books.

Also, I'd say it's the only science you couldn't teach yourself if your teacher was awful. With biology and physics i managed. But if you don't pay attention in class for chemistry you're screwed. Attempting to learn the content by your self is tedious and frustrating.

I got an A* in it at GCSE but a C at AS level so that summed my year up. Learn from my mistakes. Don't be too lazy to take notes in class because you're assuming the text book will properly explain it to you.

ReputationRep:
    I've taken chemistry on to A2 and honestly it's the subject I personally have to try the least in to come out with a good grade:confused: which i find really odd I hated the subject as GCSE but I wanted to progress into sciences and now It's honestly great!
    If you're not sure yet, maybe think about other options but i would suggest taking it, and if you don't end up liking the course you can always switch early on during the year

ReputationRep:
    you haveeeeee to make sure you fully understand gcse chem if you wanna take it to a level. i'd say it's probably the hardest level hashtag dont @ me

ReputationRep:
    although it is quite interesting, a bit maths-y though especially at A2 but nothing bad

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. SAE Institute
    Animation, Audio, Film, Games, Music, Business, Web Further education
    Thu, 16 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.