Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade Goodey)
    As I said, I made two points. One about QMUL being an A*AA course (general) and one about QMUL not taking in people below AAA (present-specific). My general comparison was over many years, but my specific comment was not over many years. Again, sweet child, do not conflate the two.

I never said "mostly A*A*A*A*". Let's get that clear. I know you have issues with reading comprehension and all, but let's be absolutely clear -- I never said that.

Your point was that if most everyone is predicted A*A*A*, then it would create the impression that one would need A*A*A* on results day to be accepted. That was the framing of your first argument. The context of that comment explained that this was not true. Now you're attacking the argument I made about most people having A*A*A* prediction. Slight hyperbole on my part, but still majority of people who apply to LSE (i.e. people who don't happen to go to your school) do apply with A*A*A* predictions. Does this harm their app? No because universities are wise to this ruse (as explained in that thread).

You're trying to argue another point entirely just to cover up your mistake about Manc's reputation, and failing on that separate argument as well. Don't you think it time to step away from the keyboard?
    I will step away form the keyboard, because your truly intolerable. Ok, you said 'many have A*A*A*A*', not 'most' - big difference. You did, however, say 'all students have A*A*A*'. And Nope my point was never that you needed A*A*A* on results day. My point was that your post gives the impression that prospective students shoulnt apply unless they have A*A*A*+ predictions - which is of course ridiculous. How you can go so many messages and completely miss the point is beyond me. Thankfully it appears to be beyond other users too, and hopefully everyone else who reads this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by guest115)
    I will step away form the keyboard, because your truly intolerable. Ok, you said 'many have A*A*A*A*', not 'most' - big difference. You did, however, say 'all students have A*A*A*'. And Nope my point was never that you needed A*A*A* on results day. My point was that your post gives the impression that prospective students shoulnt apply unless they have A*A*A*+ predictions - which is of course ridiculous. How you can go so many messages and completely miss the point is beyond me. Thankfully it appears to be beyond other users too, and hopefully everyone else who reads this thread.
    So is your grammar.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade Goodey)
    As I said, I made two points. One about QMUL being an A*AA course (general) and one about QMUL not taking in people below AAA (present-specific). My general comparison was over many years, but my specific comment was not over many years. Again, sweet child, do not conflate the two.
    Does that actually make any sense to you? And even so, do you expect me to read your mind?

Of course I don't really buy this.

In any case, I'm done here. I think you need to re-evaluate your approach to things.
    Peace.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Does that actually make any sense to you? And even so, do you expect me to read your mind?

Of course I don't really buy this.

In any case, I'm done here. I think you need to re-evaluate your approach to things.
    Peace.
    Don't read my mind. I'd go to jail if anyone knew my thoughts. Just read my verbs.

ReputationRep:
    I was predicted A*AA, my school generally don't give A* predictions unless you get 100ums. Many schools actually follow a similar policy, and some just lie. Which is why LSE will take much more notice of your AS scores, and other factors when accepting candidates. The minimum requirements are A*AA, and people who are predicted A*AA receive offers for LSE law. To say you need 3 or more A* predictions is preposterous.
    LSE doesn't ask for AS scores (UMS) except for Economics, Economics and/with maths

ReputationRep:
    Guys thanks for the replies! I'm intending of securing a training contract at a law firm (MC or not) in the UK (either Manchester or London), having my LPC paid. I'd like to ask anyone with knowledge on the matter about the weight I should give to researches such as the one of chambersstudents( http://www.chambersstudent.com/where...nees-come-from ) and The Flyer's Project, since they clearly present the University of Manchester as a much more respected institution by many of the biggest law firms ( providing many more trainees) than QMUL. I know the difference may indeed be minimal though Mile End area and the cost of living could be proved to be deciding factors at the end for me. Though still undecided and confused therefore your opinion could help. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Punisher95)
    Guys thanks for the replies! I'm intending of securing a training contract at a law firm (MC or not) in the UK (either Manchester or London), having my LPC paid. I'd like to ask anyone with knowledge on the matter about the weight I should give to researches such as the one of chambersstudents( http://www.chambersstudent.com/where...nees-come-from ) and The Flyer's Project, since they clearly present the University of Manchester as a much more respected institution by many of the biggest law firms ( providing many more trainees) than QMUL. I know the difference may indeed be minimal though Mile End area and the cost of living could be proved to be deciding factors at the end for me. Though still undecided and confused therefore your opinion could help. Thanks.
    I think the chambers student study can give a good general indication of how well uni's are perceived, but not much more. It is useful to know the variety of universities appearing in the magic circle.
    But the orders are sometimes misleading, for example LSE features below bristol in the magic circle, but this is likely more down to the low student body and choice of other careers - rather than lse being seen as less reputable.

ReputationRep:
    I think the chambers student study can give a good general indication of how well uni's are perceived, but not much more. It is useful to know the variety of universities appearing in the magic circle.
    But the orders are sometimes misleading, for example LSE features below bristol in the magic circle, but this is likely more down to the low student body and choice of other careers - rather than lse being seen as less reputable.
    While your point is completely true, it should be.noted that LSE is, for some reason, more towards US firms than MC firms. Can't blame them tbh...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    While your point is completely true, it should be.noted that LSE is, for some reason, more towards US firms than MC firms. Can't blame them tbh...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do you happen to know when the study was conducted? I am slightly surprised qmul features so poorly in london firms - below soas and royal holloway.

ReputationRep:
    Do you happen to know when the study was conducted? I am slightly surprised qmul features so poorly in london firms - below soas and royal holloway.
    The one he linked is pretty old - 2012. This is the newest (2016) -http://www.chambersstudent.com/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities

ReputationRep:
    The one he linked is pretty old - 2012. This is the newest (2016) -http://www.chambersstudent.com/where-to-start/newsletter/law-firms-preferred-universities
    Thanks, what do you think about Bristol appearing higher in US firms than UCL?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, what do you think about Bristol appearing higher in US firms than UCL?
    Firstly, one would have to appreciate that it is just a survey, with its inherent weaknesses.

Other than that, it's more or less ok. If I had to rank law schools, it would personally be like this (in no particular order within brackets):

Oxford, Cambridge
    LSE
    UCL, KCL, Durham, Nottingham, Bristol
    Then some others.

UCL will not get any preferential treatment over say, Durham or Bristol or Nottingham - it's just a uni name. Firms use many tools to find the best applicants - uni name is just one of the very many.

ReputationRep:
    You are right for the date of the survey I posted though the 2016 one presents too Manchester as "dominating " the market in contrast to qmul scoring disappointingly low. Since law is one of their strongest depts someone would expect much higher number of qmul grads securing TCs. You know why is that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Punisher95)
    You are right for the date of the survey I posted though the 2016 one presents too Manchester as "dominating " the market in contrast to qmul scoring disappointingly low. Since law is one of their strongest depts someone would expect much higher number of qmul grads securing TCs. You know why is that?
    Perhaps, as been suggested by a few posters, qmul has very recently increased in the rankings. I assume this will take a few years to be reflected in employment figures, given the timely process of legal qualifications. QM has seen a small increase in employment, and I think in a few years it will see higher representation.

Manchester also had a much larger student body than QM, probably 50% more students. Although the law intakes may not be vastly different, this will still make a big difference in the employment figures - as many students from manchester will take law conversion courses.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps, as been suggested by a few posters, qmul has very recently increased in the rankings. I assume this will take a few years to be reflected in employment figures, given the timely process of legal qualifications. QM has seen a small increase in employment, and I think in a few years it will see higher representation.

Manchester also had a much larger student body than QM, probably 50% more students. Although the law intakes may not be vastly different, this will still make a big difference in the employment figures - as many students from manchester will take law conversion courses.
    Rankings will never reflect employment prospects. Never.

Rankings are full of crap, mostly.

ReputationRep:
    Rankings will never reflect employment prospects. Never.

Rankings are full of crap, mostly.
    I agree they are, but in the case of QM i suspect in future chambers studys they will slightly rise up the list, as has been the case since 2012. Though this is not because they have increased in the rankings, but likely a few factors.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.