Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi all! I am really keen to study oriental studies (Mandarin) + Spanish at Oxford. I used to think applying there would be unrealistic, however after having visited an Oxbridge convention I realised how greatly the Oxford course suits my learning style and the course content interests me greatly. Thus, I am now considering giving it a go - it's worth a try! I got 7As 3A*s and 1B at GCSE. I recognise this is below the average, does anyone know if I still have a chance of being interviewed? Also, I am eager to do further reading and have started reading Spanish novels, however wondered if anyone has any ideas of what I could look into to enhance my knowledge of chinese history and culture? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sonnet)
    Hi all! I am really keen to study oriental studies (Mandarin) + Spanish at Oxford. I used to think applying there would be unrealistic, however after having visited an Oxbridge convention I realised how greatly the Oxford course suits my learning style and the course content interests me greatly. Thus, I am now considering giving it a go - it's worth a try! I got 7As 3A*s and 1B at GCSE. I recognise this is below the average, does anyone know if I still have a chance of being interviewed? Also, I am eager to do further reading and have started reading Spanish novels, however wondered if anyone has any ideas of what I could look into to enhance my knowledge of chinese history and culture? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Yeah I think with those grades you definitely stand a chance of getting an interview, what is the average gcse score?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I had an interview for Egyptology, but wasn't successful in getting a place. I achieved 7 A*s, 2 As and 1 B at GCSE, so it's perfectly possible to get an interview and I'm sure it's possible to get in with those grades as well. Read some introductions to Chinese history, maybe the fall of the Qing Dynasty and the rise of Mao, and try learning some of the basic characters. If you need any tips, I've studied Japanese as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    At GCSE I got 2A*s 6As and 2Bs, and AABC at AS.... I'm now a second year history student at Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    I had an interview for Egyptology, but wasn't successful in getting a place. I achieved 7 A*s, 2 As and 1 B at GCSE, so it's perfectly possible to get an interview and I'm sure it's possible to get in with those grades as well. Read some introductions to Chinese history, maybe the fall of the Qing Dynasty and the rise of Mao, and try learning some of the basic characters. If you need any tips, I've studied Japanese as well.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's so helpful! Thank you very much Will definitely look into them! How are you finding studying there?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    Yeah I think with those grades you definitely stand a chance of getting an interview, what is the average gcse score?
    The average has 6.2 A*s I think
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That's so helpful! Thank you very much Will definitely look into them! How are you finding studying there?
    I said in my post I got rejected, ha ha . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by colourtheory)
    At GCSE I got 2A*s 6As and 2Bs, and AABC at AS.... I'm now a second year history student at Oxford.

What do you think stood you out from the rest of the competition like did you stand out at interview or smash the HAT or what?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thomb)
    What do you think stood you out from the rest of the competition like did you stand out at interview or smash the HAT or what?
    Great HAT, two v. good interviews

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Edminzodo)
    I said in my post I got rejected, ha ha . . .

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Sorry! haha I had read another reply before about it so must have got them confused. Still thanks for the help

ReputationRep:
    Will Oriental Studies get you a job?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cato the Elder)
    Will Oriental Studies get you a job?
    Definitely! Mandarin is on the rise and knowing the language can help tremendously with work; either way, I personally don't think any degree should be chosen merely for it's career prospects - if you enjoy something do it

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

First of all, it's not possible to study Chinese with Spanish at Oxford, so you would need to decide whether you'd apply for Oriental Studies (Chinese) or Modern Languages (Spanish). The only possible Oriental Studies + Modern Language combination at Oxford is a Middle Eastern language with a European language. Your GCSEs are by no means bad, so you definitely still stand a chance of being interviewed (the majority of candidates are anyway).

If you want to apply for Chinese, then you should start doing some further reading related to China (history, culture etc.). Any reading of Spanish literature would be largely irrelevant to Chinese, unless you can find some way of linking Spain to China that makes it relevant! (I did German reading and linked it to Japanese literature, so it can be done!) I can't really suggest to you what things you should be reading, as I don't know what your interests are, so you need to go think about what it is about China/Chinese that makes you want to dedicate 4 years to studying it, and go from there.

I applied for Japanese in 2015 and was rejected, but reapplied this year and have an offer, so I know the whole process very well! Feel free to ask if you have any questions on my application or Oriental Studies in general

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm considering applying to do Oriental Studies (but Japanese) but I didn't think you could also do a European language with that there...
    Only if you were doing a Middle Eastern language...

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.