Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    when told that the world of anti-depressants was a huge money making scheme id silently disagree as deep down i believed they were there to help me, however i couldn't have been more wrong! under no circumstances am i saying they have a zero effectiveness but i am saying they are very dark.

after not having the best upbringing ( i felt quite traumatised by my fathers violent behaviour and drug abuse) i became a nervous child, following another traumatising experience at the age of 14 i found myself at breaking point. however this was also extremely understandable. all i can remember is being sat in various rooms speaking with different professionals explain my emotional struggle and dark and unusual feelings. my anxiety levels had become extremely high, however i had no idea that things were only going to get worse.

a serotonin up taker was forced upon me, sertraline. crying in fear and desperation i explained how i didn't want to be on medication, however my opinion was pushed aside and did not get noted. shortly after starting this medication i because a wreck. unstable was not the word, i remember not sleeping for 4 whole nights once because i was so aware and aware, and terrified that if i slept id never wake up. depersonalisation and derealisation both greeted me shortly after too. along with pro-longed suicidle thoughts, violent behaviour and episodes of agoraphobia. doctors were aware of this.

despite all of this though my complaints were placed under the rug and forgotten, i had been treated like i was unable to decide what was best for me. treated like i was brain dead. however doctors decided this medication was right for me, 4 years down the line i had ended up on 150mg of sertraline ( almost the highest dose prescribed) . i spent my teenage life druged up and miserable. i can not explain how the racing thoughts and numbness haunted me. on the days where id had enough and decided to put my doctors straight by telling them i needed help and medication wasn't helping, id be prescribed something to take along side them, or they'd put my dose up. earlier this year they prescribed me anti-phycotics to try and ease the anxiety.

what i dont understand is why i was treated like a nobody, why i was ignored and most of all i think that from what i had been through my emotional state was to be expected and extremely normal. how could a tablet help the recovery of the trauma i had witnessed in life? all of this seemed to be ignored though. all of the years spent drugged up instead of healing. now i have recently fount out that i am pregnant so all medication was stopped and now im feeling pretty okay. im no longer suicidle , i sleep perfectly, i don't panic like before, my mood seems to be pretty good. still slightly anxious but no bad at all. I FEEL ROBBED OF YEARS OF MY LIFE.

can anyone comment on what i have shared or have a similar story to share? thank you in advance

ReputationRep:
    What's your question may i kindly ask??

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.