Turn on thread page Beta

Help. Literally no idea what I'm doing with coursework watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing OCR History and my investigations coursework question is:
    18.9 Assess the view that Stalin’s policies in Eastern Europe in 1945-7 were brutal and expansionist.
    I'm on Easter holidays. We've been given an extension on handing it in to 9am friday over email. I have written two paragraphs off the top of my head in this whole time just to make it seem like I was doing something. Sat down really determined today but... I don't think I've ever written an essay without just sorta powering through it using my knowledge. I don't even get the concept of researching and writing like this. It sounds so ridiculous but I don't know how to approach it at all. Any help at all pleaaaase. I am so stupid.

ReputationRep:
    ⁂ Restart yourself

⁂ It seems a relaxed mind is key

⁂ This post requires assistance

⁂ Perhaps someone shall notice it

ReputationRep:
    Hello? History people?

ReputationRep:
    Okay, to write a history essay like this one you've got to first of all, calm the heck down. Second of all writing the essay is fairly simple. Talk about a Stalin's policies and why he made them. Then just write whether or not you think it is brutal and expansionist. Remember to do some research and list your sources.

p.s. is the A-level or GCSE? I did a essay based on whether Kenilworth Castle was nationally or locally important. It's pretty much the same layout.

ReputationRep:
    A level... I don't even remember what on Earth I did to do the GCSE one... I got an A though. We sort of got taught it first though so at least I knew what my general argument was before I started. We also did it 100% in class. This I still don't even know enough to know where I stand.

ReputationRep:
    Here's what I'd do:

1. Think about the terms 'brutal' and 'expansionist'. Define them and make sure you know the difference between them and the sorts of things which are associated with them.

2. Make a list of Stalin's policies in Eastern Europe in this time period and the developments which happened under them.

3. Think about why Stalin had these policies - what was he trying to achieve? Was he just being expansionist or were there other reasons e.g. national security.

4. Link up Stalin's policies with the terms 'brutal' and 'expansionist'. Which ones fit into these categories and which ones don't? For the ones that don't fit in, why don't they fit in? For this, think about his motives and how much Eastern Europe benefited or not from Stalin's takeover.

The most important thing I think when doing an essay you don't understand is to break it down into manageable chunks. Don't try and take it all on at once if you don't want to, just focus on individual paragraphs. Once you've got all the information you need written, you can then reorganise it into an argument.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    CoolCavy
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The irony x
    erm well OP i do AQA history at AS and we haven't studied Russia yet, although that is our coursework topic for next year bc now all coursework is at A2. However i do write a lot of essays so can attempt to help you out so your title is:

'Assess the view that Stalin’s policies in Eastern Europe in 1945-7 were brutal and expansionist.'
    So i'm assuming that means assess whether you disagree or agree with Stalins's policies? note the wording, Brutal and Expansionist. This is important as whether you agree or disagree with something often relies on the wording of the question. For instance a good one to use as an example is 'did society TRANSFORM blah.....' because you could say 'yes society did change .....however it wasn't as drastic as a transformation'. Examiners realy like that sort of in depth analysis and when you slightly challenge the interpretation.
    I would advise you make a list of all the reasons why you would agree with the question and all the reasons you would disagree. Then sort these into some sort of order so you could write paragraphs about them for instance all the social policies together etc etc. Oh and if you need to do it from memory revise that topic first, if not make sure you use ur notes
    hope that helps and ty z33 :hugs: x
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Cool cavy mu friend likes pigs.

Btw OP a shame I didnt see this till today as see it had to be handed in at 9am. cathy and cool cavy both have good approaches.

I'd have done a bit of scene setting explainng the issues facing stalin at the time post war and his concerns, then explained how he expanded and why it was brutal.

Ofc you could take the tack that it wasnt brutal but what was needed and he was justified. With stalin a lot of his personality is reflected in his policies and the way he implemented them.

Sorry was too late.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.