Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to Soton accommodation too Which halls are you thinking of applying too?

ReputationRep:
    Ensuite is worth it

ReputationRep:
    I am going to apply for an ensuite, tbh I don't feel comfortable sharing others the bathroom.
    Which is better catering or non-catering option ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PlayerBB)
    I am going to apply for an ensuite, tbh I don't feel comfortable sharing others the bathroom.
    Which is better catering or non-catering option ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Completely depends on what you want.

But a few things to consider when looking at catered.

-are you catered for every day or only week days? and do you have cooking facilities for when you're not catered?

-do the catering times (breakfast, lunch +dinner) match up with when you can reasonably get food?

-are you particularly fussy with food?

-do you have specific dietary requirements?

-is it cost beneficial?

It's impossible to say whether or not it would be good for you, only you can answer that. I personally would not like catered because I like to have complete control over what I'm eating and have all the options in front of me rather than having to pick from a set few meals. I also would hate to have to live on the meal schedule, I don't tend to eat at normal times and may not even be around during the dinner time serving as such would likely miss some meals.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year at York and I have an ensuite. It doesn't really bother me too, however it is nice if I get back from having a bit too much to drink then I don't have to worry about other people hearing me throw up and I can watch tv from my toilet.
    I often go to my friends flat where there's 4 toilets between 17 people and I've never had to wait to use one although 3 of them are cubicles similar to what you'd find in a public bathroom.
    The price isn't too bad for me as I moved out for the easter break but my friend pays less than me per week for a shared bathroom with catering, whilst I'm self catered ensuite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    Completely depends on what you want.

But a few things to consider when looking at catered.

-are you catered for every day or only week days? and do you have cooking facilities for when you're not catered?

-do the catering times (breakfast, lunch +dinner) match up with when you can reasonably get food?

-are you particularly fussy with food?

-do you have specific dietary requirements?

-is it cost beneficial?

It's impossible to say whether or not it would be good for you, only you can answer that. I personally would not like catered because I like to have complete control over what I'm eating and have all the options in front of me rather than having to pick from a set few meals. I also would hate to have to live on the meal schedule, I don't tend to eat at normal times and may not even be around during the dinner time serving as such would likely miss some meals.
    Thank you! Personally, like you I don't like having a control over what I am eating and I eat at different times, not restricted like whenever I feel like it so yeah I guess I'll probably be missing few meals!! I was just afraid that maybe I would have a lot of work load that I wouldn't have time to cook to myself and I am kinda a lazy person but I'll save much money if I picked non-catered so that's the option I am thinking of

ReputationRep:
    depends entirely on who you live with... I've heard horror stories of people having to clean vomit of toilets before they could use them, showers overflowing from blocked drains, being charged cos someone keeps putting make up wipes down the toilet etc but I shared a bathroom with a few other girls at one point and the only issue was toilet paper usage which was easily solved by keeping mine in my bedroom, you'll find you occasionally can't get in when you want to but it's easy to work around (having a shoewr in the evening rather than the morning rush for example)

ReputationRep:
    Getting an en-suite room wasn't even up for debate as far as I was concerned last year. I have an ensuite room now, and I wouldn't trade for a shared one. But heres the thing: heading into second year most students go into private rented housing instead of uni halls, and it's most likely you'll end up sharing a bathroom then anyways. There's ensuite rooms in private rented housing of course, but they're far more limited in supply.

So is there any point in getting one in your first year if you're probably going to be sharing in your second and third year? Well, the only thing I can think of is this: in first year, you don't choose who you live with - you could be sharing with anyone. In second/third year, you'll most likely be living with your friends, and you'll know what they're like to share with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoveSandu)
    I'm applying to Soton accommodation too Which halls are you thinking of applying too?
    Think I'm applying for Glen Eyre, heard good things about it and it's one of the biggest so should be good! How about you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJack12)
    Think I'm applying for Glen Eyre, heard good things about it and it's one of the biggest so should be good! How about you?
    Think i'm gonna apply for Glen Eyre aswell! Have you decided the room type?

ReputationRep:
    I was living with people whose hygiene related habits were pretty gross while living in halls, but I don't regret not choosing ensuite. The toilet was mostly ok to use, and if wasn't I would just spray some cleaner and wipe it off with a cloth and that was it. Same with the shower.

I don't quite see how periods come into the equation? If I got blood on anywhere I would just clean it, if for some reason I couldn't access the bathroom bin I would put my pads in the one in my room (and change the bin liner soon after, clearly).
    Maybe I was not fussed because when I moved into halls, I already had a lot of experience of shared flats, and those don't generally come with ensuite.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoveSandu)
    Think i'm gonna apply for Glen Eyre aswell! Have you decided the room type?
    Most probably non-ensuite category 2, you?

ReputationRep:
    i know my friends on got en-suite as he was given a lot by his grandparents to do politics so he took it and invested most of it in shares and some gold (he helped me with shares and i help him with gold) but another friend didn't and admits he'd would have gone for the en-suite and worked to pay for it than having spent so much drinking
    a is at surrey and b is at essex

ReputationRep:
    All three years of my degree I've been on campus and had an ensuite at Essex. Wouldn't trade it tbh. But I also have a physical disability so I kinda need it; I'm always (or have always been) guaranteed accommodation based on medical grounds anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. I'm so grateful I was offered en-suite when I came to uni.

ReputationRep:
    I really want an ensuite but considering I haven't even selected my firm/ insurance choices I probably will be too late getting any choice anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Go for it if you can afford it, but consider the opportunity cost of the money you have to spend on it.

/thread

P.S. My experiences with shared bathrooms during work experience and my Oxford interview were okay - about 10 people shared 4 toilets and 2 showers, and they were always kept immaculate, both by us and the cleaners. I imagine that knowing that you have no choice but to do your daily duty in the same place makes you take care of the facility a lot more...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by triphazards)
    I really want an ensuite but considering I haven't even selected my firm/ insurance choices I probably will be too late getting any choice anyway

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I didn't apply for my insurance choice's accommodation until after results day (I forgot to, and I didn't get the grades for my firm choice). Luckily I was still offered an en-suite room. It's still March. You have nothing to worry about. Just apply for accommodation after you pick your firm and insurance. Don't rush your decisions, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheJack12)
    Most probably non-ensuite category 2, you?
    Probably en suite category 2

ReputationRep:
    Even before I did A levels, I wasn't sure that unis had ensuite rooms and I was terrified. I didn't even have a **** at my ex-girlfriends house, when we dated for over a year. I don't recall ever having a **** at a non-relatives house, even at a relatives house, its super weird.

I even feel weird about peeing in a friends house, I try to be super quiet cause I feel like they're just at the door listening to me pee.

Luckily unis have ensuite rooms or else I'd suffer.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.